• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

NBC Sports / PBT: Adam Silver: NBA needs four European teams for overseas expansion to work

20 years from now, do you expect this?

The NBA currently has 11 teams right now with winning percentages at below 40%.

If the league expands by 4 teams, do you think there will be enough talent to go around?
(Possibly more talent globally 20 years +/- from now as the game continues to expand.)

(Separately, if the top 4 teams in the Euroleague were in the NBA this year; would they win 10 games?)

EDIT: See this previous thread about Baltimore / NBA.
http://www.baltimore...e-in-baltimore/

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

For a league to successfully go overseas, I think they would need most or all of a division in that region. So this makes sense.

The talent pool would continue to grow over that time, so I have no worries about that. The NBA has generally been a top-heavy league historically, so I don't think adding a few more teams would have much of a negative effect that way.

I think, though, they would be better off associating with Euroleague, or simply financing a rival organization that is, competitively, separate from the NBA, and doing the same elsewhere. That way, they can further organize the sport without putting the whole league at any real risk, and maybe move toward club tournaments with teams from all over the world.

@DJ_McCann

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

Of all the leagues trying to expand beyond Canada, the NBA has the best chance for success. Basketball is the biggest world sport of the big four American leagues and the NBA schedule lends itself to overseas travel.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Silver is correct that you'd need several teams to make it really work. Not just for travel reasons, but to help build continent-wide interest (do you think fans of a London team would get more excited for a game vs the Paris Baguettes or the Milwaukee Bucks?). But before they go adding teams, and thus watering down the talent level, I'd like to see the league come up with something that discourages teams from tanking before their season even starts. That's my biggest issue with the NBA right now.

#5 Elevator Doors

Elevator Doors
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

I think, though, they would be better off associating with Euroleague, or simply financing a rival organization that is, competitively, separate from the NBA, and doing the same elsewhere. That way, they can further organize the sport without putting the whole league at any real risk, and maybe move toward club tournaments with teams from all over the world.

The NBA just did this in the offseason with the major basketball league of Brazil. It's a brilliant move.

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

The NBA just did this in the offseason with the major basketball league of Brazil. It's a brilliant move.

Silver did mention wanting to hold an FA Cup style event in the future. Perhaps this is laying the groundwork for that.

#7 Elevator Doors

Elevator Doors
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Silver did mention wanting to hold an FA Cup style event in the future. Perhaps this is laying the groundwork for that.

Woooo! I'm sure they're also look at ways to profit from all these draft and stash guys that come over years later. If they have a partnership for their leagues, can air some of their games, the anticipation for these guys is already really big to begin with, but you watch some of those and people will get hype.

And Ernie Grunfeld will still find a way to draft a guy who doesn't want to play for his team in the 2nd round.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

NBC Sports / PBT: Rumor: NBA could open expansion bidding this season
http://nba.nbcsports...ng-this-season/

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

Omaha can make a bid but Baltimore can't?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

Omaha can make a bid but Baltimore can't?

Well, they have things Baltimore doesn't. Like an arena. And...well, it really doesn't matter after that. Surprised Kansas City isn't on the list.

I'm rooting for the Louisville Colonels and the Pittsburgh Pisces.

@DJ_McCann

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

Wish Bisciotti or Plank were NBA fans....

@bopper33

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

Wish Bisciotti or Plank were NBA fans....

If Baltimore had an arena, I could see them being interested. But...

@DJ_McCann

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

Just build a fucking arena.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

If Baltimore had an arena, I could see them being interested. But...

What do I have to do to get an arena built?

@bopper33

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:02 AM

Vancouver worked so well the first time.

Pittsburgh has had a renaissance over the last decade, and is moving from purely industrial jobs to more of technology based companies, etc.... but they already have teams in the NFL, MLB, and NHL.... they really have enough corporate dollars to go around for a 4th Major League team... but Baltimore doesn't have enough for a 3rd? 

WTF.

The Omaha Buffets is a more attractive destination for an NBA team vs. Baltimore? Baltimore with the ability for regional rivalries with DC, Philly, NY, Brooklyn, Boston....   and the decreased travel cost between those cities for those teams?

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

Vancouver worked so well the first time.

Pittsburgh has had a renaissance over the last decade, and is moving from purely industrial jobs to more of technology based companies, etc.... but they already have teams in the NFL, MLB, and NHL.... they really have enough corporate dollars to go around for a 4th Major League team... but Baltimore doesn't have enough for a 3rd? 

WTF.

The Omaha Buffets is a more attractive destination for an NBA team vs. Baltimore? Baltimore with the ability for regional rivalries with DC, Philly, NY, Brooklyn, Boston....   and the decreased travel cost between those cities for those teams?

https://en.wikipedia...nk_Center_Omaha

https://en.wikipedia...PG_Paints_Arena

https://en.wikipedia...KFC_Yum!_Center

The argument the NBA would make is that these are all untapped basketball markets with large, new (or relatively new) arenas. Whereas Baltimore's location is more of a disadvantage, being covered by Washington and Philadelphia already, so it wouldn't be growing the league at all. Let alone the Chicken Center of it all.

@DJ_McCann

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

https://en.wikipedia...nk_Center_Omaha

https://en.wikipedia...PG_Paints_Arena

https://en.wikipedia...KFC_Yum!_Center

The argument the NBA would make is that these are all untapped basketball markets with large, new (or relatively new) arenas. Whereas Baltimore's location is more of a disadvantage, being covered by Washington and Philadelphia already, so it wouldn't be growing the league at all. Let alone the Chicken Center of it all.

100% agree that those would be the arguments against.

If there was a new arena (or plans for), I think the geography issue could be addressed. 

Without the arena, you can't even have the conversation.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

This is local delusional stuff. Baltimore doesn't show up to playoff caliber baseball, and we want to add 41 basketball games in a pipe dream of a new arena? Not even close to a possibility.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Would be interesting to see how an NBA team in Omaha would affect Creighton's home basketball attendance. They are annually in the top ten in NCAA attendance with 16,000+ per game.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

This is local delusional stuff. Baltimore doesn't show up to playoff caliber baseball, and we want to add 41 basketball games in a pipe dream of a new arena? Not even close to a possibility.

Attendance is a concern, but much lower on the list imo.

As far as having another pro team... the questions in-order are...

1) An Arena. (Does appear pipe dream ish.)

2) Corporate dollars to go around for the corporate boxes (something I question... but if Pittsburgh can potentially have 4, Baltimore can have 3).

3) TV viewership...   enough eyeballs? Yeah, there are. 

4) League interest in coming here (probably very low... but if you have a suitable space, you can have the conversation.)

5) Attendance...  Not sure I see Baltimore filling 18-20k seats 41 times a year... especially at NBA ticket prices...  but not sure max capacity would be needed for the team to be profitable.

Going back to the O's, the tv ratings are good indication that interest exists....  and were more than enough for the O's to stay profitable even with less ticket sales, and the loss of those corresponding concession dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=