411 replies to this topic

#381 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

Are you aware that Rolen had a better OPS+ for his career than did Dawson right? The same as Molitor's as well. Despite playing a position that doesn't typically generate as much offense (at least when Molitor moved off 2B and 3B).

It's pretty clear who brought more defensive value to the table too, and by a whole lot.

If you want to say guys like him and Raines are only great at one thing, well then you just aren't paying much attention.

BTW, what was Brooks great at besides defense?

What did you say that justifies Dawson being a no doubt about it guy (him taking 9 years to get elected flies in the face of an argument you just made and made previously)?

So now you're justifying Brock as a legit HOF'er so you have no right to complain about precedent being used to compare Brock to Raines. 

Raines was a more productive offensive player than Molitor on a rate basis. But hitz. I guess I have nothing else to say to someone that is a slave to milestones like that.

And real numbers like hits. Hits mean something, but it's hard to take someone seriously who says that line about real numbers and talks about me cherry picking numbers like OPS+. WTF?

I'm not saying that Rolen and Raines were necessarily better than Molitor and Biggio, but there isn't good justification for saying the latter are no doubt HOF'ers and the former aren't worthy. And they were better than Brock, who is a great example of lowering this precious bar of yours, yet you talk him up. 

And the last line is total BS man. I haven't even centered my arguments around WAR. Meanwhile, until now you've done just about nothing to justify your position on many of these players besides just state things as fact with little to nothing to back them up.

Are you aware that Raines was 276th in OPS+? Wanna put that on his plaque? Mack said OPS+ is a quick snapshot of a players ability more or less. Sorry. It's the Hall of Fame. I'd rather examine a lot more than a quick snapshot.

Brooks, besides being an MVP and a top five finisher in MVP voting five times, and leading the league in RBI once (Now you're gonna be pissed. cardinal sin. I brought up RBI). Maybe Shack should answer what Brooks was good at beside defense for you since it was before my time. Maybe Shack can enlighten us about Lou Brock while he's at it. Since I actually have a new found respect for the mans stats after reading more about him now. Thanks for that. 

Mack has been in your corner on this and also defends Dawson, if you don't.  My take on Dawson was.... "Dawson was an all around talent, including defense which you have to account for. Still stole over 300 bases for a power hitter. Played in the same era as Raines "when runs were hard to come by" as you say. Played on the same team and hit over 400 homers, 500 doubles, nearly 100 triples. Also 8 gold gloves.

Is Brock > Raines? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Shack can settle that debate since he's probably the only guy here who saw the man play. 

You have absolutely brought up WAR. You brought it up when I did the blind resume comparing Bobby Abreu's superior numbers to Raines. And your response was, but Raines has 10 more WAR. And you pointed out his WAR total again later on.

Look. more that a few times now you have accused me of just spouting off bullshit without facts, when all I've done is use facts, numbers, awards, things that are 100% fact to justify my arguments. It's not what you agree with. Fine. But I'm not just making shit up because i went to BBRef to look up these guys resume's and not Fan Graphs. I don't even shit on advance stats. I welcome it, although not knowing what they all mean.  But counting stats mean something to me to. They don't to you. Fine. That's your opinion.

69% of the writers agree with you. 31% agree with me. Neither of us are "wrong". The 3 assholes who didn't vote for Griffey are wrong. But thats a whole different story. There is no debate about Griffey where there is clearly one that could be had about Raines. 

Do me a favor Mike. Just give me your best argument for Raines. We've gotten off on a tangent talking about a lot of other players and what not. Just lay out your case for Raines. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#382 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

I've already shown why it's silly to use that 276th in OPS+ so I'm not going to keep repeating myself only for you to ignore while advocating guys with a similar or worse OPS+.

I'm not saying Dawson shouldn't be in the Hall, I'm saying there's no justification for saying he's a no brainer while saying what you've said about Raines. If you said they're both borderline, but you like Dawson more, I'd disagree but that would be more justifiable.

Yes, I've brought up WAR, I've also brought up plenty of other things. Thus, your line was complete BS.

You've very recently started to try to back up your stance with evidence. That wasn't really happening earlier man. So the rest of your spiel in that paragraph is not relevant to the conversation.

Brooks was good at other things. He's maybe the best defensive player ever. He totally fits your only great at one thing category especially if Rolen wasn't a great hitter in his prime and Raines wasn't great at getting on base.

#383 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Quick case for Raines: He's arguably the second best leadoff hitter ever. He is one of the best baserunners ever ranking 5th in steals and first in steal percentage. He was an on base machine that reached base more than Tony Gwynn. He was also more productive at the plate on a per plate appearance than contemporary hitters like Molitor, Dawson, and Murphy. He was a legitimately great player during his peak. And just for you Mike, using the JAWS methodology developed by Jay Jaffe and using peak WAR and career WAR, he's the 8th best left fielder ever and better than the average LF in the Hall in both peak and career WAR.

#384 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

Quick case for Raines: He's arguably the second best leadoff hitter ever. He is one of the best baserunners ever ranking 5th in steals and first in steal percentage. He was an on base machine that reached base more than Tony Gwynn. He was also more productive at the plate on a per plate appearance than contemporary hitters like Molitor, Dawson, and Murphy. He was a legitimately great player during his peak. And just for you Mike, using the JAWS methodology developed by Jay Jaffe and using peak WAR and career WAR, he's the 8th best left fielder ever and better than the average LF in the Hall in both peak and career WAR.

Cool.
@BSLMikeRandall

#385 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, after he left Chicago he was pretty much limited to a part time role. Only 1327 PA over his final 7 years (6 seasons, didn't play at all in 2000). Strange was that he was still very effective (280/385/406 for a 107 OPS+) when he did play. I don't recall well enough if he had trouble staying healthy or if teams just thought he couldn't handle an everyday role anymore (he never needed platoon protection).

I wonder if he'd have gotten more love as one of those "he had to hang 'em up too soon" type of guys sort of like Kirby Puckett if he had not played at all after leaving the White Sox.

Raines through Age 35 had 9032 PA, a 296/385/428 slash line, 126 OPS+, 146 HR, 777 steals (85%), and a 64.9 WAR.
Puckett through Age 35 (his whole career) had 7831 PA, a 318/360/477 slash line, 124 OPS+, 207 HR, 134 SB (64%), and 50.9 WAR.

Seems unfair that continuing to play well, albeit sporadically, for several years at the back end of your career could hurt a player's chances. If he played poorly, that'd be one thing, but he was still an above average player. Like Neil Young said, better to burn out than to fade away, perhaps.

Weber holds it against guys who hold on too long just for counting stats.

#386 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Cool.

Not sure why you're being so dismissive of this. It's a good argument.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#387 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Weber holds it against guys who hold on to long just for counting stats.

I don't hold it against them. I'm not going to give a guy bonus points for having an extra crappy season or two. I think Biggio's case would be just as strong without those last two years even though that means he'd lack 3,000 hits. I was pro-Biggio back then and don't get why anyone would feel that last season in particular put him over the top as a HOF candidate.

#388 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Not sure why you're being so dismissive of this. It's a good argument.

It is. I've said I can see the case for Raines. I see the case against him to be stronger IMO...and that's bullshit to Weber...so...cool.
@BSLMikeRandall

#389 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

It is. I've said I can see the case for Raines. I see the case against him to be stronger IMO...and that's bullshit to Weber...so...cool.

Not at all what I've said.

#390 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

Here is my take on the HOF and why I've softened a bit on who I would let in. You grow up as a kid thinking the HOF is filled with legends. The cream of the crop, top tier, baseball players. Not only did I really never see Raines career, but I looked at numbers and said to myself he is very good, but not elite. It was the aura of the "HOF" and what that meant that made me keep players out.Now, in my opinion the standards should be higher. If the HOF has say 4 tiers of players right now, IMO they should drop the 4th tier but we've already crossed that bridge. I have to stop holding players to that elite, legends standard that the words HOF meant to me growing up. After doing that, it's pretty easy to vote for a guy like Raines.
  • mweb08 and Icterus galbula like this

#391 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Here is my take on the HOF and why I've softened a bit on who I would let in. You grow up as a kid thinking the HOF is filled with legends. The cream of the crop, top tier, baseball players. Not only did I really never see Raines career, but I looked at numbers and said to myself he is very good, but not elite. It was the aura of the "HOF" and what that meant that made me keep players out.Now, in my opinion the standards should be a higher. If the HOF has say 4 tiers of players right now, IMO they should drop the 4th tier but we've already gone past that bridge. I have to stop holding players to that elite, legends standards that the words HOF meant to me growing up. After doing that, it's pretty easy to vote for a guy like Raines.

Good post. If anyone really analyzes who's already in the HOF, and again, I'm not just talking about clear WTF cases, guys like Raines, Mussina, Schilling, etc comfortably meet the standard. I do think a lot of kids probably think about the HOF similarly to how you did as a kid, I think I did too, but that just doesn't match reality.

Now if we were to start a HOF from scratch, there would have to be serious consideration and debate as to what that standard should be, but we've long gone past that point as you said, and besides, the guys I just mentioned would be far from first on the chopping block. I don't think these guys would be in the first floor of the HOF if it were a 4-5 floor pyramid. 

#392 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

NBC Sports / PFT: Mike Piazza asked about steroids during his Hall of Fame conference call

http://mlb.nbcsports...onference-call/

#393 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

NBC Sports / PFT: Mike Piazza asked about steroids during his Hall of Fame conference call
http://mlb.nbcsports...onference-call/

What an ass.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#394 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

You should point out that you're talking about Chass being an ass and not Piazza.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#395 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

Chass isn't an ass, because that suggests he has enough mass to matter. He's backne: annoying, but ultimately out of sight and not worth the trouble.
@DJ_McCann

#396 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

To be fair, it's never just back acne. There is more reasons to suspect than just that. Also, if all of you had to bet your life on Piazza being a user or clean you're all saying user. That said, he's in and it's his day to enjoy. Let it go.
  • Russ likes this

#397 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

Piazza probably did some shit but we don't really know and he was a helluva player with or without. Next.

#398 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

To be fair, it's never just back acne. There is more reasons to suspect than just that. Also, if all of you had to bet your life on Piazza being a user or clean you're all saying user. That said, he's in and it's his day to enjoy. Let it go.

If I had to bet my life on Cal Ripken, or Derek Jeter, or Christy Matthewson, being clean or a user, I'm going user. That's a terrible metric to consider in this case.

@DJ_McCann

#399 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:42 AM

If I had to bet my life on Cal Ripken, or Derek Jeter, or Christy Matthewson, being clean or a user, I'm going user. That's a terrible metric to consider in this case.

Stan Musial was clean. I'd bet my life on that. Where does your line fall?

#400 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Stan Musial was clean.

Nah. He definitely would put sugar in his Wheaties.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=