10 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

Heading to the game tonight with the wife.  She wants to go out to eat.  College Park has changed a lot since my days there, and my experience with restaurants was looking for places with burgers and beer.  She wants a nicer sit down place.  Any suggestions?

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

Heading to the game tonight with the wife.  She wants to go out to eat.  College Park has changed a lot since my days there, and my experience with restaurants was looking for places with burgers and beer.  She wants a nicer sit down place.  Any suggestions?

Almost everything there is fast casual now. I can't think of a single nicer sit down place. Sports bars, Bobbys Burger Palace, Blaze Pizza...these are the kind of options you are looking at until the other side of Rt. 1 is finished where the new hotel is going, that's going to be the spot for the sit down restaurants.

@JeremyMStrain

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

I've heard that Rt 1 is still a nightmare from the blizzard, only one lane in each direction.  I'd eat elsewhere, early, and then come into CP and give yourself tons of time.

I need to swing by a liquor store and buy 3 kegs tonight to take with me skiing this weekend before heading to the game.  Usually do it in CP since they are $25+ cheaper there than elsewhere (and I'm going there anyways), but may look for alternatives if the traffic is likely to be as bad as I expect it will be.

As far as food, I don't think there are really any super nice restaurants in downtown CP.  You can do better than bar food or Chipotle, or at least get better quality bar food, but you aren't gonna find anything where you're happy to pay $30 for a plate of braised short ribs or sous vide fish or something fancy like that.  Unless something new has popped up that I'm not aware of.  My parents often go to Pasta Plus in Laurel on their way down before games (usually later ones, not enough time for dinner before a 7pm game).  It's name, appearance, and location make it seem like a typical mediocre Italian place, but it's actually very, very good and authentic.  If you're coming from south of CP, I remember enjoying Franklins Brewery in Hyattsville a couple miles south of CP down Rt 1, it was where we'd often go when parents came to visit. 

• Dr. FLK likes this

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

I've heard that Rt 1 is still a nightmare from the blizzard, only one lane in each direction.  I'd eat elsewhere, early, and then come into CP and give yourself tons of time.

I need to swing by a liquor store and buy 3 kegs tonight to take with me skiing this weekend before heading to the game.  Usually do it in CP since they are $25+ cheaper there than elsewhere (and I'm going there anyways), but may look for alternatives if the traffic is likely to be as bad as I expect it will be.

As far as food, I don't think there are really any super nice restaurants in downtown CP.  You can do better than bar food or Chipotle, or at least get better quality bar food, but you aren't gonna find anything where you're happy to pay $30 for a plate of braised short ribs or sous vide fish or something fancy like that.  Unless something new has popped up that I'm not aware of.  My parents often go to Pasta Plus in Laurel on their way down before games (usually later ones, not enough time for dinner before a 7pm game).  It's name, appearance, and location make it seem like a typical mediocre Italian place, but it's actually very, very good and authentic.  If you're coming from south of CP, I remember enjoying Franklins Brewery in Hyattsville a couple miles south of CP down Rt 1, it was where we'd often go when parents came to visit. 

Franklins is pretty spectacular, and there's a Busboys and Poets down there that isn't bad either. That whole Hyattsville area near Dematha has really been made over and has some nice spots.

Mentioning Laurel isn't a bad idea, where Laurel Mall used to be there's a new Town Center that we go to a lot, it's got a brewery, Mission BBQ, Outback, Blaze, BBW, and a couple other little spots.

Town Hall had a good deal on kegs when I was there last week, but now that the kids are back on campus and school has been closed I imagine they probably jacked things up. Try Total Wine at 198 and 295, because they deal in so much volume the prices usually aren't too shabby.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Franklin's looks pretty nice.  That might be the winner...assuming we can get going early enough.  Then I can just head over to Adelphi to University and hopefully find parking somewhere.  Would getting to Franklin's by 4:30 give me enough time to make the game?

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Franklin's looks pretty nice.  That might be the winner...assuming we can get going early enough.  Then I can just head over to Adelphi to University and hopefully find parking somewhere.  Would getting to Franklin's by 4:30 give me enough time to make the game?

Yeah I think you'd be good. Puts you done and out by 530ish, even if things are really bad down there 30 min tops to find parking.

@JeremyMStrain

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

Town Hall had a good deal on kegs when I was there last week, but now that the kids are back on campus and school has been closed I imagine they probably jacked things up. Try Total Wine at 198 and 295, because they deal in so much volume the prices usually aren't too shabby.

All of the places in CP are usually like $60-70 for a cheap keg of Natty Light or even Yuengling sometimes for the same price.  Corridor never has them for cheaper than about $100-110, unless they have Natty Light, which is never below $80-90.

I used to go there or to the one in Laurel when I only needed one, either for a small party or when I had a kegerator.  The savings on one aren't worth the extra hassle of getting to CP and then returning the keg in CP.  But when buying multiple, I find it's worth it.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I think that will work out well for you.

I always park on one of the avenues (preferably 38th) off of Metzerott.  Worrying that they may still be snow-covered and make parking tough tonight, though.

#9 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I think that will work out well for you.

I always park on one of the avenues (preferably 38th) off of Metzerott.  Worrying that they may still be snow-covered and make parking tough tonight, though.

With a pregnant wife...I may look to minimize some walking...

#10 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the recommendations guys.  Franklins was a very cool place.

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

A wee bit of a surprise to look in the "Travel" section... and see a thread for College Park   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=