#61 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

F1 finally back in action this past weekend at SPA.   Plenty of action/runins in this race, were they feeling antsy to get back out there after a month off?  Scariest wreck of the day involved Kevin Magnussen of Renault who was fortunate to walk away from this one relatively unscathed.

kaajfcii5zhdfoubukgy.gif

Yes that's the head restraint piece you see go flying there.

#62 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

• RShack likes this

#63 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

^^^^^^

I had no idea....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:27 PM

Sports on Earth: Pure Drive: Johnson Makes History

#65 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

Hamilton wins the last 4 races of the season but Rosberg holds on to claim his first World Championship.  I didn't get to watch much yesterday but there were some  interesting  events unfolding throughout the race.  In order to have a shot at the title Hamilton had to win, but he also needed Nico to finish lower than 3rd.  Considering how dominant Mercedes has been this year that was almost impossible.  So to give himself a chance, Hamilton deliberately slowed the pace of  the race down.  This brought Rosberg closer to the lead, but it also allowed Vettel and Verstappen a chance to close in and possibly overtake Rosberg.   It didn't payoff but it was a bold strategy and as Lewis told his Pit Crew (who was urging him to speed up) it was his only way to give him a chance to win.

#66 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Hamilton wins the last 4 races of the season but Rosberg holds on to claim his first World Championship.  I didn't get to watch much yesterday but there were some  interesting  events unfolding throughout the race.  In order to have a shot at the title Hamilton had to win, but he also needed Nico to finish lower than 3rd.  Considering how dominant Mercedes has been this year that was almost impossible.  So to give himself a chance, Hamilton deliberately slowed the pace of  the race down.  This brought Rosberg closer to the lead, but it also allowed Vettel and Verstappen a chance to close in and possibly overtake Rosberg.   It didn't payoff but it was a bold strategy and as Lewis told his Pit Crew (who was urging him to speed up) it was his only way to give him a chance to win.

IMO, Mercedes did a great job of handling this... all along, they said they want to win races and *not* micro-manage their drivers... and that's what they did.   

Lewis was going slowly (as race winners go) backing Nico up, as having Nico passed by both Vettel (Ferrari) and wunderkind Verstappen (Red Bull) while Lewis won the race was his only chance of keeping the World Drivers Championship.  There's a fair amount of BS upset about this among many fans, as if what Lewis did was somehow not good sportsmanship.  But everybody who knows racing has no problem with it.  Nico didn't have a problem with it, he would have done the same thing.  

To Mercedes' credit, they let them have at it.  Their only race-time concern was that they didn't want Lewis going so slowly that he risked the race win, and they instructed him on the radio accordingly.  They made no comment otherwise.  This resulted in Nico being stuck just a few feet behind Lewis, with both Verstappen and Vettel just a few feet behind him, just waiting for him to put a foot wrong.  All at 200+ mph.  

Bottom line: Lewis applied the pressure... and Nico refused to crack under that pressure.  

All of which is great.  Ferrari decides which of their drivers win.  Red Bull does the same thing.  McClaren has never done that, they've always let their guys race each other, and now Mercedes has done the same thing,   

Good for them.  It's good racing, it's good for racing, and it's good for F1.  

The World Drivers Champion for 2016 is Nico Rosberg... matching what his father, Keke Rosberg, did in 1982.

Nico-Rosberg-2016-F1-champion.png

ps:  You can stream the whole race... http://stream.nbcspo...m/f1/?pid=28141   (Dunno why the stream is 4 hours long, the race itself is over at about 1:45.)   You can also use their app to stream it to android and ios.

Each team has 2 cars.  While the cars have numbers, those numbers are not easy to see.  You can tell which is which by the color of the T-bar atop the car immediately behind the driver.  Both Mercedes cars are silver with green trim.  Lewis (#44) has the black T-bar, Nico (#6) has the yellow T-bar.  When the camera looks over their shoulders, Lewis has the white driving gloves, Nico has the green ones.

• DuffMan likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#67 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

And he's just announced his retirement!  Who saw that coming!?

#68 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

And he's just announced his retirement! Who saw that coming!?

Not me....

Normally, I'd chalk this up to him chilling at home with wife and baby after the grueling season-long tension of this year and expect a change of heart after he gets a chance to decompress... but with Nico, I can believe it... I don't think he needs global celebrity in the way Lewis does...

https://www.facebook.com/nicorosberg

I wonder who gets the seat?

#69 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

He had just reupped for 2 years, that's what got me. Reading his comments you can tell he gave it alot of thought. I wonder if he would have came back if he hadn't won.

Haven't heard anything about who's getting the seat but it's safe to say that will be a coveted spot.

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

He had just reupped for 2 years, that's what got me. Reading his comments you can tell he gave it alot of thought. I wonder if he would have came back if he hadn't won.

At the FIA awards ceremony he said he would not have quit without achieving his goal... he also said he did what it took, but that he's not willing to do that again... he basically had to mentally ignore his wife and kid, and he wants no more of doing that...

Haven't heard anything about who's getting the seat but it's safe to say that will be a coveted spot.

Niki Lauda said that "half the drivers... maybe more" have been in touch about it...

If I was Ricciardo, I'd jump if I could... he lost about 3 races this year due to team strategy calls... I suspect Helmut Marco is favoring Max... but Daniel out scored him anyway. Of course, the risk there is the combo of a new formula and Red Bull having Adrian Newey to design a car for it...

#71 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Scumbags

http://blackflag.jal...n-ho-1790276639

#72 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

Scumbags

http://blackflag.jal...n-ho-1790276639

There's certain kinds of not-quite-crimes for which there oughta be a "Let's take him out back and explain it to him" penalty....

#73 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

f1-lewis-hamilton-time-cover-2016-time-m

• DuffMan likes this

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Sports on Earth: 5 Things To Know for the Daytona 500

#75 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Another thing to know... since they don't call it the "Daytona 500" anymore, the DVR might miss it... it might have to be looking for "Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series from Daytona Beach"...  which is an example of, well, is it stupidity or insanity... or both?

The winner is a HAAS car... same guy who runs the only American F1 team... he does it to advertise his mega-successful machine tool company... you see him at F1 races, not NASCAR races...

Here is the 2017 HAAS F1 car... new formula means wider car, bigger tires... both of which are good things...  F1 season begins 3/24-26 in Australia... then China 2 weeks later...

haas-vf-17-941x505.jpg

• DuffMan likes this

#76 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

2017 Formula 1 calendar...

US coverage owned by NBC... most races on NBCSN, a few on NBC...  

Races are on Sunday (= wee hours of Sat night for Asian races)... qualifying on Saturday also makes for a good show...

https://www.formula1...races/2017.html

https://www.f1calend...merica-New_York

#77 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

The fat rear wheels look great!

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

The fat rear wheels look great!

Yep...

but...

For 20+ years, Mario has been saying that what F1 needs is more HP, more tire, and less aero... he says doing that will cause passing... plus, when it gets sideways in the corner, that's when you find out who can drive... given all that, the front tray seems bigger and more complex to me... which means the front end will wash out when they get right on somebody's tail and lose airflow... they made the rear wing lower and smaller, which I like...but that's not where the passing-problem comes from...

I don't care if they make the rear wing huge, just so they aren't relying on a big group of complex front winglets to keep the car glued to the road... but the front tray all the new cars look to me like the new formula ups reliance on exactly that... I will wait to see what Scarbs has to say about it... I hope he says I'm wrong about this...

#79 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

1st day of practice in the new cars at Barcelona...

* Lewis Hamilton did a lap of 1m-21.765s in the new Mercedes....

* Seb did a 1m-21.878 in his Ferrari...

* Massa came out of retirement to do a 1m-22.076 in the Williams...

* Magnusen in the Haas did 1m-22.894s...

All this during the first session when any of them got to actually drive the cars...

Last year's Barcelona pole was 1m-22.000s...  

Which means these things are gonna be a lot faster once they get'em sorted out...

m56940.jpg?w=1000

img_3815.jpg

• DuffMan likes this

#80 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

I know I've been busy, but I completely missed Daytona. As in, didn't even know it was this past weekend. Which is pretty hard since they also have the whole 2 weeks of races leading up to it. Used to be the Bud Shootout and Gatorade 125s. If they still even exist anymore. Did they market this poorly or something? I couldn't tell you what channel carried it. I even read a good article on Dale Jr in the latest ESPN mag and it didn't once cross my mind that Daytona was now.

Kinda sucks. That race, and a handful of others are worth the watch even on tv.

I guess since this happened I know where NASCAR falls on my list of priorities. Somewhere far down the list. Around the section that includes the need to watch La La Land. :)
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=