Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

http://espn.go.com/b... ... iderations

Omar Quintanilla has been traded to the Baltimore Orioles for future considerations, a major league source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Quintanilla had been designated for assignment to clear a roster spot for the activation of Jason Bay from the disabled list.

Mets officials had been concerned they would lose Quintanilla off waivers if they tried to pass him through to send him to Triple-A Buffalo, so they DFA'd him to buy time and now have dealt him to Baltimore.

Roch Update: https://twitter.com/...414949612802049

#orioles say they acquired Quintanilla for "cash considerations."

Another Roch Update: https://twitter.com/...437474182893569

Buck, on MASN, referred to Quintanilla as plus defender. Impressed #orioles during their series at Citi Field.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Future considerations has a lot of potential. Pretty disappointed to give him up in return for a utility guy.

In all seriousness, he doesn't look like much of an option, although he has hit pretty well this year. Possibly a better option at 2B than Flaherty and Tolleson, at least if he can keep hitting like he has so far this season (which is unlikely).

#3 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Wonder if Flaherty is going to be packaged in a trade now?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#4 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Anyone know how he is defensively?

@AdamWolff

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I do not believe I have ever seen him play. I was shocked he has been around so long. Was hoping he had some speed but he has exactly 3 more major league stolen bases than me.
@mikeghg

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

This terrible of a hitter HAS TO be a good defender to play in the majors. This is a real head-shaker move.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

This terrible of a hitter HAS TO be a good defender to play in the majors. This is a real head-shaker move.

Yeah, I am not a big Flaherty fan or Tolleson for that matter but not sure how this really helps us. It kind of reminds of the move AM made for a no hit SS a few years ago. That was so memorable I forgot his name.
@mikeghg

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Pretty good. Saw him play 2nd against the Nats last month. Made a CRAZY good diving play to rob someone of a hit, looked solid all night. Batted 8th, so you know how they viewed his bat.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Updated the OP.... Roch says we are apparently just dealing "cash considerations".

#10 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Future considerations has a lot of potential. Pretty disappointed to give him up in return for a utility guy.

In all seriousness, he doesn't look like much of an option, although he has hit pretty well this year. Possibly a better option at 2B than Flaherty and Tolleson, at least if he can keep hitting like he has so far this season (which is unlikely).

But what was his TTTP??

#11 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Could have done worse. Granted he's north of 30 with little MLB experience, but batting 257 this year with a 350 OBP. Stats look like he's never seen much consistent playing time. Just 70 ABs for the Mets in place of Tejada. I could be mistaken but I seem to remember him flashing a little leather against the O's this year too.

Splits say the guy hits righties 296/397/444 and let's not forget that he's replacing Andino who has been a nightmare at the plate this season (233/300/307 vs righties & 227/275/347 vs lefties at ASB). Could be a platoon play or even a defensive 3rd baseman(not sure if he actually plays 3rd but can't be much worse than what we have) when Andino returns.

I see it like the Thome deal. As a splash it's terrible but as an answer to the hole at 2nd it's an upgrade.

Duquette hasn't exactly loaded up the O's with talent, but I'm hard pressed to think of an Oriole he's brought in who hasn't at least been an upgrade over the guy he replaced.
@Thyrl

#12 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Wonder if Flaherty is going to be packaged in a trade now?

Are we allowed to trade him? He's a Rule 5 guy from the Cubs, not sure what the rules are.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#13 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Could have done worse. Granted he's north of 30 with little MLB experience, but batting 257 this year with a 350 OBP. Stats look like he's never seen much consistent playing time. Just 70 ABs for the Mets in place of Tejada. I could be mistaken but I seem to remember him flashing a little leather against the O's this year too.

Splits say the guy hits righties 296/397/444 and let's not forget that he's replacing Andino who has been a nightmare at the plate this season (233/300/307 vs righties & 227/275/347 vs lefties at ASB). Could be a platoon play or even a defensive 3rd baseman(not sure if he actually plays 3rd but can't be much worse than what we have) when Andino returns.

I see it like the Thome deal. As a splash it's terrible but as an answer to the hole at 2nd it's an upgrade.

Duquette hasn't exactly loaded up the O's with talent, but I'm hard pressed to think of an Oriole he's brought in who hasn't at least been an upgrade over the guy he replaced.

592 career at bats, with 500 of those in Colorado...

A career .572 OPS in the majors, with a .628 OPS against right-handers is simply terrible, especially when 84% of that came in Colorado. If you want to point out his numbers in 70 AB's this year to back up your take on his acquisition, that's okay, but I can't expect that to continue. He typically has no bat, no speed, no pop and good defense. Not seeing the point in this, but time will tell. I've been wrong before.

Regardless, this isn't that big of a deal.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Not awful, but yawn.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Are we allowed to trade him? He's a Rule 5 guy from the Cubs, not sure what the rules are.

We can deal him, if I recall, but the team getting him would have to keep him all season or offer him back to the Cubs.

#16 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

592 career at bats, with 500 of those in Colorado...

A career .572 OPS in the majors, with a .628 OPS against right-handers is simply terrible, especially when 84% of that came in Colorado. If you want to point out his numbers in 70 AB's this year to back up your take on his acquisition, that's okay, but I can't expect that to continue. He typically has no bat, no speed, no pop and good defense. Not seeing the point in this, but time will tell. I've been wrong before.

Regardless, this isn't that big of a deal.

Small sample size indeed, but it looks like the only time besides 2008 when he received regular ABs. I realize that the reasons for that are self evident and an indictment. He'd still have a tough time being much worse than Andino has been and could be benefitting from regular time.

Coors and Citi are both spacious parks with lots of fair territory (although they play much differently) he won't have that here. I just wonder what thin air does to a punch and judy hitter. Not that there's a comparison but as a slap hitting softball player, using triple wall or loaded bats turn my singles into outs, maybe the thin air could have a similar impact on a slappy dude like Quintanilla.
@Thyrl

#17 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Small sample size indeed, but it looks like the only time besides 2008 when he received regular ABs. I realize that the reasons for that are self evident and an indictment. He'd still have a tough time being much worse than Andino has been and could be benefitting from regular time.

Coors and Citi are both spacious parks with lots of fair territory (although they play much differently) he won't have that here. I just wonder what thin air does to a punch and judy hitter. Not that there's a comparison but as a slap hitting softball player, using triple wall or loaded bats turn my singles into outs, maybe the thin air could have a similar impact on a slappy dude like Quintanilla.

Hehehehe good post. Yeah, Andino has been pretty bad himself.

BTW, nice interview w/Britton AND since I believe I missed saying it before: welcome to the board.

#18 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hehehehe good post. Yeah, Andino has been pretty bad himself.

BTW, nice interview w/Britton AND since I believe I missed saying it before: welcome to the board.

Thanks and Thanks. BTW just noticed (should have been tipped off by the extra 100 pts in OBP) that he's seeing 4.25 pitches per PA this year too. Hoping that bodes well for him getting better with more playing time. O's sure don't have enough guys doing that.
@Thyrl

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks and Thanks. BTW just noticed (should have been tipped off by the extra 100 pts in OBP) that he's seeing 4.25 pitches per PA this year too. Hoping that bodes well for him getting better with more playing time. O's sure don't have enough guys doing that.

Sometimes guys just need more playing time to excel a bit. You never know, but he is probably a solid reserve.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

I updated the OP with this...

Another Roch Update: https://twitter.com/...437474182893569

Buck, on MASN, referred to Quintanilla as plus defender. Impressed #orioles during their series at Citi Field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=