#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

Never too early to start looking at the 2017 class. No commitments yet, but plenty of offers.

Testudo Times: Maryland offers 3-star class of 2017 QB Taylor Powell

http://www.testudoti...b-taylor-powell

Powell is a 3-star pro-style QB prospect, and the 2nd-best player in the state of Arkansas. He hasn't received much interest as of yet, but one of his only two offers is by Arkansas State, so Walt Bell certainly has a relationship there. He wouldn't be a guy to run a bunch of option plays with, but he's agile in the pocket and mobile enough to execute bootlegs and sprintouts.

He's the second QB that the Terps have offered in the 2017 class, joining 4-star pro-style QB Jack Coan from New York. Coan is the 2nd-best player in the state of New York, and possesses a number of offers from Power 5 schools, including Indiana, Miami (FL), Michigan, Northwestern, and West Virginia. Like Powell, he isn't a guy who can run a bunch of option plays, but is mobile in the pocket (official 4.8 40 time).

The Terps have offered a whopping 17 players from the state of Florida, an area that Randy Edsall was working hard, and one that DJ Durkin can certainly take advantage of.

• Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Good Stuff...nice to see Durkin hire coaches who can either start or enhance new areas for recruiting.   i would imagine they  will bring in at least one QB per year and maybe early on, multiple kids.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

Prospects:
Anthony McFarland, RB, DeMatha, 4*
Deon Jones, CB, Archbishop Carroll, 4*
Joshua Kalndoh, DE, IMG Academy (FL), 5*
Marcus Minor, OG, DeMatha, 4*
Jordan Anthony, OLB, IMG Academy (FL), 4*
Chase Young, DE, DeMatha, 4*
Tyshon Fogg, OLB, Calvert Hall, 4*
Cam Spence, DT, IMG Academy (FL), 4*
Jordan McNair, OT, McDonough, 4*
Tahj Capehart, WR, Ocean Lakes (VA), 4*
Robert Halnsey, OT, IMG Academy (FL), 4*
Tre McKitty, TE, IMG Academy (FL), 3*
Ellijah Conllffe, DE, Hampton (VA), 3*
Marco Wilson, CB, American Heritage (FL), 4*
Joshua Paschal, DE, Good Counsel, 4*

Kaslm Hill, QB, Gilman, 4*
Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Good Counsel, 4*
Tayon Fleet-Davis, RB, Potomac, 3*
Ayinde Eley, LB, Good Counsel, 3*
Travis Levy, RB, Sherwood, 3*
Cameron Sullivan-Brown, WR, St. Vincent Pallotti, 3*
Lawtez Rogers, DE,  Eleanor Roosevelt, 3*
B'Ahmad Miller, DE, Eastern Christian Academy, 3*
Jaylen Twyman, DT, H.D. Woodson, 3*

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Hopefully they can get some early commits on the board here.

DeMatha, and Good Counsel remain the local keys... would like to see the Baltimore guys on-board (at-least Fogg, and McNair...but also Hill if he looks like a fit system wise).

#5 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hopefully they can get some early commits on the board here.

DeMatha, and Good Counsel remain the local keys... would like to see the Baltimore guys on-board (at-least Fogg, and McNair...but also Hill if he looks like a fit system wise).

Let's just see how the staff does this year and we'll see where it goes from there.   Early commitments are just words.    I realize that there was change, but I doubt that Haskins comes here even if Edsall and Locksley were both still here.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Let's just see how the staff does this year and we'll see where it goes from there.   Early commitments are just words.    I realize that there was change, but I doubt that Haskins comes here even if Edsall and Locksley were both still here.

Don't really want to get another thread that goes into Edsall / Locks / Haskins... but if Locks stayed, I believe Haskins would have.

Oh well, it's over.. so, either way we move on.

Agree completely about verbals meaning very little...   where I think it can have value for a school like MD is if you have some early success, you have a chance to build a larger class when guys see other talent interested... but there are still a million things which have to happen to get over the final crossing lines and get those players on campus.

• clapdiddy likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football offers 4-star Pennsylvania WR Mark Webb

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

Oregon State QB Seth Collins is transferring out of Corvallis. Wouldn't be eligible immediately, but could play in 2017. Had a very inconsistent 2015 season, but also had some electrifying moments. Was a 3-star dual threat QB coming out of HS in California.

@BSLZackKiesel

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

Collins was at his best when he played positions other than QB. Good runner, terrible thrower.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

InsideMDSports: Former Terps RB Jacquille Veii Transferring Back from Towson

http://247sports.com...Towson-43154297

He'll sit out a year. Good news for Durkin, he's basically a more experienced version of Ty Johnson.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 AndrewFeather

AndrewFeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

BSL: 2017 Recruiting Update: Storylines and Prospects to Watch

http://baltimorespor...rospects-watch/

With the recruiting in the class of 2016 pretty much wrapped up, we take a look at the storylines that will impact Maryland in the class of 2017 and take a look at some local prospects the Terps need to keep home.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe and BSLZackKiesel like this

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Nice article Andrew.

Sets things up with the class well.

You mentioned two of the Baltimore guys... Hill, and McNair...  how a bout Tyshon Fogg, OLB, Calvert Hall?

I think it will be imperative for MD to get some help on the D-line in this class. You mentioned Chase Young... that would be awesome.

Thoughts on these guys?:
Joshua Paschal, DE, Good Counsel
Lawtez Rogers, DE,  Eleanor Roosevelt
B'Ahmad Miller, DE, Eastern Christian Academy
&
Jaylen Twyman, DT, H.D. Woodson

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

Any more word on where Biff Poggi will end up? Sounded like he didn't have much interest in either the MD or Michigan offers, and the MD job may have been filled by the guy from Ohio now anyway. I read somewhere that he could end up at St Frances Academy, and if that were to happen a lot of his former Gilman players could transfer. Probably wouldn't impact recruiting them much....it's about the relationship with the players/HS coaches more than where exactly they play, but worth noting nonetheless.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

Any more word on where Biff Poggi will end up? Sounded like he didn't have much interest in either the MD or Michigan offers at this time. I read somewhere that he could end up at St Frances Academy, and if that were to happen a lot of his former Gilman players could transfer. Probably wouldn't impact recruiting them much....it's about the relationship with the players/HS coaches more than where exactly they play, but worth noting nonetheless.

His staff has gone to St. Frances...  and he posted to his former Gilman players on Facebook he wanted them to transfer there...

http://postimg.org/image/ghg9t2cfz/

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

His staff has gone to St. Frances...  and he posted to his former Gilman players on Facebook he wanted them to transfer there...

http://postimg.org/image/ghg9t2cfz/

Well that's flat-out persuasive....didn't pull any punches there.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Just watched some tape on Mack, and I'm really impressed. I see a guy with a great frame, able to stand tall in the pocket. Good in the face of pressure, evades the rush well. Even though he can run, he's a pass-first guy. Goes through his progressions well, and steps into his throws.

I like Hill as well, for a lot of the same reasons. Would be big to pick up one of these guys.

@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

Kasim Hill has transferred from Gilman to St. John's in DC.  Apparently wants to decide before his Sr. season begins.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Seems like HS football is going the way of HS basketball, with a lot of the best players leaving their home areas to play their final year or two elsewhere. While we may not see it on the same scale as basketball, it does somewhat diminish the importance of locking down the high schools in your territory and emphasizes building relationships elsewhere. Hence the importance of making connections at IMG in Florida, which seems to have attracted a lot of players from MD recently....you just sell them on the idea of "coming home" instead of "staying home."

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if the rumors of Biff Poggi's Saint Francis Academy in Baltimore trying to become another IMG are true? If so, it "could" impact UMD positively.

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

I wonder if the rumors of Biff Poggi's Saint Francis Academy in Baltimore trying to become another IMG are true? If so, it "could" impact UMD positively.

I read somewhere that IMG is a for-profit operation, and 4 years of tuition/boarding costs in the neighborhood of $80,000. Of course I'm sure many of their athletes get scholarships. I know it used to be strictly a place that cranked out tennis players, but expanded into other sports. Anyway, SFA is obviously in a different category, with different rules.

I'd be curious to know what it was Poggi felt he wasn't receiving from Gilman....and more to the point, what he is getting at SFA and how much of his urging kids to transfer there is for his own self-interests versus what might be best for them.

• Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=