422 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

$40 is a little bit under what I'd expect Dez would go for in a year-to-year auction, but it's a bargain for Dez in a keeper league.  If I throw him back, he'll go for $60+.  The guys that get kept get kept for under what a typical auction would be, so the best guys that make it back in the pool end up going for a lot higher than they would if it was from scratch every year. 

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

My first draft is this weekend. I go 11. The following players absolutely will not be available:

AP
Gurley
Brown
ODB
Julio jones
Elliott
Deandre Hopkins
AJ green

The rest is up in the air. I'm thinking I target one of Charles or Bell (not both) and pair him with another safer RB like Miller. Rb is real shallow this year IMO.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

When they zig you zag. Best advice. Now, you could finish last in your league, but you dont get the glory for a 4th place finish. 

Edit: Zagging does not mean drafting a Qb in the first round. Also, my generic advice is so shitty because I've done zero research towards fantasy this year. 

#24 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Romo broken bone in his back

#25 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

He always manages to get hurt.

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

I bet ESPN will be talking Dak Prescott for 50 minutes of every hour.

I guarantee one of the hot take artists out there (Skip, Stephen A, Rome, Cowherd) will say that Dak, Zeke, and Dez are the new "triplets" (Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin)....before Tuesday morning.
@BSLMikeRandall

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

Interesting...Prescott has looked good. If he plays well Romo may not have a job in Dallas. At some point you have to say Romo can't stay healthy and move on.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

Had my first draft today.  Took Dez in round 1, literally drafted Romo 20 minutes before the story broke about his broken back.  Couldn't have gone any worse.  Managed to snag Le'Veon Bell in round 2 and DeAngelo in round 5.  This league is full of people who really know what they are doing.

My biggest take away is how shallow RB is.  I never thought I'd see the day where a league had three WR go 1-2-3 but that happened today.  You have, quite literally, 4-5 RBs who are considered "work horses" -- the rest are either in platoons, injury risks, suspended, unproven, or some combination.  It's depressing.  My RB corps is Bell, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, TJ Yeldon, Christine Michael, Cameron Artis-Payne (Stewart handcuff) and I think I have one of the better RB groups in the league.

BTW, this league is massive.  We have 23 man rosters, start 4 IDPs, and have 12 teams.  It's a lot of fun but a draft like this takes forever.  It was on Long Island and I just got home 20 minutes ago.

@bopper33

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

The kid in my league that has Thomas Rawls wants Michael from me.  He has Chris Ivory (I have Yeldon).

He wants to make a swap, but I think Yeldon/Michael >> Yeldon/Ivory.

I know Ivory is a goal line back, but I think Yeldon will get the lions share of carries and, with Rawls' injury questions, I could have a gem in Michael.

Not sure I make that move.

@bopper33

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Had my draft yesterday. 12 team auction draft, draft cap was $175 but it expands to $200 after. Ended up being forced to keep Dion Lewis who I previously tried to drop after keeper deadline. League voted against it. Keepers in bold:

Bortles 6

Elliott 59 

L. Miller 24

Cooks 27

Demaryius Thomas 27

Hurns 12

Catanzaro 2

Bengals DST 2

Mariota 1

D. Lewis 6

Blue 1

Gaffney 1

Fleener 2

Hogan 1

Marvin Jones 2

Julius Thomas 1

Obviously my depth at RB is terrible. If one of Elliott or Miller goes down or underperforms, I'm in trouble. However, I like my starters. I changed my approach this year and put all salary into starters. Usually I'd have some $5-15 guys on the bench and I hated having to decide who to start each week. Right now it seems like the only decision I'll have weekly is whether to start someone over Hurns, but I do like to have that double dip with Hurns or even Julius Thomas.

After the waiver (we have a one time waiver each week, then it's a free for all) I am going to try to get Prosise and/or Ellington. Prosise seems to be a decent pass catcher in Seattle and Ellington may get a light workload this year but he'll be a free agent after next year and if one of the Johnsons gets hurt he could be a solid RB.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Jones for $2 is real good value. I think he's going to be good this year.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

You spent too much on K and D!

I really like J. Thomas as a $1 bid, though.  I also like Lewis at $6 and think you'll end up very happy they forced you to keep him.  You went bonkers on Elliott, but he's likely a stud and it's tough to find them in a keeper league if you don't already have them.  I think Miller, Cooks, Thomas, and Hurns are all really nice players at the prices you got them.  I especially think Thomas is a good value this year. 

You'll have to be good on the waiver wire to find some depth, but a weak bench is an easier problem to overcome than a weak starting lineup.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

You spent too much on K and D!

I really like J. Thomas as a $1 bid, though.  I also like Lewis at $6 and think you'll end up very happy they forced you to keep him.  You went bonkers on Elliott, but he's likely a stud and it's tough to find them in a keeper league if you don't already have them.  I think Miller, Cooks, Thomas, and Hurns are all really nice players at the prices you got them.  I especially think Thomas is a good value this year. 

You'll have to be good on the waiver wire to find some depth, but a weak bench is an easier problem to overcome than a weak starting lineup.

Yeah I did...LOL. I was kinda being dumb late in draft.

Elliott was the highest ranked RB besides Peterson, who went for $65. I wanted another potential stud to go with Miller, who I think will be a stud.

We do 3 WR/TE spots so I don't have a specific TE position to play Thomas in but I think he could be really good.

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

The kid in my league that has Thomas Rawls wants Michael from me.  He has Chris Ivory (I have Yeldon).

He wants to make a swap, but I think Yeldon/Michael >> Yeldon/Ivory.

I know Ivory is a goal line back, but I think Yeldon will get the lions share of carries and, with Rawls' injury questions, I could have a gem in Michael.

Not sure I make that move.

advice?

@bopper33

#35 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

I like your overall choice of Yeldon/Michael over Yeldon/Ivory but for different reasons (admittedly biased because I have Ivory on my team and expect him to produce). I've personally never been a fan of having two guys in the same RBBC because I think overall it lessens the max amount of points your team can score. There are certainly caveats to that thinking, but I'm not sure this scenario in Jacksonville is one of them.

Also biased because I like Christine Michael a lot this year (and have him in my own league). He's had a great preseason and they are already saying he could get a fair amount of carries as Rawls' backup even without a potential injury.

I'd stick it out with the 2 guys you have.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Been offered David Johnson ($10 to keep) for Dez Bryant ($40) and $20 auction budget in a $200 non-PPR keeper league.  I'm gonna try and negotiate down the dollar number, but that's a deal I gotta take, right?  My other keepers are Antonio Brown ($32), ODB ($20), and Carlos Hyde ($10) and I traded away $12 last year.  Everyone can be kept another year for $10 more than the prior year, so Johnson could be kept in 2017 for $20 if he ends up establishing himself.

I'd have Brown, ODB, Johnson, and Hyde with $96 left to spend or Brown, ODB, Bryant, and Hyde with $86 left to spend.

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

I woulkd 

Been offered David Johnson ($10 to keep) for Dez Bryant ($40) and $20 auction budget in a $200 non-PPR keeper league.  I'm gonna try and negotiate down the dollar number, but that's a deal I gotta take, right?  My other keepers are Antonio Brown ($32), ODB ($20), and Carlos Hyde ($10) and I traded away $12 last year.  Everyone can be kept another year for $10 more than the prior year, so Johnson could be kept in 2017 for $20 if he ends up establishing himself.

I'd have Brown, ODB, Johnson, and Hyde with $96 left to spend or Brown, ODB, Bryant, and Hyde with $86 left to spend.

I would do that deal. Bryant is a stud but without Romo there's no telling how he'll fare with Prescott.

David Johnson is a top 5 back and that's a great value, even with trading away salary. He'd be $50-60 if he was a free agent.

• Mackus likes this

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Nice, I talked him down to $12!

Will be keeping Brown, ODB, Johnson, and Hyde and I have $104 to spend at auction.  The top available players last year went for near $60.  Now just gotta decide if I blow $60 on one more stud or if I lay back and try to get maybe 2-3 guys for $25-30 each for a bit more depth.

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

So my RB depth is non-existent. 

Gaffney could end up being something, but Blue is a low-end handcuff and Lewis is out until week 6 at the earliest.

Looking at what's available at RB and it isn't much better but I am thinking of dropping Blue and adding someone with some more upside. Currently thinking about adding Hightower, Prosise or Barner. Any thoughts on either of them? 

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

Are Spiller or Christine Michael available? I think they may have more upside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=