28 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

Baltimore Sun:  Hogan announces plan to study building third Bay Bridge span

Chris, if too political, feel free to delete.

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

Is this just a third span at Sandy Point, or are they still going to discuss other options? I couldn't tell from the article.

Also, talk about burying the lede...

http://www.baltimore...0830-story.html
@DJ_McCann

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:20 AM

I don't get this they've already done several studies on this, so why do we need another study?  An interesting topic for sure but what new information do they need that isn't already out there.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Is this just a third span at Sandy Point, or are they still going to discuss other options? I couldn't tell from the article. Also, talk about burying the lede... http://www.baltimore...0830-story.html

From the article I linked to, it looks like they'll be studying several options, one of which includes a third span by sandy point but also a bridge at other locations.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

I don't get this they've already done several studies on this, so why do we need another study?  An interesting topic for sure but what new information do they need that isn't already out there.

It sounds like this is actually an official first step, looking towards applying for federal money for the project.

@DJ_McCann

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

This needs to happen. Bridge traffic is terrible, especially heading west without a toll. 

However, I don't want to see the eastern shore become a suburb of Baltimore and DC. It should remain rural, and I think a new bridge should work to make sure that doesn't happen.

• Chris B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Regardless of what they do as far as a third span, I think they should get rid of all toll booths and just have the overhead scanners. If you don't have an EZ Pass, then you get a bill in the mail. That would help considerably when going East. 

#8 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

It would definitely 100% be a time-saver but I think the issue there is people just ignoring the bill. And then you have to worry about collections.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Toll booths need to die.  Such an outdated technology.  As stupid as everyone in NJ needing to have an attendant pump gas.

Get the high-speed scanners that read the license plate and have it automatically come out of an account set up by each registered car owner (or send a bill to anyone who refuses to do that).  When Florida has figured something out, every other state needs to get on the ball.

Not much irks me more than when I can't even get to the EZ-Pass lane because there are rows and rows of morons without a pass waiting to pay the damn toll to the toll-taker.

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

It would definitely 100% be a time-saver but I think the issue there is people just ignoring the bill. And then you have to worry about collections.

Collections for the minority of people who don't pay the bill is still probably cheaper than paying people government wages to collect the toll, and maintaining the toll plaza.

• Chris B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

^ Good point.

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

I agree, get rid of the toll plaza and do it by EZ pass or plate camera.

But going west over the bridge is the worst of it. Sundays after 1 is unbearable. And there is no toll. Just too many cars on the road at once to get from the 50/301 split across the damn bridge. If anything, the third span should just be for WB traffic on Sundays. I usually stay Sunday night and leave at 5:30 for work the next morning.

It also doesn't help that I've noticed people slow down on bridges naturally, whether it's because they're scared or just want to look at boats, I don't know. But bridges, especially bigger ones, are a traffic flow killer.

#13 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

Geographically it makes sense to put one down by the navy (coast guard?) Base to connect to the southern part of the eastern shore but there's probably not enough people living down there to warrant it. Also aren't there's bunches and bunches of studies proving that more lanes don't alleviate traffic? Getting rid of the toll booths would help way more than adding another lane Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

I also don't understand why at least 80 to 90% of people don't have Ez pass. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SportsGuy likes this

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Geographically it makes sense to put one down by the navy (coast guard?) Base to connect to the southern part of the eastern shore but there's probably not enough people living down there to warrant it.

Right... it's about people, not geography...

Also aren't there's bunches and bunches of studies proving that more lanes don't alleviate traffic? Getting rid of the toll booths would help way more than adding another lane Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's a history at the Bay Bridge of adding bridge lanes just moving the traffic jam slightly... at first, the jam was at the bridge itself... then, when they opened the 2nd bridge, it just moved the traffic jam to entering the road just after the 2 bridges...  people still parked their cars, got out, played frisbee and had cookouts while they waited...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

I don't get this they've already done several studies on this, so why do we need another study? An interesting topic for sure but what new information do they need that isn't already out there.

I want to be one of those companies that gets paid to do these "studies":

Dear Suckers....Errrrr....State of Maryland,

Traffic crossing the Chesapeake Bay sucks. Building another bridge to add more lanes for vehicles will help. Kindly wire my $5 million to the following account in the Cayman Islands - XXXXXXXXX.

See ya!

#17 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

Geographically it makes sense to put one down by the navy (coast guard?) Base to connect to the southern part of the eastern shore but there's probably not enough people living down there to warrant it. Also aren't there's bunches and bunches of studies proving that more lanes don't alleviate traffic? Getting rid of the toll booths would help way more than adding another lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Navy base are you talking about?

#18 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Geographically it makes sense to put one down by the navy (coast guard?) Base to connect to the southern part of the eastern shore but there's probably not enough people living down there to warrant it. Also aren't there's bunches and bunches of studies proving that more lanes don't alleviate traffic? Getting rid of the toll booths would help way more than adding another lane Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Navy base are you talking about?
The Navy Air Station Patuxent River place. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

The Navy Air Station Patuxent River place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I thought. I don't know what kind of population is necessary but I can tell you the population down here is probably bigger than you think it is. Having said that, the last thing we need down here is something that will add even more traffic. There's too much traffic down here as it is.

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

If you're gonna put a new bridge someplace else, the rationale for that would be that it would help getting folks off the Eastern Shore re: hurricanes, not getting more people to the Eastern Shore from elsewhere...  the different place would be chosen because it helps rapid evacuation...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=