202 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

With Ron Dennis gone, McClaren has returned to using Ye Olde McClaren Orange....

img_3831.png

And for the very first time, casual viewers will be able to tell the 2 Red Bull teams apart without needing a course in subtle paint-job differences...

The Red Bull...

c5p1qcdwqaardcr-jpg-large.jpeg?w=1000

The Toro Rosso...

screen-shot-2017-02-26-at-20-54-10.png?w

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Yep...

but...

For 20+ years, Mario has been saying that what F1 needs is more HP, more tire, and less aero... he says doing that will cause passing... plus, when it gets sideways in the corner, that's when you find out who can drive... given all that, the front tray seems bigger and more complex to me... which means the front end will wash out when they get right on somebody's tail and lose airflow... they made the rear wing lower and smaller, which I like...but that's not where the passing-problem comes from...

I don't care if they make the rear wing huge, just so they aren't relying on a big group of complex front winglets to keep the car glued to the road... but the front tray all the new cars look to me like the new formula ups reliance on exactly that... I will wait to see what Scarbs has to say about it... I hope he says I'm wrong about this...

Drivers say the cars are way better but it's gonna be harder to pass due to increased aero fx... https://www.motorspo...tter_2017-02-28

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#83 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

1st day of practice in the new cars at Barcelona...

* Lewis Hamilton did a lap of 1m-21.765s in the new Mercedes....

* Seb did a 1m-21.878 in his Ferrari...

* Massa came out of retirement to do a 1m-22.076 in the Williams...

* Magnusen in the Haas did 1m-22.894s...

All this during the first session when any of them got to actually drive the cars...

Last year's Barcelona pole was 1m-22.000s...  

Which means these things are gonna be a lot faster once they get'em sorted out...

Day 3:  Bottas in the Mercedes and Seb in the Ferrari each get down into the 1:19's...  

Red Bull, Renault and Sauber all get under last year's pole time...

So far, Mercedes has done 470 laps, Ferrari 350 laps... both are outstanding for cars that have never-ever been run before...

These things are gonna be very fast... plus they won't break...

#84 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

It's one thing to know that F1 drivers face loads of 5G under cornering and braking... (and "only" 3G during acceleration)... but it's something else to see it...

The photo below is of Nico Rosberg's Mercedes during last year's race at Japan's Suzuka track... one of the best, most challenging tracks F1 visits...  the photo captures the car responding to the G-forces while cornering... you can see the suspension twist and the tires deform under the load...

The photo captures nothing special or unusual... it's not an accident or other unusual event... it's just last year's World Champion making a perfectly normal turn...

23128b485444126da5b05e831a174897.jpg

At Suzuka they do 53 laps for an F1 race... 18 turns per lap... so 954 turns in an hour-and-a-half race... with the driver's head, torso and limbs getting slammed side-to-side and forward-and-back by forces up to 5 times their own body weight... yet, somehow a few folks think they're not athletes...

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#85 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

F1:  the new formula shown in video...

https://www.formula1...017/2/F1_racing's_2017_regulation_changes_explained.html

EDIT:  in the link above, the damn apostrophe interferes with the link... copy and paste the whole thing

#86 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

F1 Australia...  

#1 of 20 races

The race is on the streets of a public park in Melbourne... think of it like F1 in Central Park...

1st race of the year... in Free Practice 1 and Free Practice 2, the cars were nearing record speeds, after just a few days of pre-season testing in Barcelona... 

* Free Practice 3:  12:30am EDT Fri night-Sat morning

* Qualifying (which is way more exciting and interesting than it sounds):  2am EDT Fri night-Sat morning

* Race:  midnight EDT Sat night

All on NBCSN... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

#87 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

#88 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Shack if you're ever in NYC I've found your bar

4MQIUZi.jpg
  • RShack likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#89 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

Driving through a city park... with lap times of 144 mph... touching 200 at the fastest parts...

#90 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

F1 China...  

#2 of 20 races

The race is on a purpose-built F1 track in Shanghai...

Faster track than the Australian race on park roads...

* Free Practice 2:  2am EDT Thu night-Fri morning

* Qualifying:  3am EDT Fri night-Sat morning; Replay 11:30p Sat night

* Race:  1am EDT Sat night-Sun morning; 

All on NBCSN... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

#91 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Fernando Alonso skipping Monaco to race in the Indy 500, wow!

#92 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

F1 China - highlights (from last Sunday)

#93 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Fernando Alonso skipping Monaco to race in the Indy 500, wow!

I think this is a great thing....

IMO, Alonzo is the best of the bunch for doing this... because he's the most adaptable.... you don't hear him whining about setup, or read reports that they have to mod the car design to suit him... he just gets in the thing and becomes whoever the car requires him to be.... and then he makes it go faster than it should... nobody's better at doing that than he is....

• DuffMan likes this

#94 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

F1 Bahrain...  

#3 of 20 races

The race is on a purpose-built F1 track right on the Persian Gulf... sand on 3 sides, water on the other... any breeze puts sand all over the track....

It's a dusk race... starts in the light, ends under the lights...

Doesn't reward aero as much as the previous 2 tracks...

* Qualifying:  12:30pm EDT Sat afternoon; on NBCSN... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

* Race:  11am EDT Sun morning;   on CNBC (not NBCSN)... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

#95 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

F1 Bahrain:  The Director's Cut

#96 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:14 AM

F1 Pit Stops

Thru the decades (They include the 1950 Indy 500 because that was an F1 race during the '50's)

These days, low-2-seconds is what's considered excellent... with the occasional sub-2 stop...

Williams holds the record at 1.92 seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCYBtx6h4g

Williams is aiming for 1.6 seconds...

http://edition.cnn.c...2017/index.html

Way too much detail about exactly who does what...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmemWO4rwc

#97 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:33 AM

F1 Russia...  

#4 of 20 races

The race is on a purpose-built F1 track on the Black Sea... it wanders around the venues built for the Sochi Olympic Games... 

A long-ish track and a fast one... surface is easy on tires... so, strategy likely won't loom as large as who can do a good job of combat passing...  fast track but with sharp corners, so tuning the cars will be finding out how much downforce the drivers can live without... lots of rear ends sliding around...

* Qualifying:  8am EDT Sat moring; on CNBC (not NBCSN)... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

* Race:  8am EDT Sun morning;   on NBCSN... or stream from http://www.nbcsports.com/live 

#98 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

http://blackflag.jal...on-a-1795445508

Awesome F1 pictures taken with a 100+ year old camera!

bw2clf3q0is3oxyixeuq.jpg

#99 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Where does the Indy 500 rank as far as must see TV for you these days? 

I used to akin it to the triple crown races. I wouldn't watch horse racing all year, but watch the derby, Preakness, Belmont if it mattered. My dad and I used to always watch the Indy 500, even if we didn't watch the other indy car races. 

I really haven't seen much of the last few Indy 500s. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#100 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

Where does the Indy 500 rank as far as must see TV for you these days? 

I used to akin it to the triple crown races. I wouldn't watch horse racing all year, but watch the derby, Preakness, Belmont if it mattered. My dad and I used to always watch the Indy 500, even if we didn't watch the other indy car races. 

I really haven't seen much of the last few Indy 500s. 

Pretty low down there,  as a kid I thought it was pretty cool race but now not so much.

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=