And we're off!
@DJ_McCann

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

NBC Sports Network currently showing downhill.... NBC showing figuring skating.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

SI: 2018 Olympic Medal Picks

SI: U.S. Women's Hockey Team Brings New Style, Fresh Faces to PyeongChang

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

Washington Post: Olympics Day 3: US follows its first gold medal with a surprise silver

Deadline: Olympics Day 1 Viewership Down Double Digits From 2014 With .

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

So there is a brother/sister tandem in pairs figure skating. Is it just me, or is pairs figure skating a little too....sexual...for brother and sister? Sexual might not be the right word. But you get the point. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

So there is a brother/sister tandem in pairs figure skating. Is it just me, or is pairs figure skating a little too....sexual...for brother and sister? Sexual might not be the right word. But you get the point. 

37ad5d1c-72c9-5cac-9830-02c926845a2d.ima

• Mackus and DJ MC like this

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

The Verge: Robots compete in their own Olympics ski tournament, capture our hearts
https://www.theverge...-ski-tournament

• Mike in STL likes this

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

The Ringer: A Comprehensive Ranking of Winter Olympics Sports

The Ringer: Shaun White Is Still More Snowboarder Than Celebrity

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

Shaun White. Damn.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Womens Hockey, USA and Canada just played a hell of a game. Very exciting. Canada with a 2-1 win, but US shot the puck 45 times. Canada scored the eventual game winner when a clear offsides went uncalled. US had numerous shots clang of the post. Came down to the last second, literally. US was on the attack for the better part of the last 3 minutes, Canada couldn't get a clear. US could have won that game. 

Hopefully we get a rematch in the gold medal game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Womens Hockey, USA and Canada just played a hell of a game. Very exciting. Canada with a 2-1 win, but US shot the puck 45 times. Canada scored the eventual game winner when a clear offsides went uncalled. US had numerous shots clang of the post. Came down to the last second, literally. US was on the attack for the better part of the last 3 minutes, Canada couldn't get a clear. US could have won that game. 

Hopefully we get a rematch in the gold medal game. 

I don't follow hockey... and, except for the rules, I don't know much about it...  but for whatever reasons, I like women's hockey way better than men's hockey... I can more readily see how it's a team game...  much better puck control, way fewer mindless turnovers by just flinging it down to the other end...

For those of you who know more, is this due to my ignorance, or do they play the game differently?

ps:  If the women's Olympic teams from USA and Canada went on tour, I'd pay money to see them play each other...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I don't follow hockey... and, except for the rules, I don't know much about it...  but for whatever reasons, I like women's hockey way better than men's hockey... I can more readily see how it's a team game...  much better puck control, way fewer mindless turnovers by just flinging it down to the other end...

For those of you who know more, is this due to my ignorance, or do they play the game differently?

ps:  If the women's Olympic teams from USA and Canada went on tour, I'd pay money to see them play each other...

Well, US and Canada are by far the best womens teams so it's a much crisper game. I watched some of Korea and Sweden the other day and in the period I watched, Korea maybe only got 1 shot, maybe 2. Turnovers and missed passes a plenty. 

Problems with the mens games are the rosters were hastily thrown together after NHL said they were not going to be a part of it. So not only do you not have a pool of hundreds of the best players in the world to choose from, you have amateurs and aging journeymen with no chemistry together. Womens teams have played together for a long time. 

Also, don't confuse "flinging it down to the other end" with dump and chase. A common tactic used to gain entry into the offensive zone without going offsides. Also commonly used when making a line change without allowing an odd-man rush the other way. 

• RShack likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Set your alarms. Mens Hockey. USA vs. Russia. Saturday morning, 7am. Last game of group play before elimination rounds.

USA gets a bye to the quarterfinals with a win.

USA: L vs. Slovenia, 3-2 (OT). W vs. Slovakia 2-1

Russia: L vs. Slovakia 3-2. W vs. Slovenia 8-2

@BSLMikeRandall

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

Sloppy game by the US this morning losing 4-0. Russia showed why they are the heavy favorite. On 3 power plays, US managed just 2 shots. Russian defense was just stifling as the US couldn't stop turning the puck over, and the shots they got off were not good looks at all. Russia's passing game was on point and opened the door for some wide open shooting lanes. They took advantage.

USA doesn't get the bye. Some things still left to sort out before eliminations games start. If the teams win that should win, looks like USA could get a game against a bad Norway team and then earn a quarterfinal game against Canada to get to a medal game. Time will tell though. Could shake up where if the Swiss upset the Czechs, then USA could have to face Russia again in the quarters to get to a medal game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

The Ringer: Winners and Losers From Week 1 of the 2018 Winter Olympics

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

Womens Hockey: USA plays Finland in the semis tonight (Sun) at 10:10pm. They beat Finland 3-1 in group play. Bronze medal game between the two semis losers (Canada vs. Russia in the other semi) will be at 2:40am Wednesday, and the gold medal game at 11:10pm Wednesday.

Mens Hockey: USA plays Slovakia Monday at 10:10pm whom they beat 2-1 in group play. Winner advances to face Czech Republic in the quarterfinals Tuesday at 10:10pm. USA needs to step up their game, but not having to face Canada or Russia until the semis for a medal chance is a favorable draw. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

SI: By the Slimmest of Margins, the U.S. Knocks Off Canada in Curling Thriller

SI: USA Women's Hockey Team Is Now the Great American Olympic Hope

SI: With Lackluster Medal Count, Americans Hoping for Late Surge to the Podium

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

USA tied with Czech Rep. 2-2 as the 3rd period is underway in the quarterfinals (On CNBC). 

USA was good for 10 minutes, god awful for 20, then great for 10 in the first 40. We'll see how the 3rd shakes out. Would be a huge win. Russia likely waiting in the semis as they face Norway who is not very good. 

On the Women's side, Gold medal game tomorrow night at 11:10pm USA vs. Canada for the 3rd straight time.

@BSLMikeRandall

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

USA tied with Czech Rep. 2-2 as the 3rd period is underway in the quarterfinals (On CNBC).

USA was good for 10 minutes, god awful for 20, then great for 10 in the first 40. We'll see how the 3rd shakes out. Would be a huge win. Russia likely waiting in the semis as they face Norway who is not very good.

On the Women's side, Gold medal game tomorrow night at 11:10pm USA vs. Canada for the 3rd straight time.

Watching but not nearly as into this without NHL players.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

USA on the power play with 1:20 left. Still 2-2. Both teams had their best scoring chance in the last 2 minutes and were denied. Gonna be an exciting finish.

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=