#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Here's my second article for BSL, but the first one in a long time. It features the whitewater rafting trip Kelly and I went on last summer. 

http://baltimorespor...-west-virginia/

Feel free to provide any feedback or to ask any questions if you're interested in doing something similar. 

• BSLChrisStoner, SportsGuy, NewMarketSean and 1 other like this

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Good article. You kinda stole an idea for another article I was going to write about tubing on the Potomac at Harpers Ferry. I'm actually going tomorrow, weather permitting. MD Heights is an awesome hike. 

I've done class III and class V in Ohiopyle, PA -- awesome experience.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

Looks like fun Mike..... enjoyed rafting the only time I did it, at this place in Tennessee:
https://en.wikipedia...itewater_Center

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

One of my buddies did a whitewater trip on the New River for his bachelor party about 2 years ago, we stayed at a rental house right near where the rafting company offices.  We also did some paintballing nearby.  The rapids weren't very high at all when we went, so it wasn't the best rafting, but we still had a great weekend.

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

Good article. You kinda stole an idea for another article I was going to write about tubing on the Potomac at Harpers Ferry. I'm actually going tomorrow, weather permitting. MD Heights is an awesome hike. 

I've done class III and class V in Ohiopyle, PA -- awesome experience.

I saw people tubing during my time in Harpers Ferry. That's different enough to write about. Enjoy!

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

One of my buddies did a whitewater trip on the New River for his bachelor party about 2 years ago, we stayed at a rental house right near where the rafting company offices.  We also did some paintballing nearby.  The rapids weren't very high at all when we went, so it wasn't the best rafting, but we still had a great weekend.

Lower or Upper New River?

The season is definitely a big factor. Summer is generally very good for the Lower, while the Gauley depends on the dam release in the Fall. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

Used to charter a bus and take about 30-40 friends tubing in Harper's Ferry once a summer (or sometimes we'd drive ourselves out there and then camp nearby).  Unbelievably fun and you can rent tubes to hold your beer coolers as well while you float down the river.  Haven't done that in about 4-5 years or so.

#8 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Last time I went whitewater rafting was with the Scouts out on the Deschutes River in Oregon in '06. It was an absolute blast.

Will definitely have to check this one out. I've also heard good things about the Youghiogheny.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Lower or Upper New River?

The season is definitely a big factor. Summer is generally very good for the Lower, while the Gauley depends on the dam release in the Fall. 

Forget exactly, but it was in the summer.

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

Used to charter a bus and take about 30-40 friends tubing in Harper's Ferry once a summer (or sometimes we'd drive ourselves out there and then camp nearby).  Unbelievably fun and you can rent tubes to hold your beer coolers as well while you float down the river.  Haven't done that in about 4-5 years or so.

I go about two or three times a year.

You can use an outfitter and wait in those lines or you can buy the equipment (Wal Mart routinely has cheap tubes and PFD's for sale) do a shuttle run yourself and park a car at the take out spot, and then put everything in another car and drive to the River Riders campground (you'll need a parking pass from the RR office) for a longer ride than what you get with an outfitter. I've been doing it on my own for a few years and it's probably the best FREE experience you can get once you have all the equipment.

Anyway, if I get around to writing an article about it I'll spell it all out.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

Forget exactly, but it was in the summer.

OK, well the Upper is pretty tame as I mentioned in the article. Luck is certainly a factor though in regards to water level, unless you are flexible enough that you can make sure your trip coincides with good whitewater. 

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'd be very interested in that sort of article, Sean. My friends and I were just talking about tubing up at Harpers Ferry this past weekend.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Just steer clear of Falling Waters unless you're exclusively looking for bat shit crazy women.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

I'd be very interested in that sort of article, Sean. My friends and I were just talking about tubing up at Harpers Ferry this past weekend.

Cool, I'll try to get it up early next week.

River Riders is a good company though. They do their best to move people through the orientation process but it does usually take about an hour -- hour and a half from the time you get to the office to the time your butt touches the Potomac. They say "no alcohol allowed" but that's just a disclaimer. They don't check coolers and once you're on the river you're OK. 

• Chris B likes this

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

I've only used Butt's Tubes in Harper's Ferry, but they are good as well.  Think it used to be $25-30 per person for a tube, life jacket, and unlimited trips down the river (we only ever made one really long, slow one including many stops on large rocks for chugging beers and jumping into deeper parts).  $8-10 to rent a tube for your cooler.  Same sort of alcohol disclaimer, they stress that there will likely be a state trooper in the park telling you not to drink, so don't open your beer on the banks, wait until yo get on the water and then nobody cares.  And be a good citizen and make sure all your empty cans get back into the cooler and not in the river.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:48 AM

Butts Tubes is gone. Think they became another outfitter, not sure which one but their old location is closed. Butts Tubes was the first outfitter I used so sentimental but they're gone.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

Had an awesome time on the river on Saturday. River was high, but great. Water felt amazing. I could honestly go tubing every day.

#18 aurelius

aurelius
  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Love me some WV. Pocohontas, Greenbriar and Monroe counties are nice, pretty much unspoiled by development.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=