• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Who do you talk sports with?

Family, friends, coworkers?

How in-depth do you get?

Antoine. Only Antoine.

Obviously in my job, I talk sports every day, but it's not always meaningful. 

My 11 year old son is a fucking sponge, and soaks it all in. He knows every player in the Majors, and also loves College and Pro Hoops. i don't watch much football, so he's not that exposed to it. 

My Father passed away in 2003, but we ALWAYS talked sports. He's the reason I became the fan I am today, and it really was the basis of a great relationship for the 32 years we had. 

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Russ and 2 others like this
@beginthebegin71

#3 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

One thing I've always loved is friends i've made over the years who are fans of teams that I'm not a fan of. 

For example, my brother in law is a die hard KC Chiefs fan. how many of us know a die hard KC Chiefs fan?  Another good friend of mine works for the San Francisco Giants, which was his dream job as he's a been a fan his whole life. Another buddy moved to LA after college, and now lives and breathes Dodger baseball. 

No idea why that makes me happy, but it does. 

• Russ likes this
@beginthebegin71

#4 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

I got so used to people I know not giving a shit about baseball that when I meet someone new and they love baseball I'm like a kid at Christmas. Ooh ooh!

I met a guy a few weeks ago who is really well connected with the Blast and we talked about Kenny Cooper and Billy Ronson and all the old Blast teams for an hour or so. That was really a lot of fun.

Whenever I meet a Yankee fan I always find a way to say "What did you think of Torre moving ARod to 3rd when he was clearly the better shortstop?" That's fun.
  • BSLChrisStoner, SBTarheel, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this

#5 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

Whenever I meet a Yankee fan I always find a way to say "What did you think of Torre moving ARod to 3rd when he was clearly the better shortstop?" That's fun.

Me too... except I prefer to phrase it as, "What did you think of Jeter making ARod move to 3rd when ARod was clearly the better SS?"  :-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,549 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

Some family, some co-workers. Ranges from generic surface level stuff to in depth discussion depending on the person. But if it wasn't for this place my life would be much more boring on that front.
  • BSLChrisStoner, SBTarheel, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

My Dad is pretty much it. 

Maybe in passing with others, but nothing consistently.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Pretty much all of my close friends are sports fans -- not all of them like baseball, not all of them like basketball, but there is a healthy mix.

I never run out of people to talk sports with.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

My Dad passed down his love of sports (and the Orioles, Ravens and Terps) to me, so I mainly talk to him. My brother has become a big sports fan in the last couple years, so I talk to him a lot, too. And my grandmother is the biggest Orioles fan I know (die-hard since they moved to Baltimore in 1954). She's not much of a fan of anything else, so we talk Orioles all year long. I've also got two uncles who are big Washington sports fans (have worked/lived in/near D.C. for years), so I fake my way through conversations about the Nats, Redskins, and Caps.

Most of my friends are former classmates at UMD, so lots of Terps talk. And since I was really involved with Athletics there, we get really in-depth. Had a conversation with one about the Women's Soccer team the other day.

My new job is in D.C. (right next to Nats Park), so most people here are D.C. sports fans. Except for my boss, who is from Ohio (yes, an Indians fan).

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

I'm in several facebook groups with friends where we talk barbershop-style stuff, but mostly sports. We don't go into next-gen stuff or anything like that, but we talk about literally every sport in every way.

I talk to a few of you guys (primarily Seth) via e-mail so it doesn't look like I'm using this at work.

Most of the co-worker related conversations I have are very high-level ("hey, you see that game last night?"). We mostly talk about stuff we have no business talking about at work. LOL

#11 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

I don't talk sports much outside of here.  There's a guy I work with who's a pretty big O's fan and my friends and I certainly will but it's not very in-depth.  I certainly don't bring up WAR or xFIP or anything, if you get my drift. Most of my family aren't sports fans at all, my brother is a bit.  Aside from NASCAR my old man couldn't care less about sports.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Dad and me talk every Monday about the Ravens game, and once a week or so about the O's during baseball season. He isn't into the other sports or college sports. A few of my best friends are all sports junkies. One got me into Auburn which has been fun. A Steelers/Pens fan in there too unfortunately. I also talk to this old guy at work every day about sports. He's a Nats (old Senators) fan, Skins and a Terps. He's addicted. I hope that's still me when I'm his age. Every now and then the roommates will try to talk about fantasy which I just ignore for the most part. I've got zero interest in other people's fantasy teams lol.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

This is about it. My mom (lives in FL) and I occasionally text during Ravens games if we are both able to watch, but that isn't often anymore. Most of my friends out here either aren't sports fans or root for different teams, so we don't have a lot of common ground for discussion.

I'm fine with that too. Sports viewing has been taking a backseat to other things in recent years. Especially since I cut the cord on TV a year-and-a-half ago.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback here, interesting thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=