Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

BSL: EURO 2016

http://baltimorespor....com/euro-2016/

Host team France opens play today with a match against Romania. Lots to discuss over the next several weeks but I'll go right to the bottom line. Germany is my favorite to win it all, not the hosts.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Well Game 1 is in the books and it was quite entertaining. Both France and Romania had several wasted chances. In fact, for much of the match Romania had the better chances. France went ahead in the 57th minute when Giroud headed it into the Romanian net. Some atonement for missing his chances earlier in the game.

For those who read my blog you know that I am partial to keepers. The can make or break their teams. In this case it was a bad miss by the Romanian keeper. Not that difficult a cross that should have been easily caught or at least punched clear.

But Romania kept applying pressure and earned a penalty in the 65th minute and calmly put it into the corner of the net 1-1.

Both teams had more chances but France started to control the match and in the 89th minute Payet put the French ahead for good...and of course the home crowd went crazy.

All in all a good match and a good start to EURO 2016.  Still not sold on France but they clearly have the talent if they can gel during the group stage they may go far.

• Don Quixote likes this

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

Rooting for Portugal and Croatia. Don't even know if they're in this but I love both those countries for so many reasons. Was in Porto when Porto FC won the national championship and the whole city went crazy. Pretty cool to see in person even though I know nothing about soccer.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

Sean both Portugal and Croatia are in this tournament. I expect Portugal to win their group and advance. Croatia is going to be in a potential dogfight to advance. Check out the link in the post above and you'll get a flavor for how I see the group stage shaking out.

Cool you were in Portugal during Portos championship. Most people who don't follow soccer have simply no idea how much even small towns get behind their teams. Much like our minor league baseball, every small town in most of Europe have professional teams at various levels. And in most cases its the only pro sport they have so they are all in for soccer.

Best way I can describe it to non-Fans is to think Texas High School football.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Would Albania holding Switzerland to a single goal while playing 2/3 of the game a man down be the upset of the tournament?

@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

Would Albania holding Switzerland to a single goal while playing 2/3 of the game a man down be the upset of the tournament?

Well it sure could turn out that way. Albania is one of if not the weakest team in the tournament. Now I will show my partiality again. :mrgreen: .  The Albanian keeper stopped two clear breakaways from the Swiss. At this level you have to score those. The Swill have totally controlled the game but Albania earns some major respect. 1-0 to the Swiss when you have played down a man from the 36th minute is a strong showing. However, soccer is a funny game in this respect. However in the 76th minute Albania had the best chance in the game. Attacker was five yards clear of the defense but the Swiss keeper came out and stopped the shot. This one absolutely should have been buried to make it 1-1.

In the 2006 World Cup, during group play the US was facing Italy. Now bear in mind, Italy won the whole damn thing!  In the game Italy went up 1-0 in the 22nd minute. The Us tied the game on an Italian own goal at the 27th minute. The US had been applying some real pressure on Italy. In the 28th minute, an Italian was shown red and the US had a man advantage. Italy immediately retreated to bunker and their famous Catennacio defense. Extremely tough to score against. Italy was famous for playing this style and using one or two fast front runners to try and score on quick counter attacks. And they were very good at it. 1-0 wins were a common thing for Italy.

Well the US applies a ton of pressure but just couldn't find the net. Then disaster struck. In the 45th minute Pablo Mastroeni was shown direct red and sent off taking the game to a 10-10 format. Then not two minutes later Eddie Pope was shown his second yellow turned red and he was sent off. So the US played the entire second half 9 on 10. Yet they still pushed and pushed and had the better of the play. But in the end the Italian defense held and the 1-1 draws stood. All bias aside the US was the better team and deserved a win. All three cards the US got were suspect at best. Who knows how the game would have ended had we played it all 11-10 or at least 10-10. But an entire half at only 9 on 10 was just too tough.

• Don Quixote likes this

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

England looked to be the much better side than Russia even though its 0-0 at the half. England had numerous dangerous situations develop but just couldn't find that right last pass or head on the ball.  Russia doesn't appear to be bunkering either. Every time Russia gets the ball they seem clueless what to do with it and turn it right back.

Expect to see some changes from Russia after the half either in personnel and/or structure on the field. Keep playing the way they are and England will find the back of the net.

Interesting watching Rooney. Certainly England is going to a much more youthful side and Rooney is on the way out. But they are playing him in a sort of a Michael Bradley role. Orchestrate bringing the ball up from the back and then find the long passes down the flank or over the top. He has had several really good through balls that just didn't quite connect.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

When watching the EURO teams vs. the COPA teams; do you see any consistent overall differences?  (i.e. playing styles, size, etc.)

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

FK goal in the 73rd minute for England... pretty.

#10 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

What a free-kick goal by Dier (73')! England 1, Russia 0.

#11 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

Russia draw level at 90+2' after some lackadaisical effort by England in the box.

#12 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

England still without an opening win in the European tournament...ever.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

Chris historically European soccer was more tactics and team work. While COPA teams had incredibly skilled individuals. Plus COPA teams have always been known as divers.

However in this day and age the game has evolved much more toward the middle. European players have developed skills not unlike South Americans. Conversely South Americans have learned to be much better at overall team tactics. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that so many players now play all over the world. Used to be players came up in a system and pretty much stayed playing for clubs in their country. Thats just not the case anymore. Look at the rosters of any of top 20 or 30 teams in FIFA right now and check out their respective club teams!

Oh, one more thing. South Americans are still diving freaks.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

So in the last 19 tournaments for England in their opening matches they have a sum total of 4 wins. 4. Should have had 5 today but they pulled an England and found a way to not win a game they clearly dominated.....so sad

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

So in the last 19 tournaments for England in their opening matches they have a sum total of 4 wins. 4. Should have had 5 today but they pulled an England and found a way to not win a game they clearly dominated.....so sad

Can't believe that. Entertaining though.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

God bless the Lions. They know how to torture their fans better than anyone else.
@DJ_McCann

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

My pre tourney favorites, Germany, won today 2-0 but it was a close game against the Ukraine. Neuer showed today why he is the best keeper in the world.

#18 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

Italy - Belgium was a very entertaining match yesterday. Italy's defense was very sound and could be a darkhorse to win it. Very strange calling Italy a darkhorse, but they are missing a number of their best players. I'd like to see more Immobile, he caught my eye in the run up to the World Cup in 2014 and looked like a difference maker late in this match.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@gabefergy

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I caught a good portion of the IRL-SWE game yesterday. The Irish had several quality scoring chances in the first half. 

#20 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

The Russian hooligans are probably getting ready to burst at the seams. Down 2-0 to Slovakia at the half. And they best be careful. UEFA has already fined the Russian Federation stiffly for their fan behavoir at the England match and anymore of that type of stuff inside a stadium and Russia will be dismissed from the tournament.

http://sports.yahoo....zlfMQRzZWMDc2M-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=