201 replies to this topic

#181 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:29 PM

I don't regret staying up to 2:30 AM to watch it.  It was a good race, and all them starts made is extra exciting.  The penalty on Sainz was BS though.

And yes F1 is a bit more spread out.  I'll miss the next race cause I'm not waking up at 6 AM on a Sunday.

#182 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:38 AM

Wish 8 cars didn’t have to wreck for Hass to get points. Crazy start and finish to the Australian race.

Also wish Hass was the underdog taking podiums and not Aston Martin. But two races in a row with a point is good for Guenther’s job security I guess. I love him on Drive to Survive. Even if he wasn’t Principal of the lone American owned team, I’d still like him the most I think.

Doesn’t look like the budget cap is doing anything for parity as Red Bull once again looks like far and away the best. Kind of boring in that regard. I can’t get into competition for 4th best.

Is the season always this spread out? It’s a month break before the next race and there’s only been 3 races. Let’s go already.

I haven't finished the Australian GP yet, but I already saw my least favorite drive won, blah.  

Unfortunately the dominance happens sometimes in F1,  and unfortunately RB still looks to be at the top.   Mercedes has improved a bit already and Aston Martin looks to be much improved this year as well whether those 2 teams or Ferrari (don't hold your breath) can challenge Red Bull remains to be seen.

In regards to the season, they always have the long summer break in August where they are off for a month.  It's kind of unusual for the long break early in the season (usually it's only 2 or 3 weeks), but on the flip side it gives the teams time to work on and implement upgrades to the team cars.

• Mike in STL likes this

#183 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 April 2023 - 07:53 AM

The China GP originally scheduled for April 16th was canceled due to Covid, so that explains the longer break.

• Mike in STL likes this

#184 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 May 2023 - 07:15 AM

This coming weekend was supposed to be the start of racing for the next 3 weeks in a row, but due to extreme flooding the Italian GP has been cancelled.

#185 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 May 2023 - 11:21 AM

Monaco this weekend!  I would love to go see this race one time!

#186 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 July 2023 - 10:18 AM

DeVries out at Alpha Tauri,  Daniel Riccardo in.   Alpha Tauri is the B team to Red Bull.  Riccardo has recently mentioned that he would like to finish his career where he started back at Red Bull. Having said that, Horner wasn't going to just give him a spot again at RB so he here we are.  This will put even more pressure on Perez who has looked very shaky for over a month.   

#187 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 09:35 AM

2 Haas and 0 Red Bulls qualify top-10? What is this, opposite day?
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#188 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 September 2023 - 09:46 AM

2 Haas and 0 Red Bulls qualify top-10? What is this, opposite day?

Good showing for them! I even was able to watch Q2 and Q3. Not a fan of Max at all so I love seeing him miss out on Q3. Ferrari's have really come on lately aa has Norris. Tomorrow's race looks wide open and for once we could get a non Red Bull win

#189 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 11:40 AM

Good showing for them! I even was able to watch Q2 and Q3. Not a fan of Max at all so I love seeing him miss out on Q3. Ferrari's have really come on lately aa has Norris. Tomorrow's race looks wide open and for once we could get a non Red Bull win

Their straight line speed is so dominant, I thought the new track dimensions would favor Red Bull even more.
@BSLMikeRandall

#190 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:24 PM

Watching George crash into the wall on the last lap was the greatest thing this season.  Carlos winning was just icing on the cake.

#191 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:29 PM

That was a very exciting race!

#192 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:41 PM

Watching George crash into the wall on the last lap was the greatest thing this season. Carlos winning was just icing on the cake.

I was drunk last night and parlayed Carlos to win with ravens +3

Winner

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#193 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:49 PM

The FIA finally granted Michael Andretti's team approval to join F1.   Looks like they could join in '25, 26 or 27.   Engines would be supplied by Renault.

#194 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 06:49 AM

Long day yesterday but I had the race recorded on the DVR and remained unspoiled so I when I finally got comfortable on the couch I could watch at leisure.  Not the most exciting race, but dang I thought that Lando was going to get his first W or Hamilton was going to snap his winless drought but it was not to be.   Feel like both of them blew their chance to win with their pit strategies, especially with Lewis staying out a lap or 2 too long on his first run.

#195 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:28 AM

Long day yesterday but I had the race recorded on the DVR and remained unspoiled so I when I finally got comfortable on the couch I could watch at leisure.  Not the most exciting race, but dang I thought that Lando was going to get his first W or Hamilton was going to snap his winless drought but it was not to be.   Feel like both of them blew their chance to win with their pit strategies, especially with Lewis staying out a lap or 2 too long on his first run.

Hamilton and LeClerc both got DQ'd for failing post-race inspections. Ends up as double points for Williams and first points for Sargent. (USA! USA!)

@BSLMikeRandall

#196 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:21 AM

F1 is in Vegas this weekend, but dang these start times are brutal!

3 am for qualifying and 1 am for the race

#197 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:36 AM

https://www.espn.co....rt?id=600026789

Not the best start to the weekend...

#198 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 03:44 PM

Felt like Vegas was a pretty entertaining race to watch. Drivers complained about the conditions but it's racing at the highest level. They drive these machines on the razors edge of control and out of control. It's not supposed to be easy. The slick conditions lent to some tricky driving and some yellow flags to keep the field together, which is what makes it enjoyable to watch. Passing in corners, not just from pressing a button on a long straight. 

Could see this being a very intense late season race when the champion hasn't been decided 2 months prior. 

My only gripe, this needs to be a daytime race. I know the thought process was the lights from the strip would be an amazing backdrop. But the even brighter lights it takes to light the track, drown out the neon. The added steel it takes to equip lights around the track take away from what you can see if it was simply fenced in. The cameras at track level, other than one spot where "The Mirage" is in the background, you wouldn't even really tell it was Vegas. Crowd is in the dark. You don't get the sense of a ton of screaming fans. 

The backdrop would be much nicer in the daytime. Like you wouldn't do Monaco at night. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#199 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 12:46 PM

Guenther is out as principal for Hass. Too bad. Love that guy. But Team Hass hasn't been competitive. Hard to be competitive in this sport it seems unless your look at 4th place as "winning". But they don't even sniff that. 

Ayao Komatsu steps into the role. Was the teams Engineering Director. Interesting they stay in house with the promotion. Maybe it's the American sports fan in me that thinks they should try to pry one of the mid-tier guys from a top brand (Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes) to bring that knowledge to Hass. But I don't know this landscape here wrt $$. Maybe the Engineering Director at Mecedes makes 10x more than what Hass can pay their Team Principal. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#200 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:48 PM

Holy cow, Hamilton to Ferrari for 2025!  That is huge, apparently he's set to replace Sainz. I wonder who Mercedes will look to target, maybe Norris or Gasley....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=