75 replies to this topic

#41 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Is it me, or is Cuba Gooding Jr. one of the worst fucking actors I've ever seen?!  He is absolutely TERRIBLE as OJ...In fact, his only real good role was in a Tom Cruise film, and he wasn't even that good in that honestly...He was pretty good in Radio also, but he had Ed Harris carrying his ass.  

He doesn't LOOK like OJ, he can't act like OJ, and is almost a parody of him.

No, it's not just you. He was good as Rod Tidwell though. But he has zero range as an actor. He doesn't remind me of OJ at all.

@BSLMikeRandall

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Ironically, the casting had been excellent for everyone EXCEPT for OJ. I guess they wanted a name for OJ but I have to believe there's an actor out there, known or unknown, that looks more like him. I think Gooding is nailing the mindset of Simpson though. He's not doing that bad a job, just looks nothing like him.

Loving the show so far though. Should win a ton of awards.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

They had Malcolm-Jamal Warner playing Al Cowlings... he might have made a better OJ.

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Is it me, or is Cuba Gooding Jr. one of the worst fucking actors I've ever seen?!  He is absolutely TERRIBLE as OJ...In fact, his only real good role was in a Tom Cruise film, and he wasn't even that good in that honestly...He was pretty good in Radio also, but he had Ed Harris carrying his ass.  

He doesn't LOOK like OJ, he can't act like OJ, and is almost a parody of him.

One argument I've seen made is that Gooding's vocals and mannerisms are accentuating Simpson's whiny-ness and childishness, though whether that's a choice or just his natural style is debatable.

@DJ_McCann

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

So apparently there's a story on TMZ about a knife that was found on OJ's property around 1998...handed over to a cop who kept it for years and recently gave it back to police to be examined for blood...not that they can convict OJ if it does turn out to have Brown and Goldman's blood on it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

So apparently there's a story on TMZ about a knife that was found on OJ's property around 1998...handed over to a cop who kept it for years and recently gave it back to police to be examined for blood...not that they can convict OJ if it does turn out to have Brown and Goldman's blood on it.

http://www.tmz.com/2...s-nicole-brown/

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Ha!

QAAiFzj.png

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, The Epic and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Last night was the "Should I cut my bangs? I SWEAR TO GOD I'LL CUT MY BANGS!" episode :D

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Vanity Fair: The People v. O.J. Simpson Recap: Fact-Checking Episode 7
http://www.vanityfai...episode-7-recap

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Didn't watch the finale yet. No spoilers please.
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Didn't watch the finale yet. No spoilers please.

Death penalty.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

I only recently watched this series when it was released on Netflix.  Man, I loved it.  Thought it was great.  Especially once it got into the trial, as I think they really made the two teams of attorneys the stars of the show.

Agree with those saying Cuba was a bad choice for OJ.  And I thought Travolta, who I usually like, was terrible.  But all of the other acting was fantastic, particularly the actors playing Johnnie, Darden, and Marcia (they all got Emmy noms, right?  totally deserving).  Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian was good as well, really liked how they used him to show a long-time friend going from staunch believer to horrifyingly realizing that he did it.  And god damn, what an insane spectacle this whole thing was.  I thought I had remembered how crazy it was back when it happened when I was like 12 years old or so, but it really was such a monumental shitshow of a circus. 

Need to watch the ESPN doc next.

• BobPhelan likes this

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Need to watch the ESPN doc next.

That's even better.

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Never even got to the trial with this one. Forced myself through the first two episodes and was done. The 5 part ESPN doc was excellent. Watched all 5 parts in two days.

#55 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

I watched the documentary over two days too.

Mackus- you're going to love it.

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Just finished watching this. Thought this was good.

It is amazing how quickly the jury came to a decision.

The reality is though, if you can't sit there and say that it was proven 100%, you can't convict someone. So, if that's how you feel, I can understand why the verdict can come so quickly.

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

The reality is though, if you can't sit there and say that it was proven 100%, you can't convict someone. So, if that's how you feel, I can understand why the verdict can come so quickly.

Not to mention how much of their lives were taken away... and just how much that impacted their life with the sequestering and what not. I definitely didn't realize just how much of an impact that has on jurors. *Knocks on wood as I type this*

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

I agree. Move that trial outside of LA and any other jury convicts him.

But the jury was played masterfully by the defense. Blowing up Mark Furhrman on the stand, the glove, and missteps by the prosecution brought the jury over to OJ's side.

Plus, as the show and the doco show, much of the verdict was motivated from the riots and the police violence that had occurred in LA for decades.

#59 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

I'm old enough that I was working downtown during the trial.  When we heard the verdict was coming out, a bunch of us from work us went over to Bennigan's, which I guess is now Luckie's Tavern in what eventually became Power Plant Live.  But this was 1994, before PPL and Port Discovery, so Bennigan's was pretty much the only public place in that part of the Inner Harbor with a TV, and since there also wasn't really any internet yet, the place was pretty crowded.

I guess I knew going in that opinions were mostly divided on racial lines, but if I hadn't known, I definitely would have after the verdict.  The black people in the crowd literally were cheering and celebrating, while all of the white people looked aghast.

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

I'm old enough that I was working downtown during the trial.  When we heard the verdict was coming out, a bunch of us from work us went over to Bennigan's, which I guess is now Luckie's Tavern in what eventually became Power Plant Live.  But this was 1994, before PPL and Port Discovery, so Bennigan's was pretty much the only public place in that part of the Inner Harbor with a TV, and since there wasn't any internet yet, the place was pretty crowded.

I guess I knew going in that opinions were mostly divided on racial lines, but if I hadn't known, I definitely would have after the verdict.  The black people in the crowd literally were cheering and celebrating, while all of the white people looked aghast.

I can't get into this without getting political, so I won't.

But I will say the way people reacted to that verdict was disgusting, but completely understandable in many ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=