• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Also the directors didn't leave, they were fired because they wanted a more improvisational funny take on Han Solo and the screenwriter wanted a selfish and snarky take.

Especially after TFA turning Solo into a comedic relief kind of character would be insulting.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Also the directors didn't leave, they were fired because they wanted a more improvisational funny take on Han Solo and the screenwriter wanted a selfish and snarky take.

Especially after TFA turning Solo into a comedic relief kind of character would be insulting.

Ron Howard rumoured to be the replacement.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

What else has Rian Johnson done besides Looper? I've heard he's legit, but his IMDB page is a bit skimpy. I get that the director has free reign to make his movie as he should be, but as someone who was disappointed in TFA and then see's these comments from Hamill I'm a little bit worried. Still plan on seeing it and going in with open mind. More concerning, the Directors of the Han Solo movie have just left that project in the middle of filming.
That second part is definitely no bueno. Feels very Edgar Wright/Ant-Man although that didn't happen with just a couple weeks of filming left. Much more concerning than an actor who is only relevant again because Disney bought Star Wars whining that they won't listen to his brilliant ideas.

Rian Johnson is batting 1.000 in my eyes. Three for three with Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper. Wrote and directed all three of those great movies. Give him Star Wars money to play with and there's no doubt in my mind he's gonna knock it out of the park.

Brick is a must watch IMO. Very under appreciated film. Johnson is super talented. That his IMDb profile is scarce, and Disney hired him anyway for Episode VIII speaks to the quality of his work, not the quantity.
  • BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

It's also not at all surprising to see disagreements spark up (in Hollywood) with a project like this with such stature, history and of course, viewpoints/opinions/interpretations, etc. 

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

What else has Rian Johnson done besides Looper? I've heard he's legit, but his IMDB page is a bit skimpy. I get that the director has free reign to make his movie as he should be, but as someone who was disappointed in TFA and then see's these comments from Hamill I'm a little bit worried. Still plan on seeing it and going in with open mind. More concerning, the Directors of the Han Solo movie have just left that project in the middle of filming.
That second part is definitely no bueno. Feels very Edgar Wright/Ant-Man although that didn't happen with just a couple weeks of filming left. Much more concerning than an actor who is only relevant again because Disney bought Star Wars whining that they won't listen to his brilliant ideas. Rian Johnson is batting 1.000 in my eyes. Three for three with Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper. Wrote and directed all three of those great movies. Give him Star Wars money to play with and there's no doubt in my mind he's gonna knock it out of the park.
Brick is a must watch IMO. Very under appreciated film. Johnson is super talented. That his IMDb profile is scarce, and Disney hired him anyway for Episode VIII speaks to the quality of his work, not the quantity.
Also says something that he's the lone creative voice as writer/director. That's very rare in a blockbuster of this magnitude.

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

SW has had some bumps so far.

Michael Arndt replaced as writer of TFA

Josh Trank fired from Episode IX

Dan Gilroy reshoots for Garth Edwards

And now Lord and Miller fired from Han Solo.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

SW has had some bumps so far.

Michael Arndt replaced as writer of TFA

Josh Trank fired from Episode IX

Dan Gilroy reshoots for Garth Edwards

And now Lord and Miller fired from Han Solo.

That's just cause it's SUCH an iconic franchise. They are going to be waaaaaay more protective of things than others. I even wonder some if part of that deal with Lucas didn't have a clause in there that he can have them change directions during the process if he doesn't like where it's going, but they do it completely under the table.

@JeremyMStrain

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

That's just cause it's SUCH an iconic franchise. They are going to be waaaaaay more protective of things than others. I even wonder some if part of that deal with Lucas didn't have a clause in there that he can have them change directions during the process if he doesn't like where it's going, but they do it completely under the table.

I think it's Kathleen Kennedy calling the shots. Lucas isn't involved.

Not surprising they're very mindful of the direction of these films.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

I think it's Kathleen Kennedy calling the shots. Lucas isn't involved.

Not surprising they're very mindful of the direction of these films.

I remember reading that too, but deep down I just feel like there's no way Lucas would have just given it away THAT easy. Maybe I'm wrong but I guess I hoped deep down he kept some kind of say.

@JeremyMStrain

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

I remember reading that too, but deep down I just feel like there's no way Lucas would have just given it away THAT easy. Maybe I'm wrong but I guess I hoped deep down he kept some kind of say.

He made what, $4 billion or something? It wasn't that easy...

It's a good thing Lucas isn't involved.

• BobPhelan likes this

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

He made what, $4 billion or something? It wasn't that easy...

It's a good thing Lucas isn't involved.

Yeah but like most creators with their projects he could have taken it to the grave and ended it where it was too.

He doesn't need to be involved day to day, but money hungry corporations will kill a franchise to milk every penny, even if it dances on the grave of the franchise and what it was originally.

@JeremyMStrain

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

Yeah but like most creators with their projects he could have taken it to the grave and ended it where it was too.

He doesn't need to be involved day to day, but money hungry corporations will kill a franchise to milk every penny, even if it dances on the grave of the franchise and what it was originally.

Well we've had two non-Lucas films that are worlds better than the last 3 SW films he made.

I'll take the Disney versions of SW over Lucas' vision anytime. They've got a pretty good track record shepherding franchises like this.

Lucas did the right thing. He sealed his legacy and set up his descendants for generations while giving fans more SW. He's a great visionary mind but he lost it with age. It happens.

#33 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Yes that's not the right tone for young Han Solo.  I think people forget he was a seedy criminal.  But what did they expect, they hired comedy directors.

#34 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Doesn't pertain to The Last Jedi, but JJ Abrams will write and direct Episode IX after Colin Treverrow was let go last week.

#36 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Doesn't pertain to The Last Jedi, but JJ Abrams will write and direct Episode IX after Colin Treverrow was let go last week.

So Return of the Jedi but with new characters?

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

So Return of the Jedi but with new characters?

Possibly. Can't wait to see the new musical number.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

https://twitter.com/...570021018046465

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Phenomenal trailer. I wasn’t feeling the hype from the teaser. I am now.

#40 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

And Fandango crashed.  I need my tickets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=