160 replies to this topic

#1 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Ray Rice coaching running backs in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Y3D 

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

NBC is getting in on the act for the 2016 Thursday Night Games.

From USA Today:

CBS will air five games early in the season, while NBC will have five late in the season in 2016 and '17 as part of the two-year agreements — increasing by two the number on traditional broadcast TV. Those will still be simulcast on NFL Network, which will also have eight exclusive matchups again.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

Pretty hilarious.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

I guess since we don't currently have a general NFL thread:

ProFootballTalk: Goodell: NFL to extend Rooney Rule to women for executive positions

@DJ_McCann

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

If I were a woman or a minority, this rule would insult me.  I would constantly think that the only reason I received an interview was my race or gender and not my qualifications.

• Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

If I were a woman or a minority, this rule would insult me.  I would constantly think that the only reason I received an interview was my race or gender and not my qualifications.

"But isn't that true?"

93230_o.gif

• Mackus likes this
@DJ_McCann

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

What's a nubian?

• DJ MC likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

That's certainly a fair way to take it, but I imagine it's even more insulting if you think you deserved to get an interview but weren't considered because you're black and/or female.

The best option would be for nobody to be even subconsciously racist or sexist, but I think it's a good thing that the NFL at least tries to do some things to help eliminate that bias at least a little bit.

• mweb08, BobPhelan and RShack like this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

I guess since we don't currently have a general NFL thread:

ProFootballTalk: Goodell: NFL to extend Rooney Rule to women for executive positions

Hours later details of Manziel continuously striking his exGF finally leak. Interesting coincidence.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

I don't disagree but they still probably need it anyway.

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

IF you were a woman or a minority, you might have a different opinion...  

Any kind of effort at affirmative action has its downside, no doubt about that... but you have to also factor in the immense weight of what we might call "legacy discrimination"... by which I mean the implicit kind that normally happens even when most people think it shouldn't...  

As a white guy, you never ran into it... so how could you know?

• mweb08 likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

IF you were a woman or a minority, you might have a different opinion...

Any kind of effort at affirmative action has its downside, no doubt about that... but you have to also factor in the immense weight of what we might call "legacy discrimination"... by which I mean the implicit kind that normally happens even when most people think it shouldn't...

As a white guy, you never ran into it... so how could you know?

There's no way I could know. And I may feel differently, you're right.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

Topical--Deadspin: The NFL Can't Stop Pandering At Women

This is very long, but it's fantastically written and makes some great points.

@DJ_McCann

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

BREAKING: Noted buffoon can't see forest through trees

@DJ_McCann

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

ProFootballTalk: NFL defers to state law, when it wants to

"We are not restricted obviously by the state laws [Goodell said on legalized marijuana]. It’s an NFL policy and we believe it’s the correct policy, for now, in the best interest of our players and the long-term health of our players."

“I don’t make that determination,” Goodell said regarding the legality of daily fantasy. “Each state makes that determination. We are obviously going to follow the law. 

@DJ_McCann

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

ProFootballTalk: NFL defers to state law, when it wants to

Right... because a player who smokes pot is gonna unfairly influence the game how?  By going slower?  Pausing to reflect on the previous play?   Waving to a friend in the stands?   Messing up a play because he's laughing too hard at something somebody said in the huddle?  Delaying the game because he's looking for a snickers?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#17 bmking24

bmking24
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

Topical--Deadspin: The NFL Can't Stop Pandering At Women

This is very long, but it's fantastically written and makes some great points.

I read this yesterday and thought it was somewhat ridiculous. I understand why it was written...but MOST women, not all women by any means, fit into a lot of what was written. I know quite a few women who make my knowledge of football seem arbitrary comparatively but most ladies I know are the type that that article is written for.
I don't think it's fair for the writers to, IMO, say the NFL thinks ALL women fit into that pink, rhinestone, glittery thong category...which is what I got from the piece.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

I read this yesterday and thought it was somewhat ridiculous. I understand why it was written...but MOST women, not all women by any means, fit into a lot of what was written. I know quite a few women who make my knowledge of football seem arbitrary comparatively but most ladies I know are the type that that article is written for.
I don't think it's fair for the writers to, IMO, say the NFL thinks ALL women fit into that pink, rhinestone, glittery thong category...which is what I got from the piece.

Except that I've seen it said that possibly as much as just a little under 50 percent of the existing NFL audience is women. So what they are doing is trying to draw in more female fans by playing down the actual football and playing up the parties and the fashion, which is their only direct marketing to women. And since the league has a despicable record on things like violence against women, and the breast cancer awareness stuff is known to be hypocritical and really is not that much above an outright sham, the argument that the league simply doesn't care about women is hard to argue against.

@DJ_McCann

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

http://profootballta...nce-dies-at-88/

When I used to buy Madden, the first thing I would always do is go into settings, turn off whatever crappy music EA had licensed for that year, and turn on all of the Sam Spence NFL Films music.

@DJ_McCann

#20 bmking24

bmking24
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

I understand what you are saying and I'm not disagreeing with you about the hypocrisy of some things the NFL does....But the way I guess I look at the marketing strategy is if you are a woman who knows football like the men that the NFL markets to, then you are not what they are going after, as, again IMO, what works for the men will also work for the big time woman fans. An NFL fan is an NFL fan no matter their gender. To me it seems they may be trying to get women like my fiancee, who likes the pink jerseys etc , who was a cheerleader in high school or whatever but didn't know much about football and just needed an "in". Which may be a pink jersey that she gets and then wants to learn more about the sport to become a bigger fan that the normal marketing accounts for. Please let me know if that makes sense at least! I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards women or anything like that, I'm just trying to say how I see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=