#141 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

Is that because he has been doing something or because the O's are out of any semblance of a pitcher?

His numbers at AA were not great.  He has a 4.60 ERS and a 1.47 WHIP.  His Strike out to walk is just 2 to 1.  

I think the answer to your question might be option 3.  They may be pushing him to see if he is deserving a spot on the 40 man.

@mikeghg

#142 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:21 PM

Have to disagree with the Sedlock takes here. 

Sedlock is throwing 95-96 mph with a curveball that's getting swings and misses and he's had a good season with baseball card starts that are skewed from a few bad outings and a number of shorter relief outings. He's done a great job of limiting the walks over the last 1-2 months and just went on one the hottest stretches of his career. 

If he can continue this in Triple-A, he's a major league reliever and considering his injury history and struggles in the lower levels of the minor leagues, that's a win.

• BobPhelan likes this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#143 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:28 PM

Hows he still in this organization. Feels like we drafted him 8 or 9 years ago

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

Hows he still in this organization. Feels like we drafted him 8 or 9 years ago

I think 2016

@mikeghg

#145 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:34 PM

He's 26 at AA.  Remember Lou Montanez?

If Sedlock's numbers aren't ridiculous, and they aren't, I'm not sure how he can be viewed as anything but organizational filler.  In August he's given up 14 hits and 5 walks plus he's hit a batter in 13.2 innings.  That's not a high number of walks, but it's not a low number either (3.3 BB/9).  Small sample, sure, but it's basically exactly as bad as the rest of his samples.  I think it's a real stretch to look at his numbers and see something encouraging unless you're actively ignoring all the negatives.

#146 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

It was '16 and someone explain to me how we drafted 27th that year after an 81-81 season in '15 but the year before we drafted 25th after winning 96 games in '14

#147 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:37 PM

Im guessing we lost a pick due to signing a FA? Which bum did DD sign that cost us?

#148 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

It was '16 and someone explain to me how we drafted 27th that year after an 81-81 season in '15 but the year before we drafted 25th after winning 96 games in '14

Lost their 1st round pick as a result of signing Yovani Gallardo.  Sedlock was a Comp pick for losing Wei-Yin Chen.  Tons of teams lost 1st round picks for compensation reasons that year, so there were only 23 1st round picks.

https://www.baseball...6_Amateur_Draft

#149 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:42 PM

He's 26 at AA.  Remember Lou Montanez?

If Sedlock's numbers aren't ridiculous, and they aren't, I'm not sure how he can be viewed as anything but organizational filler.  In August he's given up 14 hits and 5 walks plus he's hit a batter in 13.2 innings.  That's not a high number of walks, but it's not a low number either (3.3 BB/9).  Small sample, sure, but it's basically exactly as bad as the rest of his samples.  I think it's a real stretch to look at his numbers and see something encouraging unless you're actively ignoring all the negatives.

I'm watching him on the field, not actively ignoring negatives. 

Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:42 PM

Im guessing we lost a pick due to signing a FA? Which bum did DD sign that cost us?

Gallardo, so yea, it was a typical DD acquisition.

@mikeghg

#151 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:47 PM

I'm watching him on the field, not actively ignoring negatives.

Scouting is vastly superior to stats in the minors, no disagreement there, but when the stats are this mediocre for a player who is so much older than the competition, I think it's hard to envision future success. He's been knocked around by kids 2-3 years younger than him all year long (800+ OPS-against each month except for a solid May).

#152 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:58 PM

Ok I am convinced my original question was correct. He's not any good.

#153 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:01 PM

I think he can be another Dillon Tate. Before his last start he had about a two month stretch where he barely walked anyone and was very effective. He’s not in my top 50 prospects and no chance he is a starter at the major league level but he has two good pitches that could work in relief. Same with Blaine Knight.

#154 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

I think he can be another Dillon Tate. Before his last start he had about a two month stretch where he barely walked anyone and was very effective. He’s not in my top 50 prospects and no chance he is a starter at the major league level but he has two good pitches that could work in relief. Same with Blaine Knight.

The kindest I can cherry pick the gamelogs is from June 29th thru Aug 7th where he had 5 BB in 32.1 IP.  That's a really good walk rate.  But it's only 8 games and 32 IP.  His other 9 games and 30 IP, he's walked 25 plus 3 HBP.  And even in that stretch where he wasn't walking guys, he still gave up 7 home runs!  In a league where 90% of the hitters he's faced are younger than him.

I get that we don't want to write anyone off.  And since Sedlock still has another year before he's gone as a minor league FA, there is no reason to do so.  I'm not saying we should release him.  I'm just saying he's not really a prospect (which you seem to agree with if he's outside your top-50), rather he's organizational filler at this point, which of course every organization needs.  And also that he didn't earn this promotion on merit because he hasn't performed well even recently, IMO.  There is a reason this thread has gone un-bumped for nearly 2 years before yesterday.

• BobPhelan likes this

#155 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:40 PM

The kindest I can cherry pick the gamelogs is from June 29th thru Aug 7th where he had 5 BB in 32.1 IP. That's a really good walk rate. But it's only 8 games and 32 IP. His other 9 games and 30 IP, he's walked 25 plus 3 HBP. And even in that stretch where he wasn't walking guys, he still gave up 7 home runs! In a league where 90% of the hitters he's faced are younger than him.

I get that we don't want to write anyone off. And since Sedlock still has another year before he's gone as a minor league FA, there is no reason to do so. I'm not saying we should release him. I'm just saying he's not really a prospect (which you seem to agree with if he's outside your top-50), rather he's organizational filler at this point, which of course every organization needs. And also that he didn't earn this promotion on merit because he hasn't performed well even recently, IMO. There is a reason this thread has gone un-bumped for nearly 2 years before yesterday.

Yeah I think we pretty much agree. I’d put him between prospect and filler - role player? Low leverage reliever type just like Isaac Mattson, Marcos Diplan, Blaine Knight, etc.

#156 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:14 PM

He probably is mostly filler, though he also has bad luck and timing. He's very old for his level in part cause his first two full years were kind of wrecked by injury and his fourth by Covid. He has 311 career innings, which surprised me it was even that high, but Kremer and Akin, both in the same draft, have over 460 and even Lowther drafted a year later has over 360.

Still, unlike most positions if you are a step above filler you can still be a decent reliever for a few years if things go right since things can be so variable with those guys. Guys like Bleier and Brach were probably never really prospects but they can be useful to have. Maybe Sedlock can do that, maybe not. I don't see why he's still starting because you might as well see if the stuff can play up a little. 

• Mackus likes this

#157 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:30 AM

Can someone tell me what Sedlock did in his Triple-A debut last night? I missed it....

#158 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:59 AM

Did he have a month's worth of good performance? Or get two years younger? :)
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:05 AM

Can someone tell me what Sedlock did in his Triple-A debut last night? I missed it....

I'm glad that he's continued to battle, and earned his way up. The AA numbers, hit per IP, a bit more than a K per IP are encouraging a bit. The 10 homers allowed not so much.

Know when he was drafted, he was compared to Erickson as someone that could possibly eat innings, and get a lot of grounders with the 2 seamer.

Where is his velocity currently? Is it sustained?

He's started 13 games this year (18 appearances).
I'd imagine his future is as a reliever right? If everything plays up and he can be a groundball machine, I'd be excited there.
Another J.Johnson would be awesome.

#160 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:07 AM

I'm waiting to hear reports from "anonymous rival scouts."

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=