552 replies to this topic

#501 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:16 AM

While I know the Coliseum is a dump, I don't know all the details about getting a new stadium built.  Is this another case of a city not wanting to subsidize a billionaire like in San Diego or is there more to it?

I think there is a genuine "want to" among the city leaders to get something done. Their plan called for something like $8B worth of redevelopment around an old shipping terminal. But like I said above, it's tough getting big projects built in California, and the A's (with MLB's blessing) said they're sick of waiting.

#502 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:07 PM

I mean, since the turn of the century California has built a ton of new stadiums. Although I’m guessing almost all were privately funded?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#503 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:09 PM

I think there is a genuine "want to" among the city leaders to get something done. Their plan called for something like $8B worth of redevelopment around an old shipping terminal. But like I said above, it's tough getting big projects built in California, and the A's (with MLB's blessing) said they're sick of waiting.

Chris Russo had the As president on before and he said the earliest any ballpark could have been completed in Oakland was 2031.

@bopper33

#504 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:19 PM

I mean, since the turn of the century California has built a ton of new stadiums. Although I’m guessing almost all were privately funded?

Reading about the 49ers stadium, sounded like it was mostly public financed.  Unlike Maryland, I don't think California has a state level stadium authority.  Santa Clara County formed one to build their stadium.  And I imagine Santa Clara is far more wealthy than Oakland.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#505 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:24 PM

Reading about the 49ers stadium, sounded like it was mostly public financed.  Unlike Maryland, I don't think California has a state level stadium authority.  Santa Clara County formed one to build their stadium.  And I imagine Santa Clara is far more wealthy than Oakland.

And the 49ers spent a long time looking for somewhere to get a new stadium.

#506 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 05:33 PM

The new ones in LA (SoFi and the Clippers new place) were all privately financed. I think the Warriors new place in SF was all private too. Not sure about the Giants ballpark. The 49ers, Padres and Sacramento Kings got some public money, and put up some themselves. The Chargers tried to in SD, but a public vote failed.

When I mention how tough it is to build in CA, I'm also referring to how much red tape you have to go through there, overcome pushback from the NIMBYs, and the overall costs of construction compared to other places. Those can be as challenging as trying to get public money.

Vegas seems almost completely opposite. They LOVE building new stuff there. The only thing they love as much as building new stuff is blowing up their old stuff.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#507 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:36 PM

I had no idea the Warriors had left Oakland. Guess just going to SF isn't that devastating for most local fans, but still surprised that I have no memory of that happening.

#508 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:07 AM

#509 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:10 AM

They've won 7 in a row and 2 against the Rays.

Wow.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#510 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 10:00 AM

With Dan Snyder on his way out, John Fisher now holds the title of Worst Owner In Pro Sports (and you-know-who running a close second).

#511 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:59 PM

They're, surprisingly, not the worst team in baseball anymore.

#512 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:05 PM

Remember "Free the Birds?"

I hope this goes better for the A's.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#513 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:06 PM

I watched the game last night, because what doesn't make losing a wager even worse than hanging on to every pitch? 

Anywho, amazing crowd. Just such an amazing vibe last night, team absolutely fed off of it. 

I feel really terrible for those fans. They deserve so much better than they've always gotten there. That's a good fan base that has never had a respectable stadium or an owner willing to put his good teams over the top.

#514 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:28 PM

I watched the game last night, because what doesn't make losing a wager even worse than hanging on to every pitch? 

Anywho, amazing crowd. Just such an amazing vibe last night, team absolutely fed off of it. 

I feel really terrible for those fans. They deserve so much better than they've always gotten there. That's a good fan base that has never had a respectable stadium or an owner willing to put his good teams over the top.

Good post.  I think there ios a lot of blame to go around.  The A's ownership is first and foremost, but the government there, allowing the stadium to be total garbage also shares the blame.  I went to a few games there about 10 years ago and it was bad then.  I can only imagine what it is now.

@mikeghg

#515 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:49 PM

Feel bad for the fans, but what idiots pay those owners money when they are on their way out of town?
@BSLMikeRandall

#516 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:54 PM

Feel bad for the fans, but what idiots pay those owners money when they are on their way out of town?

I think I read somewhere that all the proceeds from last night went to a local food bank. Knowing Fisher, I'd ask to see receipts on that.

#517 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 10:03 PM

Not to go all Chris Russo on everyone but if Oakland isn’t giving him a park — and Vegas will — well, I know where I’d move my team. And I think most of you all would too.

@bopper33

#518 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2023 - 10:36 PM

Not to go all Chris Russo on everyone but if Oakland isn’t giving him a park — and Vegas will — well, I know where I’d move my team. And I think most of you all would too.

100%.

Still feel awful for the diehards in Oakland. Gotta suck.

#519 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 10:52 PM

That franchise has got to have the record for most relocations in MLB history. If they do indeed wind up in Vegas, that will be the A's fourth city since 1901. 

#520 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 June 2023 - 12:56 PM

Like Ricker said, you have to feel bad for the fans. I don't know if Oakland is too close to SF to be a viable franchise, of if they've just suffered a string of terrible, cheapskate owners that just used the franchise as an investment properly. Buy it today, sell it for much more in X number of years. I went to that stadium once, it was terrible. But more than that, there was nothing around it to draw people in beyond going to the game. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=