@mikeghg

#263 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

It was also senseless to have him up here just as a mopup guy. Use him!
  • Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#264 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

It was also senseless to have him up here just as a mopup guy. Use him!

I honestly do not understand sending Akin down and replacing him with a 35 year old guy who has not seen the majors since 2017.

@mikeghg

#265 Big Mac

Big Mac
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:18 PM

The treatment of Akin this year really is baffling.  He should either be up permanently ideally in the rotation (but I'd be okay with as a long man temporarily) or down in Bowie working on things.  Bringing him up to sit for a week, sending him back down, then bringing him back up to get one out just makes zero sense. 

• BSLChrisStoner, JeremyStrain, BobPhelan and 2 others like this
@s_sully91

#266 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

Seems like the O's are not utilizing this crazy short season to get much out of it. They are playing pretty good baseball. Well they were for awhile anyway. But it seemed like this was a perfect setup for the O's to get a bunch of the young upcoming guys a some ML level experience with little to no pressure.

But they don't seem to be doing that with a few exceptions such as Mountcastle.

#267 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Akin starting tomorrow

@mikeghg

#268 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:46 AM

With Givens and Milone gone this is going to give the young guys shots. Lets see what they got.

#269 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

With Givens and Milone gone this is going to give the young guys shots. Lets see what they got.

Agreed, Kremer and Baumann next??

@mikeghg

#270 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:52 PM

MASN: A closer look at Keegan Akin’s start
https://www.masnspor...trade-note.html

#271 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

If the O's prefer Kevin Smith in the rotation, I wonder if they might give Akin a chance as a late inning guy in the pen.  I just don't get the impression that they see him as more than a 5th or 6th starter, and using him as a mop-up guy seems like a waste.  If his mid 90's lefty fastball ticks up a couple MPH's as a reliever, he could be a nice weapon, imo.      

#272 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

If the O's prefer Kevin Smith in the rotation, I wonder if they might give Akin a chance as a late inning guy in the pen. I just don't get the impression that they see him as more than a 5th or 6th starter, and using him as a mop-up guy seems like a waste. If his mid 90's lefty fastball ticks up a couple MPH's as a reliever, he could be a nice weapon, imo.

Yeah he is a guy that I think could be good in that role if he can just focus on just using his two best pitches. But I would definitely see if he can’t earn himself a role in the back end of a rotation first.

#273 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

9/5: 5.1 ip, 3 hits, 0 er, 4 bb's, 8 k's

#274 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Needs to cut down on walks some but I like what I am seeing from Akin.

#275 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

RotoGraphs:

https://fantasy.fang...-gibson-others/

Akin was an intriguing rookie where a high BABIP (.358) led to a high WHIP (1.44) and ERA (4.56). His strikeouts (12.3 K/9) and walks (3.5 BB/9) usually point to a pitcher with a high 3.00’s ERA.

I’ll start with the good. His fastball (14% SwStr%) and changeup (21% SwStr%) are elite and he threw them 79% of the time. The results are similar to Chris Paddack’s pitches (fastball: 8% SwStr%, change: 18% SwStr%). It’s the other 20% of pitches that cost him. His curveball (10% SwStr%) was below average and his slider (4% SwStr%) was complete garbage. Also, none of his pitches generate groundballs at an above-average rate, so he’s likely to be home run prone, especially in his small home park.

With his current talent level, he should be a two-pitch pitcher who could mix in an occasional curveball. With just the two pitches, he’ll be limited twice through the order by his manager or the opposing team teeing off. There is a lot to like here, but the profile has limited upside.

• BobPhelan likes this

#276 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

RotoGraphs:

Akin was an intriguing rookie where a high BABIP (.358) led to a high WHIP (1.44) and ERA (4.56). His strikeouts (12.3 K/9) and walks (3.5 BB/9) usually point to a pitcher with a high 3.00’s ERA.

I’ll start with the good. His fastball (14% SwStr%) and changeup (21% SwStr%) are elite and he threw them 79% of the time. The results are similar to Chris Paddack’s pitches (fastball: 8% SwStr%, change: 18% SwStr%). It’s the other 20% of pitches that cost him. His curveball (10% SwStr%) was below average and his slider (4% SwStr%) was complete garbage. Also, none of his pitches generate groundballs at an above-average rate, so he’s likely to be home run prone, especially in his small home park.

With his current talent level, he should be a two-pitch pitcher who could mix in an occasional curveball. With just the two pitches, he’ll be limited twice through the order by his manager or the opposing team teeing off. There is a lot to like here, but the profile has limited upside.

Similar to the limitations a guy like Derek Holland has had to deal with.

Aiken needs one more pitch.

@mikeghg

#277 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:12 PM

RotoGraphs:

I’ll start with the good. His fastball (14% SwStr%) and changeup (21% SwStr%) are elite and he threw them 79% of the time. The results are similar to Chris Paddack’s pitches (fastball: 8% SwStr%, change: 18% SwStr%). It’s the other 20% of pitches that cost him. His curveball (10% SwStr%) was below average and his slider (4% SwStr%) was complete garbage. Also, none of his pitches generate groundballs at an above-average rate, so he’s likely to be home run prone, especially in his small home park.

Sounds right to me

#278 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

Yeah similar to what we've been saying on The Verge. He works well down in the zone, but misses a lot when trying to work up in the zone and when that command is off..it can get rough. Earned a rotation spot to start 2021 but we'll see if he finishes there.

• BobPhelan and BSLRoseKatz like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#279 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

MASN: Akin seeking consistency in 2021
https://www.masnspor...cy-in-2021.html

#280 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:29 PM

Officially sent down. Hope it's a very brief stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=