#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

Durkin has just announced that Perry Hills is day-to-day with his shoulder injury, but is expected to start against Minnesota. Good news for the Terps for sure.

BSL: Terps Game Preview - Minnesota

BSL: Talking Terps: Penn State Thumps Maryland, Minnesota Up Next

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Durkin has just announced that Perry Hills is day-to-day with his shoulder injury, but is expected to start against Minnesota. Good news for the Terps for sure.

Meh.

I want Hills to be available, and the Terps to have healthy choices... but I don't really want to see Hills starting going forward.

Totally agree with the point you made in the PSU thread that when Pigrome came in,  PSU crowded the box and dared Pigrome to beat them. Everything was checkdowns underneath.

If that is all he can do, obviously that is an issue.  But I think he a more live arm than Hills...

Hills is experienced, a tough kid, good legs, and has leadership abilities and work ethic...  what I don't like about him are:

1) He doesn't have the arm strength (or accuracy) to drive the ball into tight windows 15 yards down the field. Anything past that, is a real shot put.

2) I just hate giving time to the departing Senior.  Pigrome might not hold off Hill or Henderson next Fall.... but the more experience he gains now, the better positioned MD will be at that time.

Minnesota is a huge game.  At home, you need to win this game and get to 5-1.  An 8 win regular season... definitely a 7 win regular season still possible.

In that sense, I see the logic in going with Hills if the coaching staff does believe there is a significant difference. If that is how they feel, I'd still be looking to get Pigrome some time each week.

10/15 Minnesota
10/22 Michigan State....  Spartans really struggling right now... beat Minnesota, and you will feel like you can compete vs. MSU at home.

10/29 @Indiana   Another game where MD should have a legitimate chance.

11/5 @Michigan.  Ouch.

11/12 OSU...  Buckeyes will be looking to look better than the Wolverines did the week before.

11/19 @Nebraska... 5-0, look like the best in the West.

11/26 Rutgers...  A game you have to win.

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Meh.

I want Hills to be available, and the Terps to have healthy choices... but I don't really want to see Hills starting going forward.

Totally agree with the point you made in the PSU thread that when Pigrome came in,  PSU crowded the box and dared Pigrome to beat them. Everything was checkdowns underneath.

If that is all he can do, obviously that is an issue.  But I think he a more live arm than Hills...

Hills is experienced, a tough kid, good legs, and has leadership abilities and work ethic...  what I don't like about him are:

1) He doesn't have the arm strength (or accuracy) to drive the ball into tight windows 15 yards down the field. Anything past that, is a real shot put.

2) I just hate giving time to the departing Senior.  Pigrome might not hold off Hill or Henderson next Fall.... but the more experience he gains now, the better positioned MD will be at that time.

Minnesota is a huge game.  At home, you need to win this game and get to 5-1.  An 8 win regular season... definitely a 7 win regular season still possible.

In that sense, I see the logic in going with Hills if the coaching staff does believe there is a significant difference. If that is how they feel, I'd still be looking to get Pigrome some time each week.

10/15 Minnesota
10/22 Michigan State....  Spartans really struggling right now... beat Minnesota, and you will feel like you can compete vs. MSU at home.

11/5 @Michigan.  Ouch.

11/12 OSU...  Buckeyes will be looking to look better than the Wolverines did the week before.

And that's exactly why I don't want Piggy starting, or getting any sort of extended playing time. He's a tremendous athlete, but defenses have even less respect for his arm than they do for Perry's. There's a reason why most of the play-calls for him were run plays and screen passes. He just doesn't have the ability to read the defensive coverage and make those mid-range throws. Perry isn't the best at it, but he certainly has that ability and the defense has to respect it.

Right now, Perry gives you the best chance to move the ball and score points. That's all you need to know to make a decision. Yes, Piggy may have more upside, but he can't read defenses, isn't accurate with his throws, and is susceptible to freshman mistakes. In a year or two, maybe he has those issues ironed out. I still think he ends up at a different position, and certainly don't see him starting next year. That job will go to Henderson, Hill, or Shaffer.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

Minnesota runs a lot of read-option.  Our defensive coaches have never heard of that particular play before, apparently, or at least acted like it on Saturday.  Better come up with a solution or this is gonna be another beatdown.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

And that's exactly why I don't want Piggy starting, or getting any sort of extended playing time. He's a tremendous athlete, but defenses have even less respect for his arm than they do for Perry's. There's a reason why most of the play-calls for him were run plays and screen passes. He just doesn't have the ability to read the defensive coverage and make those mid-range throws. Perry isn't the best at it, but he certainly has that ability and the defense has to respect it.

Right now, Perry gives you the best chance to move the ball and score points. That's all you need to know to make a decision. Yes, Piggy may have more upside, but he can't read defenses, isn't accurate with his throws, and is susceptible to freshman mistakes. In a year or two, maybe he has those issues ironed out. I still think he ends up at a different position, and certainly don't see him starting next year. That job will go to Henderson, Hill, or Shaffer.

Hills has reached 200 yards passing once in five weeks...  he's got plenty of skill position talent around him.

Even with the focus being on the rushing attack, there should be more production in the passing game.  It's frustrating.

Getting past the QBs...  I like that lots of guys on the O-line have got time and experience this year. There is talent there, more is coming in, and it should be competitive going forward.  With all of the guys getting time, it's also going to be easier to deal with if you sustain an injury, etc.

That said, it's time for this group to up their game.  Prince had a real tough day Saturday for one.

On the defensive side...   I'm glad some new high end talent is joining the DL next year...  but there was enough decent depth existing this year... (lots of 3 stars, with some experience) that I was hoping this group could be an average ish Big Ten unit.

Not really seeing it.  Particularly inside. Sure wish McLean was ready to force his way into playing time.

Outside big Aniiebonam fan...  he's doing enough that I'm beginning to think he might want to jump to the league. Sure hope he comes back.
Need more from Keihn.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Hills has reached 200 yards passing once in five weeks...  he's got plenty of skill position talent around him.

Even with the focus being on the rushing attack, there should be more production in the passing game.  It's frustrating.

Getting past the QBs...  I like that lots of guys on the O-line have got time and experience this year. There is talent there, more is coming in, and it should be competitive going forward.  With all of the guys getting time, it's also going to be easier to deal with if you sustain an injury, etc.

That said, it's time for this group to up their game.  Prince had a real tough day Saturday for one.

On the defensive side...   I'm glad some new high end talent is joining the DL next year...  but there was enough decent depth existing this year... (lots of 3 stars, with some experience) that I was hoping this group could be an average ish Big Ten unit.

Not really seeing it.  Particularly inside. Sure wish McLean was ready to force his way into playing time.

Outside big Aniiebonam fan...  he's doing enough that I'm beginning to think he might want to jump to the league. Sure hope he comes back.
Need more from Keihn.

Agreed that the lack of a passing game is frustrating. Unfortunately, there's no one on the roster right now that would make it any better at QB. And you don't need to be making changes for change's sake. They're 4-1 with Perry, and he's managed games well so far. You've seen flashes from Perry this year. That fade pass to the corner of the end zone to Teldrick last week, for one. He's better, but it's been tough for him with the offensive line's poor pass protection. Tough to drop back and make those mid-range/deep throws if you don't have a pocket to throw from.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

Agreed that the lack of a passing game is frustrating. Unfortunately, there's no one on the roster right now that would make it any better at QB. And you don't need to be making changes for change's sake. They're 4-1 with Perry, and he's managed games well so far. You've seen flashes from Perry this year. That fade pass to the corner of the end zone to Teldrick last week, for one. He's better, but it's been tough for him with the offensive line's poor pass protection. Tough to drop back and make those mid-range/deep throws if you don't have a pocket to throw from.

To me it's the same issue which you have with Pigrome. Opponents don't believe Hills can beat them outside... the box is crowded...  all Hills is basically capable of doing is read option, and making quick decisions under 10 yards.

To his credit, he has mostly corrected his issues with ball control that he had last year...  but if the Terps haven't gained positive yardage on 1st, and 2nd... I don't have confidence in Hills ability to fire the ball into tonight spots on 3rd.

I don't see it as changes for change's sake. 

To me it's playing the guy that will be here next year, vs. giving time to guy that won't... 

The only thing Hills is doing currently that I question if Pigrome could match is the ball control.  Would Pigrome be prone to looking for bigger plays, and turn it over more often? That's possible imo.

But I think Pigrome could hit more homers himself, and maybe just as importantly... I think he could hit all the short passes / drop offs that Hills is.

But agree to disagree.

To the last point about the pass blocking...   there is 5 games of tape now.  Lots of guys have got time, but maybe it's time to give extended time to those who are playing the best.

Or make adjustments with the offense.

When I start thinking of how the Terps could possibly compete in the division over the next couple of years, I pretty much start with the O-line. This group has to become exceptional.  Enough of the core is here now... and while young, they need to be at-least decent / good, even if they aren't yet ready to reach their ceiling.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

10/15 Minnesota

11/5 @Michigan.  Ouch.

Don't write Michigan as "ouch". Every week some top team gets pushed to the brink by someone they shouldn't. Durkin knows Michigan better than Harbaugh knows Maryland.

Although, I'm sure Jim will use that video of Edsall throwing his headset up in cheer like a 5 year old opening a Nintendo on Christmas morning as bulletin board material. He might go for 100 points against MD.

@BSLMikeRandall

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

Don't write Michigan as "ouch". Every week some top team gets pushed to the brink by someone they shouldn't. Durkin knows Michigan better than Harbaugh knows Maryland.

Although, I'm sure Jim will use that video of Edsall throwing his headset up in cheer like a 5 year old opening a Nintendo on Christmas morning as bulletin board material. He might go for 100 points against MD.

MD won there just 2 years ago, but It's a top 5 team on the road...    being competitive would surprise, but certainly do agree with your point that there are surprises each week.

That's why you play the games.  Maybe you have a return for a TD (or don't allow one), don't take points off the board when you have a FG opportunity, maybe when your LB gets a pick in the RZ, he finds the endzone vs. fumbling it back to the opposition...  lol... 

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

MD won there just 2 years ago, but It's a top 5 team on the road...    being competitive would surprise, but certainly do agree with your point that there are surprises each week.

That's why you play the games.  Maybe you have a return for a TD (or don't allow one), don't take points off the board when you have a FG opportunity, maybe when your LB gets a pick in the RZ, he finds the endzone vs. fumbling it back to the opposition...  lol... 

I get it's a long shot. MD hung in that with Ohio State for 3 quarters last year. Don't want to detail though.

Had a question for the analysts. Could Hills and Piggy share QB duties? Not terribly uncommon. Leak and Tebow did at Florida for a while. Probably some other teams I can't think of right now. But get the best of both worlds. Groom Piggy for next year, let the experienced Hills continue to work.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

I get it's a long shot. MD hung in that with Ohio State for 3 quarters last year. Don't want to detail though.

Had a question for the analysts. Could Hills and Piggy share QB duties? Not terribly uncommon. Leak and Tebow did at Florida for a while. Probably some other teams I can't think of right now. But get the best of both worlds. Groom Piggy for next year, let the experienced Hills continue to work.

Understand the reasons why you wouldn't turn fully to Pigrome now...  also get why you might not want a 50/50 split... but you could definitely bring him in for multiple series a game.  Seems like a lot of schools do that.

• Mike in STL likes this

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

Understand the reasons why you wouldn't turn fully to Pigrome now...  also get why you might not want a 50/50 split... but you could definitely bring him in for multiple series a game.  Seems like a lot of schools do that.

Doubt it. This coaching staff has been pretty adamant about using just one QB. You rarely see that type of system work. Northwestern had it working for a while (Colter and Siemian), but it's damn near impossible to get it to work. Sounds good in theory, doesn't really work in practice. Gets both guys out of a rhythm.

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Doubt it. This coaching staff has been pretty adamant about using just one QB. You rarely see that type of system work. Northwestern had it working for a while (Colter and Siemian), but it's damn near impossible to get it to work. Sounds good in theory, doesn't really work in practice. Gets both guys out of a rhythm.

You rarely see 50/50 splits work.  Don't know if it's accurate that it doesn't work when it's less of a split, and more specific series / packages.

Beyond that, with MD specifically....  and I don't mean this flippantly... but legitimately what rhythm is there to get Hills out of? The two most productive things he has done in Weeks 1-5 is A) Hand the ball off, and B) Avoid turnovers.

Now, it is true that even that... just handing the ball off can be impacted by a change at QB. Different cadence, etc.  Maybe more offensive penalties?

But Hills avoiding mistakes is not enough for me to be scared about his rhythm being disrupted.

DJ Moore has 17 catches (239 yards, 2 TDs).
Teldrick Morgan has 15 catches (178 yards, 2 TDs).

DeAndre Lane has 8...   Ty Johnson has 7...
Levern Jacobs has 3.. 

Culmer 2... Davenport 1...
Tino Ellis 0. Taivon Jacobs 0.

The TE's...  have 2 combined... both Hayward.  Edwards 0. Isaacs 0.

Too many weapons that aren't getting utilized at all.

I don't know if if that would change at all with Pigrome... but if they aren't being utilized by the Senior, than I'd rather give the playing time to the Freshman... even if there is no change.

If you want the experience starting.... I'd be tempted to give another look at Rowe.  At-least he has arm strength. 

Clearly Durkin / Bell have decided they prefer Hills leadership, his legs, and his ball control over Rowe...  and that's fine...  I respect that, but they need to find a way to get more players involved.

The talent exists.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Really want to go to this game, but I am heading up north to NY with Michael Keltics for the Ravens/Giants game.

I'll be at Sparty next weekend though!

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

Really want to go to this game, but I am heading up north to NY with Michael Keltics for the Ravens/Giants game.

I'll be at Sparty next weekend though!

I'll be at both, but damn I'm looking forward to the MSU game. One of those 8+ hour tailgate games. Gonna be a crazy fun one.

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

I'll be at both, but damn I'm looking forward to the MSU game. One of those 8+ hour tailgate games. Gonna be a crazy fun one.

Yea I can't do the 8 hour booze fests any more. As my body reminded me yesterday.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#17 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Christ it's criminal that our last productive QB was Scott McBrien! Think how good this offense could be with him at the helm!
  • BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

Count me in the Pigrome camp. Hills is a little better passer, but that's pretty much meaningless when the OL is so terrible at protecting the QB against competent pass-rushing teams like UCF and PSU were. Hills was under pressure nearly every time he dropped back in those two games, and he is not the kind of QB who can escape the rush and extend a play.

Unless Minnesota's defense is Purdue-like, then they are pretty much going to have to stick almost exclusively to the ground attack. Pigrome just gives you a better shot there, although I recall him making at least two poor reads on read-options Saturday, so he needs improvement. Pigrome can also elude the pass rush better, he showed that on at least one play I can recall, a play Hills could only have made playing Madden. Pigrome's arm strength is not the issue. His mechanics/accuracy and decision-making need plenty of work. But at this point I'd rather put the focus on a QB that is going to be on the roster beyond this season.

This is not a make-or-break season for DJ Durkin or the program. They are only laying a foundation. A bowl game would be nice, but in the big picture it isn't going to be more than icing on the cake. That belief is one of the reasons I love that Durkin's given so many freshmen playing experience. 

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

QB situation in pretty decent shape beginning next year... still a shame Haskins didn't work out, as I have to believe he'd be getting time now. As is, looks like he will be competing for time at OSU... wonder if he stays there?

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Minnesota's starting QB (Mitch Leidner) will not be playing this week due to an injury he suffered against Iowa. Big news there.

Edit: Durkin has also suspended LB Isaiah Davis for one game after his hit on Penn State K Joey Julius.

Edit 2: RB Trey Edmunds has broken a bone in his foot and will miss a few weeks due to the necessary surgery.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=