#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

At the moment I'm working on The Way Home by George Pelecanos. Next on tap, I'll be finishing up the dragon tattoo series.

Just finished the Millenium Series last Saturday - I thought it was fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised that each book in the series got progressively better, IMHO. The conclusion was a really nice payoff. I spent the last few days watching the Swedish films, but they weren't very rewarding. The 1st American movie with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara was very well done, i'm looking forward to the other films.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Is anyone on Good Reads? Its a social-media web-site for book lovers. You track all the books you've read, rate them and write notes on them if you'd like. You connect with friends and it's a good way to get book recommendations. Let me know if you'd like to connect.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Currently reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. Just an absolutely hilarious novel. Highly recommended.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Currently reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. Just an absolutely hilarious novel. Highly recommended.

I own that book and have tried to read it a few times and just can't seem to do it. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into it. I usually get to about halfway before losing interest. One of these times I'm just gonna power through it and maybe it'll grow on me.

As far as humor novels, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Lamb by Christopher Moore are my two favorites.

I wish I read more often.

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I just finished reading Ernest Cline's first book, Ready Player One.

This book was simply phenomenal. Chock full of 80's pop culture references, which I'm sure everyone would eat up.

http://www.amazon.co... ... player one

I should mention that the rights to this book have already been secured by a studio, and there are plans of making this into a film sometime soon.

I loved that book so, so much.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I loved that book so, so much.

Yeah, once I started read it, I couldn't put it down. What do you think about a potential movie? While I want it to happen, and it could be bad ass... I want it to be done well, and I could see it being very, very expensive.

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I own that book and have tried to read it a few times and just can't seem to do it. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into it. I usually get to about halfway before losing interest. One of these times I'm just gonna power through it and maybe it'll grow on me.

As far as humor novels, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Lamb by Christopher Moore are my two favorites.

I wish I read more often.

I suppose the style of humor isn't for everyone but there have been 2-3 occasions already (I'm about 40% of the way through) where I've literally laughed out loud. The revolt at the pants factory was just priceless.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, once I started read it, I couldn't put it down. What do you think about a potential movie? While I want it to happen, and it could be bad ass... I want it to be done well, and I could see it being very, very expensive.

Ninety percent of the plot takes place in a virtual world, so I can't decide if that makes it more or less expensive than if more of it was in the dystopian "real" world. If done well, it is such a visual book that a movie could be amazing.

That book and The Art of Fielding are the two best pieces of fiction I've read over the past couple years. They're also among the only pieces of fiction I've read over the past couple years, but that's not the point...

#29 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

To anyone who was a fan of Tom Clancy and his Jack Ryan series (I was but haven't read anything since Rainbow Six), take a look at Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp character. It's very good stuff.

#30 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but about a year ago when we found out we were having a baby, my lady allowed me to pursue my dream and go back to school. I'm presently finishing up my sophomore year and working on my degree in Mathematics. Anyway, if you ever need a reminder of the beauty of math pick up The Joy of X by Steven Strogatz. One of the best books I've ever read and I'm only a quarter of the way through.

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm reading Bloody Confused!: A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer by Chuck Culpepper.

I started reading it a couple of years ago, but got distracted by a couple other things and never finished. I noticed that I was enjoying his articles at Sports on Earth, remembered he wrote that book, and decided to re-read and finish.

#32 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Finally working my way through the 'Game of Thrones' series. Took me long enough :lol:

Really in the mood for a good history book, though

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Finally working my way through the 'Game of Thrones' series. Took me long enough :lol:

Really in the mood for a good history book, though

Like what?

#34 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Like what?

Well, I'm a British History major..and I've worked on some stuff on the Union of the Crowns. Will probably go something in that direction - early 1600s.

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well, I'm a British History major..and I've worked on some stuff on the Union of the Crowns. Will probably go something in that direction - early 1600s.

I read a book on the Tudors not too long ago. The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty, by G.J. Meyer. It was pretty interesting.

#36 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I picked up The Mongoliad recently, but haven't cracked it yet. Huge Neal Stephenson and Greg Bear fan, though, so I'm sure I'll love it. Here's Neal Stephenson making fun of how ridiculous book trailers are (I'm looking at you, James Patterson, and you, Dean Koontz).

bC3vqfjfY_A

#37 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Read The Rackateer by John Grisham. He is just phoning it in here. I thought it was terrible.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Read The Rackateer by John Grisham. He is just phoning it in here. I thought it was terrible.

Nc7ZaZz4CoU

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I just started a new book: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind The Craft Of Everyday Cooking by Michael Ruhlman. It goes through basic ratios for cooking and baking (for example: 5 parts flour to 3 parts water, along with some salt and yeast, for basic bread dough) and explains where they come from and how they lead to the myriad variations seen in recipes.

I also recently read Red Inferno: 1945 by Robert Conroy. It is a story of alternate history at the end of the Second World War, using as a starting point the decision of the Allies to cross the Elbe River and drive toward Berlin instead of the real-life choice to stay put. The overall story goes about how you would expect, but it is well-written with interesting characters. I've enjoyed all of his books that I've read.

#40 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

With the movie Reacher coming out soon starring everybody's beacon of sanity Tom Cruise, I decided to check out Lee Child's series. It's quite good and Child is a quality writer. He's succinct, to the point, yet is still able to paint a picture. If there's one thing I hate about a lot of authors, it's the tendency to overdescribe and use non-essential words. It's my world that you're describing. Let me go there and my imagination will fill in the blanks.

It's interesting to see Reacher transform from just a drifter who is being caught up in misadventures to being an investigator who can control his emotions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=