#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

I came away from last nights game super impressed with Clemson.  Watson is terrific, and the whole team played with tremendous heart last night, .games like that, hurt like hell short term, but I think may provide energy to build off for the next season.  Alabama and Ohio State will re-load, and ND should be better.  

Did not see Maryland in the Top 20...must have been an oversight.

@mikeghg

#4 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

After the way that the loss to Bama happened, next year Clemson's gonna have a pissed-off underdog mentality with overdog talent....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

SB Nation: If you're sad about college football being over, just look at how awesome 2016's Week 1 is

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

SB Nation: If you're sad about college football being over, just look at how awesome 2016's Week 1 is

This is also the year that Tennessee plays Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway. That's a Week 2 matchup, but it'll be the biggest college football game ever (160,000+ fans). Sight-lines are going to suck (the nosebleeds at Neyland are actually closer to the field than the best possible seats at Bristol). But it'll be an awesome and unique setting.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

This is also the year that Tennessee plays Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway. That's a Week 2 matchup, but it'll be the biggest college football game ever (160,000+ fans). Sight-lines are going to suck (the nosebleeds at Neyland are actually closer to the field than the best possible seats at Bristol). But it'll be an awesome and unique setting.

I guess they will need special lenses for the TV cameras in that one.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Sports on Earth: CFB's Rising and Falling Teams

http://www.sportsone...ling-teams-2016

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Federal lawsuit accuses Vols of ‘deliberate indifference’ toward sex assaults by football players

Lawsuit: Vols player put ‘hit’ on UT teammate who helped rape victim

@DJ_McCann

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Louisiana governor: College football in jeopardy in midst of budget crisis

Hopefully we can dance around the political aspect of this to discuss it from a football point of view. The only thing I'll say about the politics is that I'm fairly sure it's much more of a threat than a promise.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

Louisiana governor: College football in jeopardy in midst of budget crisis

Hopefully we can dance around the political aspect of this to discuss it from a football point of view. The only thing I'll say about the politics is that I'm fairly sure it's much more of a threat than a promise.

It's a ridiculous empty threat which is going to only hurt that Governor going forward.  If LSU isn't playing football in the Fall, I'll consider closing down this site.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

It's a ridiculous empty threat which is going to only hurt that Governor going forward.  If LSU isn't playing football in the Fall, I'll consider closing down this site.

Yeah, which is why I thought about not even bothering to post it. It would be career suicide for any politician to be associated with the cancelling of college football in the South. And even moreso considering LSU will enter the season with pretty lofty expectations. They'll figure something out, even if it's just a temporary plug that only pushes the need for a real solution farther into the future.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

After reading what he said, it doesn't sound like a threat, but more of an example of the issues about which he's talking. If the colleges don't receive their funding, they'll have to shut down, which means nobody would get credit for the classes they were taking, which means that athletes could end up academically ineligible under NCAA rules. Now, my guess is that the NCAA wouldn't allow this to happen, since it's a pretty extraordinary circumstance that has nothing to do with the spirit of the eligibility rules (although it is the NCAA, and I've learned to never underestimate the stupidity and lack of basic human decency that originates from Indianapolis) but he's not actually saying, "Give us this money or Mike the Tiger gets it."

@DJ_McCann

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

He may not have explicitly stated it as a threat. But you can bet that of all the potential consequences of the funding issue, for him to specifically single out college football season was meant to get the constituents to put pressure on their representatives in the legislature to ensure that this does not happen....so at the least it was an act of political gamesmanship.

And while you are correct that there will be a lot of parties outside Louisiana with a vested interest (NCAA, SEC, TV networks), I don't think any of them will do much aside from maybe some public cajoling for the state to get its act together.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

He may not have explicitly stated it as a threat. But you can bet that of all the potential consequences of the funding issue, for him to specifically single out college football season was meant to get the constituents to put pressure on their representatives in the legislature to ensure that this does not happen....so at the least it was an act of political gamesmanship.

And while you are correct that there will be a lot of parties outside Louisiana with a vested interest (NCAA, SEC, TV networks), I don't think any of them will do much aside from maybe some public cajoling for the state to get its act together.

Yeah, that's really what I was getting at. It's exaggerating the likely outcome to make the point of how serious the money problem is.

In terms of the "outside interests" I was really just referring to the specific issue of eligibility within the NCAA rules. It would be interesting to see what would happen, though, if the state itself can't get things together. Certainly there are some wealthy boosters who might throw some cash at the school in general to keep it open, beyond just the football team. Would the SEC step in?

@DJ_McCann

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, that's really what I was getting at. It's exaggerating the likely outcome to make the point of how serious the money problem is.

In terms of the "outside interests" I was really just referring to the specific issue of eligibility within the NCAA rules. It would be interesting to see what would happen, though, if the state itself can't get things together. Certainly there are some wealthy boosters who might throw some cash at the school in general to keep it open, beyond just the football team. Would the SEC step in?

I can't imagine boosters or the SEC stepping in to essentially bail out the state government in order to keep the lights on at LSU, even if it's just a loan. It would be interesting to know if any conference has a contingency plan for something like this. They might have made one thinking a natural disaster would be the reason they'd have to step in and help, but probably not state politics.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Sports on Earth: Spring Forward: 20 New CFB Stories

http://www.sportsone...tice-storylines

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

Sports on Earth: CFB's Most Important QB Competitions
http://www.sportsone...ck-competitions

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

ESPN.com: NCAA approves three-year halt to new bowl games

The moratorium will not allow any new bowl games until after the 2019 regular season.

Weber's response:

giphy.gif

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

CollegeFootballTalk: NCAA rules won’t allow Marcus Lattimore to hold official staff position at South Carolina

The NCAA has stated that Lattimore cannot join Will Muschamp’s staff at USC due to Lattimore’s status as a former player and his presence through football camps and foundation. The NCAA considers it an unfair recruiting advantage.

Face, consider yourself palmed.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=