Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

BSL: Crash Course on D.J. Durkin

http://baltimorespor...rse-d-j-durkin/

In this article, I quickly look at Maryland's newest head football coach, and what he brings to the table for the Terrapins.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe, Icterus galbula and 1 other like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

InsideMDSports reporting that Durkin and Locksley will be meeting tomorrow, and that they have offered Locksley a significant pay raise to stay on the staff.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

InsideMDSports reporting that Durkin and Locksley will be meeting tomorrow, and that they have offered Locksley a significant pay raise to stay on the staff.

Durkin's first recruiting challenge....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

Good call Stoner. Seems like the right move.

#5 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

If Durkin is as good of a recruiter as they say, and Locksley can maintain his mojo in the DMV, Maryland could attract some serious talent.   

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

This would be cool, whether they keep Locksley or not. (via WaPo)

A source said Wednesday that another Southeastern Conference assistant, Alabama assistant director of player personnel Aazar Abdul-Rahim, is also interested in joining Durkin’s staff in some capacity. Abdul-Rahim, who turned Friendship Collegiate Academy into a Washington area high school powerhouse as head coach at the District charter school, is considered a prolific recruiter and has a number of former players on Maryland’s  roster.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Good call Stoner. Seems like the right move.

Meh... the IMS report is that Locks lobbied hard for the job, and despite Anderson spending the week trying to get him to stay, Locks doesn't want to serve under a 4th HC at MD without getting the job.

That would suck... but that's his choice if he decides that. All I wanted to see was MD make an effort to retain him, including offering him more cash.

Contact I had said that was what it would take, and that he wanted to stay.

So those - Weber, Nickle, DJ, etc - that said his ego would be bruised... apparently they were correct, and I and my contact were wrong.

Hopefully Durkin can do a good sell job tomorrow, and get Locks to stay... but if he leaves, he leaves... certainly would be a blow to the current class though.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

His ego being bruised was a complete no brainer unless he was at least allowed to remain the offensive coordinator (not in name only either).

The relevant questions are how loyal is he to Maryland, how much are they willing to pay him, can the new coach/KA soften the ego blow, and what are his other options.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Added comments from a couple of Analysts / Writers on the hire to Zack's article.

Luginbill with glowing comments on Milanovich as a potential OC.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

Every time I see his last name, I read it as Dunkin

#stay hungry

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Saw a poster say this at TT...

"Auburn 24/7 affiliate is reporting Durkin wants Travaris Robinson to run is defense ... "

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Saw a poster say this at TT...

"Auburn 24/7 affiliate is reporting Durkin wants Travaris Robinson to run is defense ... "

Makes sense. Don't know how good a recruiter he is but his lifelong ties to the South, and particularly Fla, sound good.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

I don't want to slap Edsall further.... but night and day difference in Durkin's public speaking ability. Huge upgrade there. Not a surprise he recruits well.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Seemed a little nervous at first, but understandable being the first time he's probably ever faced the media like this (I doubt there was nearly this much pressure being an interim for just a bowl game). Got more comfortable as it went on. You can definitely feel his enthusiasm. Look forward to seeing his staff.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

My other takeaway from the Press Conference...there are a lot of people w credentials who've done far less covering MD than @BSLZackKiesel .

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

I would like to say that this seems like a decent hire, but I feel as if I've lost the right to speak after being so wrong about the last one :)

In seriousness, you never really know with these green guys.  Low floor, high ceiling I think.  Certainly seems knowledgeable - I liked his answer about running things on offense that he doesn't like to see on defense.  

We'll see.  A fresh start is good though.  Sounds more and more like Locksley is gone, which likely means some recruits as well, but hopefully the new staff can help pick up the slack.

#19 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

I think Durkin is a good hire and obviously has good pedigree. He seems like a high achiever and I think that he'll do well at MD and elevate us a bit, and then likely leave for a better gig. He seems like the kind of guy that's destined to coach at a Florida, Michigan, etc.

Not saying that's a bad thing. I've said all along that if a coach leaves for a better gig it's a good thing because it means he's having relative success. I'm just not sold on this being the best route to go when you had guys like Richt, Mullen, etc who would have come here and been a more long-term answer. 

But night and day compared to Edsall. It's amazing to me that Edsall got any recruits to play for him. Durkin is the real deal IMO - he has that unspoken confidence and quality that is evident in people who move up in any business situation, not just coaching. But I would have preferred a more stable, long-term option.

@PeterDiLutis

#20 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

I'm also totally done with Kevin Anderson. The guy is a horrific public speaker and once again he had to backtrack today when asked about his high powered, exciting offense speech in October.

Had he not said that, people would be much more excited about Durkin. People would have been much more excited about Turgeon if not for the Sean Miller talk. It's just insane how bad he is. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=