#541 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:02 PM

At long last, I am finally onto the final novel in The Wheel of Time.  I waited 7 books for what happened at the end of book 13, and it was so satisfying.

Half thr light of the world!

#542 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 January 2023 - 03:53 PM

Brandon Sanderson is doing  a live stream tonight to discuss the upcoming tenth anniversary of A Memory of LIght the final book from the Wheel of Time series.  I don't think I will be tuning in tonight but I will most likely give it a listen sometime next week.

#543 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:38 AM

Bob or Mack have you guys read "Tess of the Emerald Sea" yet?   I have the pdf version already, but I'm debating on waiting for my hardcopy to arrive (which looks awesome if you haven't seen a picture by the way).   FWIW it's his highest rated non SA book and possibly #2 or 3 overall so I am eager to read it.

I actually still am in the process of finishing up Elantris (I had never read that one and after "The Lost Metal" I decided to amend that).  This was actually the hardest book for me to get into.  It wasn't until almost the end of part one that I finally started to get into it more.  Won't be long for me to finish now as I feel like the Sanderlanche has started

• BobPhelan likes this

#544 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:01 AM

I have the audiobook ready to listen to, hopefully ASAP. I’ve heard great things. I did get the first loot box from the kickstarter and got a sweet Hoid shirt and a cool Hoid pin plus Hoid notepads and stickers haha.
  • DuffMan likes this

#545 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 February 2023 - 03:21 PM

Wow, that was surprising and delightful (Tress). Great fairy tale that is more relevant than I expected (not a spoiler), has a cool different narration style for his books, and has yet another super cool magic system.

• DuffMan likes this

#546 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:20 AM

Wow, that was surprising and delightful (Tress). Great fairy tale that is more relevant than I expected (not a spoiler), has a cool different narration style for his books, and has yet another super cool magic system.

Awesome!  I finally pushed through and finished Elantris just in time as my hardcopy of Tess should be arriving by Monday

• BobPhelan likes this

#547 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 February 2023 - 07:04 AM

Started this a day or two ago.  About 40% through.  So much fun already.  Hoping to finish it this weekend!

• BobPhelan likes this

#548 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 11 February 2023 - 12:26 PM

Chapter 37: The Last Battle.

#549 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 February 2023 - 01:09 PM

Chapter 37: The Last Battle.

100 pages of fun, enjoy!

#550 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 11 February 2023 - 02:07 PM

I enjoyed it. Thought Hoid's humor was a bit hamfisted, but really liked the story and especially the underlying idea of the spore oceans. Also cool to see some advanced tech (tablets, laptops, rockets) incorporated into a cosmere story, even though the characters didn't know it was advanced tech.
  • BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#551 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 February 2023 - 03:10 PM

I enjoyed it. Thought Hoid's humor was a bit hamfisted, but really liked the story and especially the underlying idea of the spore oceans. Also cool to see some advanced tech (tablets, laptops, rockets) incorporated into a cosmere story, even though the characters didn't know it was advanced tech.

I wouldn't want Hoid narrating every book but was a pleasant surprise. The two villainous characters towards the end have some broader Cosmere significance so those got me thinking too.

• DuffMan likes this

#552 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 11 February 2023 - 11:05 PM

100 pages of fun, enjoy!

I was like "oh, I only have 9 hours of book left," but that was how long was left in the chapter.

• DuffMan likes this

#553 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:11 AM

Finished Tress.  Really liked it alot, a top 5 (maybe top 3) Sanderson book for me!  Looking forward to the next 3

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#554 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:07 AM

Switched off of fantasy for a quick change while waiting for a title from the library, reading We Own This City after having watched the miniseries.  

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#555 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:22 PM

I’m almost finished the second ‘Three Body Problem’ book. I don’t particularly care about any of the characters but it’s very interesting sci-fi.

#556 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 06:30 PM

Death is lighter than a feather.  Duty, heavier than a mountain.

#557 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 08:09 PM

I did not reach the ending, for there is no ending to the Wheel of Time.  But I did reach an ending.

• DuffMan likes this

#558 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:03 PM

I did not reach the ending, for there is no ending to the Wheel of Time.  But I did reach an ending.

Did you read the prequel New Spring. It's about Moraine meeting and bonding with Lan

#559 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 11:53 AM

No.  I suppose I have a little more new content left then.

#560 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 May 2023 - 06:24 AM

Read my first Stephen King this week, The Shining. A lot different than the movie but still very good. Time to finally dive in to his deep pool of classics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=