Photo

ESPN: Bradshaw, Montana or Brady: Who's the best QB in Super Bowl history?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

ESPN: Bradshaw, Montana or Brady: Who's the best QB in Super Bowl history?

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Went to bar trivia tonight. Killed it. Only 3 of us and we got second place, losing to a team of 9 gray beards who always win.

Anyway, one of the questions was what six quarterbacks have thrown four or more TDs in a Super Bowl game.

Needed 5 of 6 for credit. Nailed it.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

Went to bar trivia tonight. Killed it. Only 3 of us and we got second place, losing to a team of 9 gray beards who always win.

Anyway, one of the questions was what six quarterbacks have thrown four or more TDs in a Super Bowl game.

Needed 5 of 6 for credit. Nailed it.

I miss bar trivia. Our team disbanded.

Anyway, good job by you Pedro.

#4 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

I swear, Wayne The Brain McClain always wins those things.

• mweb08 likes this

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

I swear, Wayne The Brain McClain always wins those things.

Fantastic reference! 

• The Epic likes this

#6 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Bradshaw isn't even in the convo.  HE had more picks than TDs.  He should not even be in the HOF.  Montana I think was all system.  I have to go Brady.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

It's between Brady or Montana for sure, and honestly, I could go either way.

Montana, however, has thrown 11 TD and no picks in 4 appearances.

Brady has thrown 13 TD and 4 INT in 6.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

And Brady has never had the talent around him that Montana had.  After reading what Bill Walsh had accomplished with even bad QBs as a coach it lowers my opinion of Montana.

#9 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

And Brady has never had the talent around him that Montana had.  After reading what Bill Walsh had accomplished with even bad QBs as a coach it lowers my opinion of Montana.

Wow that is just crazy talk to minimize Joe Montana who is still considered by most to be the greatest QB in NFL history.  Yes, he had Jerry Rice but can you name anyone else he had that was any better than what Tom Brady has had?  He certainly hasn't had a Gronk.  His best TE was Dwight Clark and his second WR was John Taylor, with his best RB being a FB in Roger Craig.  All 3 were good players but none went on to have any success after leaving Montana.  Anyone who watched SB XXIII and that final 92 yard drive and game winning TD to Taylor with 34 seconds left knows what type of QB he was.  So the man had a HOF head coach and WR...kinda reminds you of Brady huh? I would also remind you that Montana played in an era when the defense could really attack the offense in all facets and Montana was crushed throughout his career yet still put up the amazing numbers he did.  He wasn't like Lady Brady crying for ever call whenever a player gets near him.  

My suggestion is don't diminish the man based upon nonsense.

• Mike in STL likes this

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

It's pretty normal for people to think the great player they saw play is better than the great player they didn't... it happens all the time...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

I think there's definitely more similarities between the teams built around Montana and Brady than there are differences. And the lack of stars on the Patriots says more to me about the ability of Belichick and his staff to scout, develop and coach to find talent in all kinds of places and use it effectively, with Brady as the pillar to build around.

@DJ_McCann

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

And Brady has never had the talent around him that Montana had. After reading what Bill Walsh had accomplished with even bad QBs as a coach it lowers my opinion of Montana.

Brady has had some great talent in the past.

And btw, Montana played in an era where you were allowed to you know...play football.

#13 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Wow that is just crazy talk to minimize Joe Montana who is still considered by most to be the greatest QB in NFL history.  Yes, he had Jerry Rice but can you name anyone else he had that was any better than what Tom Brady has had?  He certainly hasn't had a Gronk.  His best TE was Dwight Clark and his second WR was John Taylor, with his best RB being a FB in Roger Craig.  All 3 were good players but none went on to have any success after leaving Montana.  Anyone who watched SB XXIII and that final 92 yard drive and game winning TD to Taylor with 34 seconds left knows what type of QB he was.  So the man had a HOF head coach and WR...kinda reminds you of Brady huh? I would also remind you that Montana played in an era when the defense could really attach the offense in all facets and Montana was crushed throughout his career yet still put up the amazing numbers he did.  He wasn't like Lady Brady crying for ever call whenever a player gets near him.  

My suggestion is don't diminish the man based upon nonsense.

So who after leaving Brady has been good?  BRanch, Stallworth, and many other turned to rap.  Where is Brady's HOF WR other than Moss who was picked up off the trash heap by Bill?  Read Blind Side.  It is eye openning what Walsh could do with about no talent.

Brady has had some great talent in the past.

And btw, Montana played in an era where you were allowed to you know...play football.

Brady ot his first 3 rings in that era.

I think there's definitely more similarities between the teams built around Montana and Brady than there are differences. And the lack of stars on the Patriots says more to me about the ability of Belichick and his staff to scout, develop and coach to find talent in all kinds of places and use it effectively, with Brady as the pillar to build around.

I think it is about Brady making guys look much better than they really are.  Amadolla was OK in StL but with Brady he is a really solid #2 WR as long as he is healthy.

#14 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

It's pretty normal for people to think the great player they saw play is better than the great player they didn't... it happens all the time...

I am 39 so I watched Montana.  I give him credit by what he did with KC alone.  He and Allen turned a horrible Chiefs into a monster.  Honestly Young was better as a QB.  Had he been in SF instead of Montana from the early days he would have had as many SBs and probably more.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

I think it is about Brady making guys look much better than they really are.  Amadolla was OK in StL but with Brady he is a really solid #2 WR as long as he is healthy.

As opposed to Montana making guys look much better than they really are?

@DJ_McCann

#16 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

You should see QBs before and after Walsh became their OC.  It is startling how much better they got under the WCO.  

#17 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

So who after leaving Brady has been good?  BRanch, Stallworth, and many other turned to rap.  Where is Brady's HOF WR other than Moss who was picked up off the trash heap by Bill?  Read Blind Side.  It is eye openning what Walsh could do with about no talent.

[ ... ]

Wait a sec... re: Montana, you're saying he looked good because of how Walsh can make non-stars over-perform... but then you say the NE non-stars look better because of Brady.  

Why?   'You could just as well say the exact reverse of that: SF players looked better because of Montana, while Brady looks good because of how Belichick makes non-stars over-perform. 

Both versions are arbitrarily one-sided.... better to say that Walsh and Montana combined to help others look good, and Belichick and Brady do it too.

• Mike in STL likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

You do know Brady is essentially doing the same thing Montana did right? It's basically the same system.

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

You should see QBs before and after Walsh became their OC.  It is startling how much better they got under the WCO.  

Well if we should see it, why don't you show us? :P

@DJ_McCann

#20 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

Wait a sec... re: Montana, you're saying he looked good because of how Walsh can make non-stars over-perform... but then you say the NE non-stars look better because of Brady.  

Why?   'You could just as well say the exact reverse of that: SF players looked better because of Montana, while Brady looks good because of how Belichick makes non-stars over-perform. 

Both versions are arbitrarily one-sided.... better to say that Walsh and Montana combined to help others look good, and Belichick and Brady do it too.

Walsh made average and below average QBs look good.  A great QB makes average or below average skill players look good.  

You do know Brady is essentially doing the same thing Montana did right? It's basically the same system.

And he has done more with less talent than Montana did.

Well if we should see it, why don't you show us? :P

The Blind side page 106 second para, page 108 2nd para, page and 110-111 3rd-5th paragraphs.

http://www.barnesand..._clickid=3x3644
It isn't even 9 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=