#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

I watched the first episode Monday, and the second on Tuesday. I'm in.

@DJ_McCann

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

Pretty good so far.

Crowbarring in the Kardashian kids every week is borderline quit-worthy, though.

• Nigel Tufnel and Mike in STL like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

I watched the first episode Monday, and the second on Tuesday. I'm in.

That's entire show is one of my favorite stand up performances ever. When he's telling the story about visiting the White House and doing the Bush impression for Bush. When he impersonates different musicians styles. Funny as hell.

• Mackus and DJ MC like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Second episode was better. Seems to be finding its tone.

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

That's entire show is one of my favorite stand up performances ever. When he's telling the story about visiting the White House and doing the Bush impression for Bush. When he impersonates different musicians styles. Funny as hell.

I agree completely.

@DJ_McCann

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

"Johnnie Cochrane...motherfucker."

And I thought Tina Fey did the best possible version of Marcia Clark.

@DJ_McCann

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

"Johnnie Cochrane...motherfucker."

And I thought Tina Fey did the best possible version of Marcia Clark.

I just watched the latest episode. How did they get away with saying that on FX? I remember on Breaking bad they would get to say it once a year, and they would mute it. No mute here though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

The Kardashian kids stuff is becoming more and more outrageous. They even worked in a Bruce Jenner reference too.

Unbelievable.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

The Kardashian kids stuff is becoming more and more outrageous. They even worked in a Bruce Jenner reference too.

Unbelievable.

I think you need the persons consent to portray them, right? Which is why a lot of times in these things names might be changed? Like in Moneyball, Paul DePodesta goes by Pete...something. Since Robert is dead, they probably had to get the kids consent. And those brats probably negotiated that they get a ton of money, because you can't tell the story this big with fake names, and that they get ample screen time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Oh yeah, and Roberts little speech to the kids....in one ear and out the other.
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

I think you need the persons consent to portray them, right? Which is why a lot of times in these things names might be changed? Like in Moneyball, Paul DePodesta goes by Pete...something. Since Robert is dead, they probably had to get the kids consent. And those brats probably negotiated that they get a ton of money, because you can't tell the story this big with fake names, and that they get ample screen time.

I dont think thats the case.

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

I dont think thats the case.

Maybe not. I don't know. I thought there was a reason that at the end of movies they put that disclaimer about not using likeness without consent, etc... Like if wanted to write a movie about you, I'd probably have to ask you first? Right? I don't know?
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Unbelievable.

It's a bit over the top, but it's also documenting the change in culture from that time... and how in many ways the OJ trial was the first big 'reality' show (yeah, know Real World already existed)... and links to today with the Kardashians obviously.

• BobPhelan likes this

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

It's a bit over the top, but it's also documenting the change in culture from that time... and how in many ways the OJ trial was the first big 'reality' show (yeah, know Real World already existed)... and links to today with the Kardashians obviously.

Right. They're there not only because they are a direct link to the period through their father, but because the OJ trial was the beginning of the current "fame for fame's sake" type of celebrity that this family is. If they weren't involved in the case at all and were just there as some form of "average American family reacts to and learns lessons from the trial", I'd see why people are getting upset. However, for the type of story that is being told, they are quite essential to the narrative.

@DJ_McCann

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Maybe not. I don't know. I thought there was a reason that at the end of movies they put that disclaimer about not using likeness without consent, etc... Like if wanted to write a movie about you, I'd probably have to ask you first? Right? I don't know?

Depends on whether you're considered to be a public figure....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

That's just so that if you happen to have the same name as a character you can't sue over the portrayal. Say you're actually named Hans Gruber, you can't ask for a piece of the Die Hard residuals for using you name.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

Really does take you right back.  Even knowing the outcome, it's still compelling.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

Really does take you right back.  Even knowing the outcome, it's still compelling.

Really. Courtney B. Vance as Johnny Cochran is so good. I even like Travolta as Shapiro, even if I've seen a bunch of criticism about his portrayal.

@DJ_McCann

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:40 AM

I was thinking tonight about the fact that this is an anthology series, so it'll likely be coming back telling other, similar stories. I wonder if they'll go the Fargo route and find a connection with one of the characters: say, F. Lee Bailey and either the Sam Shepard or Patty Hearst cases, since they've been mentioned multiple times so far.

@DJ_McCann

#40 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,806 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

Is it me, or is Cuba Gooding Jr. one of the worst fucking actors I've ever seen?!  He is absolutely TERRIBLE as OJ...In fact, his only real good role was in a Tom Cruise film, and he wasn't even that good in that honestly...He was pretty good in Radio also, but he had Ed Harris carrying his ass.  

He doesn't LOOK like OJ, he can't act like OJ, and is almost a parody of him.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=