#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thought a new thread might help...

Previous BSL articles on the Coaching search:
Updating MD's HC Search (Dan Mullen, Bill O'Brien, Pep Hamilton, Everett Withers, DJ Durkin)
4 More Potential Head Coaches (Justin Fuente, Mike Norvell, Lincoln Riley, and Dino Babers)
Learning More About Prospective MD Head Coaches (Scott Frost, PJ Fleck, Phillip Montgomery, and Matt Campbell)
Who Should be MD’s Next HC? (Comments from writers with ESPN, FOX Sports, Athlon, CBS Sports, Landry Football)

Fuente has joined Virginia Tech, Matt Campbell has joined Iowa State.

The Mullen talk which was hot last week has cooled. Prior to Richt being dismissed at Georgia, the Durkin rumors were only rising.

CBS Sports: Could Mark Richt end up at Maryland? Reportedly talking with Terps
http://www.cbssports...ortedly-talking

Solomon: Richt didn't win right games at UGA

Frank Reich has been interviewed.  Scott Milanovich has at-least been discussed.

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

I think Babers was hired by UCF yesterday.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

I think Babers was hired by UCF yesterday.

Ahh, see he was in the running... but didn't accept... MKlein76 has it right below, Frost takes the job.

Had a prominent cfb writer reach out yesterday and tell me he thought Babers was who MD should be hiring.

• Mike in STL likes this

#4 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Scott Frost was hired at UCF to be their head coach

http://collegefootba...-be-head-coach/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MKlein76

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Didn't seem that MD was ever high on Frost, but he intrigued me a lot.

I'm also high on Fleck. I'd be excited about him..... doesn't seem to be on MD's radar.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

I had reached back out to Chris Landry / Landry Football the other day on the Durkin rumors... his response:

"Even though Dan Mullen is from the Northeast, he is looking for higher profile job than Maryland to make jump from Miss State.  DJ has pedigree working under Harbaugh and is a good coach and recruiter.   What Maryland has found out is that while they would like a high profile coach, they are realizing that the job is not as highly considered by some in the coaching fraternity.  A Big 10 East job with tough climb up."

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,544 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

What Maryland has found out is that while they would like a high profile coach, they are realizing that the job is not as highly considered by some in the coaching fraternity.  A Big 10 East job with tough climb up."

Here we go again.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,544 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

Scott Frost was hired at UCF to be their head coach

http://collegefootba...-be-head-coach/

It's musical chairs, and looking more like the Terps will be the last one standing when the music stops.

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

I had reached back out to Chris Landry / Landry Football the other day on the Durkin rumors... his response:

"Even though Dan Mullen is from the Northeast, he is looking for higher profile job than Maryland to make jump from Miss State.  DJ has pedigree working under Harbaugh and is a good coach and recruiter.   What Maryland has found out is that while they would like a high profile coach, they are realizing that the job is not as highly considered by some in the coaching fraternity.  A Big 10 East job with tough climb up."

Well, either that, or maybe the $6M talk was just internet noise...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,544 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

SB Nation: Virginia Tech’s coaching search was so smooth, Bud Foster found out who his boss was en route to meet him

Dear Kevin Anderson,

This is how you conduct a coaching search and keep your top assistant, you moron.

~Me

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

I really hope they don't botch this.

Part of me think they haven't moved on Durkin because Richt is available.

Part of me also thinks that people see the MD job and say "ewww"

The only way to get someone who moves the meter is to break out the checkbook, because taking an average salary to get your butt kicked by the B1G East every year is not very appealing.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

Richt may be available in theory... but I don't think that's real...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

Dammit. I really wanted Frost. Maryland could have easily had him if UCF get's him. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

I think you can make the argument that UCF is a better job even if they are in a smaller conference.

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Dammit. I really wanted Frost. Maryland could have easily had him if UCF get's him. 

I don't think that's necessarily true.  MD is really a pretty poor job.  It does have some things going for it, but asking a coach to go against Harbaugh, Meyer, D'Antonio, etc. every year when those guys have such head start in program stature is a tough sell.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

I think you can make the argument that UCF is a better job even if they are in a smaller conference.

Not sure it's better, but it's a good job. Huge state school, Florida talent...  AAC isn't horrible.  O'Leary laid a good foundation, despite what happened this year.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,992 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

I think they're going to screw this up. 

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,544 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well, we'll get to see Frost up close the next couple years, as the Terps have a home-and-home with UCF, the 2017 game being at Byrd.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true.  MD is really a pretty poor job.  It does have some things going for it, but asking a coach to go against Harbaugh, Meyer, D'Antonio, etc. every year when those guys have such head start in program stature is a tough sell.

I don't think poor is the right word. Challenging is imo.

Things MD has going for it...
- Administration now cares, upgrade in facilities...

- MD's recruiting backyard... So. PA, Baltimore, DC, NOVA, PG, Montgomery is a Top 20 recruiting area..

- In a major conference... Big Ten $..

- UA...

- Large alumni base within proximity of CP

Things MD has going against it...

- Overall history

- MD in-between two pro obsessed cities... MD Basketball always going to be king...
- Going to have to find a way to compete annually vs. blue bloods Ohio State, Michigan, to a lesser extent Penn State, and current power Michigan State
- Finances rapidly improving for MD Athletics, still a question if they can pay major $ for a coach, and also significant $ for the assistants...

- Overall interest level in the program...

Repeating what I said yesterday... MD does things right, they can build a competitive program.

10 years ago, it wasn't like TCU, Baylor were powers.
15-20 years ago, same for Oregon.

Iowa was a middling Big Ten team last year. (Yes, the West is easier... but shows how a team / program can take a leap.)

The prestige of Ohio State, and Michigan, and to a lesser extent Penn State will always be there... but Michigan State has found a way to compete.

Won't be easy, but I definitely believe MD can consistently be a Top 25 team, which every few years can dream of competing for a division title.

Watching MD build from 'nothing' and competing with those blue bloods will be fun. It's great when you are told you can't do something.

But yeah... it won't be easy.  You need someone who buys the vision, and can sell it to others.

The great thing about Richt (or Mullen) is that it would provide instant credibility.

Someone like Fleck wouldn't be the same, but I do think he has a lot going for him.

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Not sure it's better, but it's a good job. Huge state school, Florida talent... AAC isn't horrible. O'Leary laid a good foundation, despite what happened this year.

Better weather...I believe they won like 9 games the last 2 or 3 years.

It's a solid job, as you said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=