#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Me too. It's seriously insane how over saturated it is. Starting to despise them more and more.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

It's March 1 tomorrow, NCAA heating up, NBA and NHL playoff pictures starting to take shape.  Spring training has begun.

And I have to turn my radio on and hear "I think RG3 would...."

CLICK!!!!!

Lots of threads here too, but those are easier to simply ignore.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, last year at a much lower spot I was all about the combine and build up to the draft. This year, I haven't paid much attention. Didn't even know the Combine was this weekend until Friday. Did look at some stuff today, but I'll worry about football again a few days before the draft. 

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

Ok, Im being a bit disingenuous saying I'll only worry about it a few days before the draft. That said, my interest level has gone down significantly the past 5 months or so. Part of it is the Ravens being so bad, the other is definitely the over saturation. 

#6 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

It's March 1 tomorrow, NCAA heating up, NBA and NHL playoff pictures starting to take shape.  Spring training has begun.

And I have to turn my radio on and hear "I think RG3 would...."

CLICK!!!!!

Lots of threads here too, but those are easier to simply ignore.

Way back in the OH days, you used to make fun of me for defending ESPN at all costs if you recall...Now with MLB and NBA having their own channel and me not caring about Football, I literally only watch ESPN for live games. Couldn't name more than a few Sportscenter anchors. 

The only Football that i ever hear is at work or on Simmons podcasts. 

@beginthebegin71

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Too much goddamn NFL talk right now.

Sick of it.

Welcome to me 8 years ago!

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.  Yet their numbers keep going up, don't they?  

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

Who cares about the NBA regular season? Almost everyone makes the playoffs. 😀
  • McNulty and RShack like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#9 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

Two years ago I took a season off from the NFL.  I might do it again this year.

• SammyBirdland likes this

@fuzydunlop

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

Ratings are powerful

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

I can't get enough football talk.

What I hate is not that there is football discussion...  it's the lack of balance some sites provide... but as Rob said, ratings rule.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

I still love the game of football, but my NFL interest has greatly diminished over the past several years. The saturation doesn't bother me because I've become very good at avoiding it or blocking it out....this despite the fact that I do have a couple of "those friends" on Facebook who felt the need to share a Ravens.com post on what several players thought about the Oscars last night. Seriously, people, get help or you are getting blocked.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

I pretty easily avoid NFL talk too so the saturation isn't that big of a deal to me. Still love Sunday's, but my overall interest has definitely decreased in recent years.

#14 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

I'm fairly disgusted with the culture of the players, the NFL front office, teams gladly signing any brutal woman/child beater as long as they have talent, and fans insisting that Tom Brady didn't conspire with "The Deflator" to let the air out of some balls. It wasn't an atmospheric phenomenon, stop it. I have no desire or excitement for next season. Fantasy has been the only thing really holding my interest over the past couple years, and I pretty much suck at that too.
  • McNulty and Don Quixote like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:25 AM

It never gets old...

• SammyBirdland and Mark Carver like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#16 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

I see more and more people that I would characterize as "sports fans" who are turned off by the league - yet every time I see any article about ratings or popularity they seem to be climbing.  They've done a remarkable job marketing to women - just looking over my own personal Facebook page, during NFL season the football talk is far and away more prevalent from females.  

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

I think people say they are done, or taking a break, and it doesn't hold up.

I have a love hate relationship with the league, I'm a PSL owner, etc...but I always keep coming back. I've definitely cooled the intensity off a bit since the Super Bowl though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

I see more and more people that I would characterize as "sports fans" who are turned off by the league - yet every time I see any article about ratings or popularity they seem to be climbing.  They've done a remarkable job marketing to women - just looking over my own personal Facebook page, during NFL season the football talk is far and away more prevalent from females.  

Yeah, I've seen stories about this. The league knows that they've essentially maxed out the possible male audience, so they've pivoted to focusing more and more on the potential female audience. That's why you're seeing more and more NFL commercials involving families, and the league is really pushing breast cancer awareness.

If you haven't read this yet, it's long, but it does a good job explaining what the league is doing in this regard: 

The NFL Can't Stop Pandering At Women 

@DJ_McCann

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

The NFL has things going for it that MLB can't, or doesn't...

- Attention spans are less... many people can't pay attention 162 times.... they can over 16 games.

- There are always things going on in baseball... but some of it is not 'seen'.... football doesn't have to be explained as much to enjoy...

- Gambling... there is a direct impact to interest here... (there is MLB gambling, but will never be similar.)

- No local tv revenues...

- Salary cap

- Ability to trade picks...

- College Football popularity vs. College Baseball..

- College players can immediately step into the NFL....  as opposed to the obscurity of the MLB Minors...

- Some might disagree with this one... but some random NFL game (doesn't even have to be good teams), is often more watchable than showcase MLB games.

- MLB stars (non-pitchers) have less ability to impact individual games vs. NFL stars...

- At universal times on Sunday, you have ESPN, CBS, FOX, and NFL Network each doing high end studio shows, effectively advertising football....  shows for MLB are inconsistent time wise, and have less production value...

- Baseball isn't seen as 'cool'...

I love football... I prefer baseball.  That said, I don't think it's a surprise that football gets the coverage it does.

I do think it's dumb that companies which have ties to baseball... say ESPN.... do such horrible jobs covering the game. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  "We cover it less (and not as good) because there is less interest." Which does nothing to help reverse those trends.

• You Play to Win the Game, SammyBirdland, RShack and 1 other like this

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Some of those points I disagree with, Chris, but the only one I have a real problem with is #2. It seems to me that on a very basic level, the two sports are almost identical in that respect.

You can watch both very easily on a "watch the ball" level, and both can be explained simply that way, but both also quickly dive deep into off-the-ball player movement and interactions that can make it complicated.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=