#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

So in two of my leagues I pick 7th and 11th respectively.  Bleh.

I can't remember a lousier crop of running backs ever.  After the top 3-4 there's not much there.  Probably better off waiting unless you pick early.

My strategy will probably be to go WR/WR and wait on an RB and QB in rounds 3-6 (which is something I rarely do).

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

So in two of my leagues I pick 7th and 11th respectively.  Bleh.

I can't remember a lousier crop of running backs ever.  After the top 3-4 there's not much there.  Probably better off waiting unless you pick early.

My strategy will probably be to go WR/WR and wait on an RB and QB in rounds 3-6 (which is something I rarely do).

I've been going WR/WR or WR/QB, or WR/Gronk for a couple years now, and it's worked out great. Opportunity leads to points, and elite WRs create their opportunities. Back up RBs if you keep up on waivers, stash some fliers on the bench, they get their opportunity by default. 

Rather have three #1 WRs you auto start, and two back end RBs who are at least going to get 20 touches. Rather than one elite RB, another mid-level back, and a couple #2,#3 receivers you have to hope actually get thrown to because they aren't as good at creating their opportunity. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

My league's draft is this Friday. I have pick #10.

What are people's thoughts on where to draft Ezekiel Elliott and LeVeon Bell (apparently Bell's appeal is heard on Thursday).

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

Either are totally justifiable at #10, in fact I wouldn't expect Elliott to be there given how good Gurley was last year and how much people love the Dallas O-Line.  If you take Bell, you basically have to be willing to go early on Williams as well, which probably means using your 5th round pick, though maybe you can wait until the early 6th depending on how the guys at 11 and 12 are set at RB.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Just from asking around, I believe that Elliott will be there. I think someone will scoop up Cam Newton prior to me and maybe Rodgers, so someone like an Elliott, David Johnson possibly, Freeman or Dez Bryant will be available at 10. Agree that I absolutely need DeAngelo if I take LeVeon, and my guess is someone will try and handcuff me early if they can.

Anybody have any late-round sleepers they really like? I liked Dorial Green-Beckham late but he was just traded to Philadelphia where there will be many more WRs vying for targets.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

I wonder if this is the year the TB offense comes alive. Winston in year two could be a QB to stash late. Doug Martin had a nice bounce back year. Charles Sims is a PPR league candidate to pick up in the mid rounds. With Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans and account for, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins might be a late round TE stash. 

I wouldn't mind taking a last round flier on Benny Cunningham. Gurley is no sure thing with the previous injuries. Sophomore slump is possible. Tre Mason in some serious legal trouble moves Cunningham up to number two on LA's depth chart. 

Karlos Williams might be one of the best RB2s in the league, but faces a four game suspension, so he'll be passed over in many drafts. But stash him as RBs are more prone to injury, or the fresh legs of Williams taking advantage of teams with a month of wear on them. Either way, Rex will run it, and Williams will likely get his. 

Also remember on the veteran front, Victor Cruz and Josh Gordon are trying to return. If either can get healthy, it's worth a shot. Gordon has a four game suspension though. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Pass on Cruz, but I think all the other guys you mention are really intriguing late-round options.  Gordon probably the one with the most upside, but if McCoy goes down Williams is a potential stud as well.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

In my three leagues I pick 10 out of 10, 11 out of 12 and 7 out of 12.

Looks like I'll be hoping some top tier RBs fall to me in round 1.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

Lot of love for going WR near the top of the draft this year.  Could be as many as 4 WR gone by the time you pick at 7th and could be 5 off the board by 10 and 11.  That leaves you with a studly looking RB or maybe even two.

You could end up with Zeke Elliot and Jamaal Charles in the league you draft 7th.  Or Gronk and Le'Veon Bell in either of the other two.

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

So a few hours after keeper deadline turns out Dion Lewis is going to get a clean up surgery and be out 6 weeks. Kept him for $6 and I have to complete draft with him on roster. What should I do? Drop him after draft to pick up someone else or just hang onto him and hope that he performs when healthy? I hate to lock up a roster spot for half the season for someone who won't play and isn't really a marquee FF player. Only kept him for value.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

I'd keep him on your roster as long as he's expected to be back after their Week 9 bye (or sooner). 

Would be easier to do if your starting QB and/or TE don't have byes until after he returns and you can go without needing a bye-week replacement or backup on your roster.

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

I'd keep him on your roster as long as he's expected to be back after their Week 9 bye (or sooner). 

Would be easier to do if your starting QB and/or TE don't have byes until after he returns and you can go without needing a bye-week replacement or backup on your roster.

He can be dropped before the draft after all, so I will drop him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

He can be dropped before the draft after all, so I will drop him.

You really think he's gonna go for less than $6?

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

Had my draft on Friday night, had the 10th pick (12 teams). Wasn't ecstatic with it (especially Rodgers 2nd round, but it's a 6 point per TD league), but I think I can compete.

Position Name Draft Round

QB Aaron Rogers 2

WR DeAndre Hopkins 1

WR Jeremy Maclin 5

RB Carlos Hyde 3

RB Matt Forte 4

TE Julius Thomas 11

FLEX Donte Moncrief 6

K: Graham Gano 16

DEF: Arizona 10

Bench: Marvin Jones 7, Chris Ivory 8, Charles Sims 9, Christine Michael 12, Matt Stafford 13, Martellus Bennett 14, Jermaine Kearse 15

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

You really think he's gonna go for less than $6?

Yes.

And if he doesn't, I still don't want to punt a roster spot for that long.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Ok, toss him back then.  If he really goes for that cheap, I'd target him late in the auction and stash him.  You aren't gonna find many backs with his potential on the waiver wire midseason unless some bellcow gets hurt and his backup takes over and you can go all-in FAAB or have #1 priority.  Especially so in a keeper league where you would then be able to keep him cheaply next year.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

Ok, toss him back then.  If he really goes for that cheap, I'd target him late in the auction and stash him.  You aren't gonna find many backs with his potential on the waiver wire midseason unless some bellcow gets hurt and his backup takes over and you can go all-in FAAB or have #1 priority.  Especially so in a keeper league where you would then be able to keep him cheaply next year.

Right...that's why I wanted to keep him for this year. 

Thinking I can grab him for $1-2 at the end, when most owners are filling the last of their roster with $1 subs.

But then there's always some dummy who doesn't realize he's hurt and will start the bidding at a higher amount and get stuck with them.

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

This weekend had my first of three drafts. 14 teams, 15 rounds, 1 pt. PPR, 6 pt. passing TDs. Had the 11th pick.

QB - Drew Brees: 4.  

RB - LeSean McCoy: 2, DeAngelo Williams: 8 (keeper)

WR - Brandon Marshall: 1, Mike Evans: 3 (keeper)

TE - Delanie Walker: 6 (keeper)

Flex - ????

DEF - Kansas City: 12

K - Brandon McManus: 15

Bench 

WR - Tavon Austin: 5

WR - Michael Thomas: 7

RB - Jerrick McKinnon: 9

RB - James Starks: 10

RB - Benny Cunningham: 13

TE - Jimmy Graham: 11

QB - Jared Goff: 14

Was real happy to get Marshall and McCoy at the top. Some mocks it was looking like Sammy Watkins and Eddie Lacy were my best bets. Ugh. With Karlos Williams getting released, McCoy should have that much more security.

Was also happy to get Brees where I did in round 4. I didn't like anyone else available at that pick, or in the 5th round, hence the awful Tavon Austin pick, the only pick I hated making. (Other picks around there were Frank Gore, Rashad Jennings, Mohamed Sanu, Torrey Smith...yuck).

If Brees was gone by my pick in the 4th, I would have waited on a QB until later and grab Eil or Rivers or Romo, basically all the same if you don't get one of the four or five best. 

Figure I can play the matchup game between Austin, Thomas, and Graham for the flex spot. Probably Thomas for home games where Brees lights it up. See if Graham can rebound. See how Austin get's used. Like Thomas most weeks for now though.

I love the three RB handcuffs I got. All with high probability of seeing significant time, Starks and McKinnon for PPR as well. Lacy's been fat, though they say he's slimmed down. AP is gonna start wearing down, right? Gurley with the past injuries isn't certain to last. If I dont find a starting RB before Bell comes back in three weeks, I can trade a handcuff and someone else to the owner for another RB. 

Goff was a lottery ticket pick as if he becomes keeper worthy, I get him two rounds higher than I drafted him. So if he's the next Andrew Luck (#1 overall pick), I get Goff in round 12 next year, round 10 after that, then round 8. I'll take the flier and stash him until I can't afford to. 

Chiefs Defense looks like they'll rack up sacks and picks. Easier division with Peyton gone. 

Denver kicker whenever you can. 

The room groaned when I took Brees, McKinnon, Starks, Graham, and Cunnigham, as if I stole the guys everyone wanted those rounds. So I think I did all right. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

Don't think the other guy is gonna go for it, but trying to trade Dez Byant ($40), Josh Gordon ($10), and Rashad Jennings ($10) for David Johnson ($10) in my $200 auction keeper league.  I'd also be keeping Antonio Brown ($32), Odell Beckham ($20), and Carlos Hyde ($10).  The other guy has Johnson and Langford and nothing else worth keeping, so trying to sell him on a 2- or 3-for-1.  If he doesn't go for it, I'm gonna try just trading him or someone else Gordon or Jennings for some cash.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Don't think the other guy is gonna go for it, but trying to trade Dez Byant ($40), Josh Gordon ($10), and Rashad Jennings ($10) for David Johnson ($10) in my $200 auction keeper league.  I'd also be keeping Antonio Brown ($32), Odell Beckham ($20), and Carlos Hyde ($10).  The other guy has Johnson and Langford and nothing else worth keeping, so trying to sell him on a 2- or 3-for-1.  If he doesn't go for it, I'm gonna try just trading him or someone else Gordon or Jennings for some cash.

I haven't done auction leagues. Seems like $40, or 20% of your cap for Dez is a bit steep. I wouldn't make that trade, or bid that high on him. Gordon could prove to be good value at $10. I don't think Jennings is going to be an easy sell. He's a disappointment every year since becoming a #1. The Giants backfield is so muddled, it could be anyone of three or four guys getting the bulk of the carries come week 3 or 4. 

Sounds like with Brown and Beckham you don't need Gordon. He's probably your best sell on the value for a RB that might cost more, but will upgrade over Hyde. Trading $10 Gordon for a $20 RB maybe an option. Or like you said, acquire some cash.

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=