• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

Under contract next year, and possibly for '18... 2017: $8.75 million 2018: $12 million club option ($500,000 buyout).

11/13/86

LHP

2012: 16-11, 3.33 era, 194.2 ip, 193 hits, 37 bb's, 144 k's, 14 hr's, .685 OPS against

2013: 10-10, 3.55 era, 202.2 ip, 201 hits, 66 bb's, 147 k's, 21 hr's, .727 OPS against

2014: 8-12, 4.34 era, 201.1 ip, 207 hits, 75 bb's, 183 k's, 23 hr's, .746 OPS against
2015: 11-11, 4.46 era, 193.2 ip, 201 hits, 64 bb's, 147 k's, 17 hr's, .740 OPS against

2016: 7-9, 4.98 era, 112 ip, 117 hits, 34 bb's, 82 k's, 18 hr's, .786 OPS against

2016 continued: 

vs. LHB: .686 OPS, 92 ab's

vs. RHB: .814 OPS, 335 ab's

GB%: 46.6%  (48.4% career)
xFIP: 4.35  (3.87 career)
K%: 17.5%  (18.2% career)
BB: 7.3% (7.4% career)
Swinging Strike %: 8.9% (8.6% career)

Avg FB Velocity: 90.4  (91 career)

Camden Depot: If Miley Is Going To Be Successful, He'll Need To Throw More Balls
http://camdendepot.b...ssful-hell.html

FanGraphs: Orioles Acquire Unexciting, Generic Innings Sponge

FanGraphs: Wade Miley, Who Is Better Than You Think  (Dec 2014)

USS Mariner: Carson Smith and Roenis Elias Swapped for Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro  (Dec 2015)
http://www.ussmarine...d-jonathan-aro/

Lookout Landing: The value of Wade Miley (May 2016)
http://www.lookoutla...e-of-wade-miley

#2 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Let down by the defense in the first start and the offense in the second.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Since the trade:

Miley

17 IP

9.53 ERA

1.94 WHIP

Miranda

17.2 IP

4.58 ERA
1.30 WHIP

We could sure use Miranda right about now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hah.  Rains it pours I guess.

Still expect Miley to be a passable #5 starter the rest of the year and next.  But he's been abysmal the last two times out, Ubaldo-bad.  Thought he was fine his first two starts despite the lines not being so great.  Would suck if he can't right things and produce the mediocre results he usually does the rest of the way.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

Since the trade:

Miley

17 IP

9.53 ERA

1.94 WHIP

Miranda

17.2 IP

4.58 ERA
1.30 WHIP

We could sure use Miranda right about now.

The great Dan Duquette.  If we let him make about another 25 trades for pitching, he may make a good one.  Emphasis on May.

@mikeghg

#6 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

I'd sure like Zach Davies back.

@Miller192

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

And Brault. And Hader.

• Mike B likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

If Davies ends up being solid, then I think that's another big recent knock on the Orioles major league scouts (to go with Gonzo and Kim this year).  He always had good minor league numbers, but all the reports on him were that he wouldn't be able to get MLB hitters out (kind of like Tyler Wilson).

#9 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

If Davies ends up being solid, then I think that's another big recent knock on the Orioles major league scouts (to go with Gonzo and Kim this year).  He always had good minor league numbers, but all the reports on him were that he wouldn't be able to get MLB hitters out (kind of like Tyler Wilson).

How do our scouts take a hit in Kim? 

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

How do our scouts take a hit in Kim? 

Because they wanted to sell him back to Korea at the end of March.

#11 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

Because they wanted to sell him back to Korea at the end of March.

Yeah, I'd say that was driven almost solely by Buck. Reports I read is the scouts were not down on him. Particularly that they thought Os ML staff were overvaluing Rickard and undervaluing Kim. Quite frankly, I think Buck probably helped drive the Gonzalez decision as well based on what he said about him after his last ST start. That was kind of shocking actually. While we're at it, it's my opinion he was the main driver on Arrieta as well. Ultimately DD makes the final roster decisions but no doubt in my mind Buck is influential in driving a lot of stuff in this organization. Kim making Buck's early shit list almost certainly drove that whole fiasco. Kim is an easy win for our  scouts imo. 

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

And Brault. And Hader.

Arrieta, Strop etc.

To me it is not giving away talent with upside in a trade it is the underachievers that we constantly get back.

Feldman, Snider, Miley, De Aza, Saunders 

Tie that in with the wasted free agent $$$ and it is hard to see how DD gets as much credit as he does.

@mikeghg

#13 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

I definitely think our scouts messed up on evaluating Travis Snider. As far as trade deadlines deals go, they are what they are. and buyers don't typically make out on them in the long run. The only one I really didn't like at the time was the Parra deal. 

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, I'd say that was driven almost solely by Buck. Reports I read is the scouts were not down on him. Particularly that they thought Os ML staff were overvaluing Rickard and undervaluing Kim. Quite frankly, I think Buck probably helped drive the Gonzalez decision as well based on what he said about him after his last ST start. That was kind of shocking actually. While we're at it, it's my opinion he was the main driver on Arrieta as well. Ultimately DD makes the final roster decisions but no doubt in my mind Buck is influential in driving a lot of stuff in this organization. Kim making Buck's early shit list almost certainly drove that whole fiasco. Kim is an easy win for our  scouts imo. 

It's a group as a whole.  While I'm interested if its Buck or Dan or Rick Peterson some unknown scouts who is the one driving any particular decision, the final decision reached is ultimately what the machine gets graded on.  They would've dumped Kim if they could've, they weren't down enough on him to eat the money, but if they had an out like they did with Gonzo, they would've taken it.  Kudos to the international folks for finding and recommending Kim, but I'm completely comfortable with criticizing the guys deciding who comes North for wanting to dump him and get out of his deal.

#15 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

It's a group as a whole. While I'm interested if its Buck or Dan or Rick Peterson some unknown scouts who is the one driving any particular decision, the final decision reached is ultimately what the machine gets graded on. They would've dumped Kim if they could've, they weren't down enough on him to eat the money, but if they had an out like they did with Gonzo, they would've taken it. Kudos to the international folks for finding and recommending Kim, but I'm completely comfortable with criticizing the guys deciding who comes North for wanting to dump him and get out of his deal.

I tend to look at things a little closer and you did isolate our scouts initially. Granted I make some assumptions and my view is more subjective, but a lot of stuff is put out there for us and fairly easy to see. The Kim situation is one of them. I agree it comes down to organizational decisions overall, but the hit (in almost not keeping him I guess) doesn't fall on our scouts here. Just the opposite imo.

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Let's get one thing straight. Buck isn't perfect but he's much better at his job than DD is at his. He's better at DDs job than DD.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Let's get one thing straight. Buck isn't perfect but he's much better at his job than DD is at his. He's better at DDs job than DD.

Buck is a fine Manager. There is nothing to indicate what he would be as a GM.

Duquette has flaws, he's not the imbecile you've made him out to be. I think he's solidly middle of the pack.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

No way DD is middle of the pack. And fine isn't a good enough adjective to describe Showalter as a manager. He's elite

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

No way DD is middle of the pack. And fine isn't a good enough adjective to describe Showalter as a manager. He's elite

Buck is one of the best, there is no disagreement there.  I do think Duquette is a Top 15 GM. We can pick this back up in October (I'll have an article then).

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

You'll have an article. Hopefully the O's have a new GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=