#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Ok, that's fair. The curriculum is different from the actual standards. The standards are very basic, and extremely logical.

How each state is implementing them is an entirely different issue altogether.

i do honestly that a lot of people don't want to take the time to learn how to help their kids, and would rather bitch about things.

No doubt and I get that sense as well.

But, if you mark my kid wrong for right answers and you make them spend hours and hours on homework because of some stupid way to teach l, I have a big problem with that.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

They always change. "No Child left behind" was the most recent before this.

It'll change again, it always has. There will be something new by the time little Kevin is in school.

People will complain about that one too.

I guess for me, I don't mind an overhaul to the education system. I think people are dumber and dumber even though the technological advances makes things seem smarter.

The issue for me is, instead of making math harder, teach it the old way(which is fine) but let's also teach classes on money management and stuff like that.

That's the type of overhaul I want to see.

I don't need to have to have Kevin know how to add 4+4 in 10 different ways. That's just dumb.

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

I don't really have an issue with the common core standards, but they don't affect me as much as a high school social studies teacher.

I do however have a problem with the emphasis on district/state/national testing.

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

No doubt and I get that sense as well.

But, if you mark my kid wrong for right answers and you make them spend hours and hours on homework because of some stupid way to teach l, I have a big problem with that.

My kids teachers don't mark things like that wrong, you're seeing one extreme example that goes viral and suddenly "OMG COMMON CORE IS RUINING MY CHILD'S LIFE"!!!! 

The math is a little wacky, I admit, but it's not hard to adjust. 

@beginthebegin71

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

I don't really have an issue with the common core standards, but they don't affect me as much as a high school social studies teacher.

I do however have a problem with the emphasis on district/state/national testing.

How does the common core testing effect the testing issues?

#26 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

I guess for me, I don't mind an overhaul to the education system. I think people are dumber and dumber even though the technological advances makes things seem smarter.

The issue for me is, instead of making math harder, teach it the old way(which is fine) but let's also teach classes on money management and stuff like that.

That's the type of overhaul I want to see.

I don't need to have to have Kevin know how to add 4+4 in 10 different ways. That's just dumb.

It's not so much about Kevin having to learn 4+4 10 different ways, it's more that he'll have more methods on how to figure things out in general. 

Here's the thing, if we were taught this way when we were kids, none of this would be an issue. 

It's more about change to parents, than anything else. I'm convinced of this. 

• Russ likes this
@beginthebegin71

#27 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

I guess for me, I don't mind an overhaul to the education system. I think people are dumber and dumber even though the technological advances makes things seem smarter. The issue for me is, instead of making math harder, teach it the old way(which is fine) but let's also teach classes on money management and stuff like that. That's the type of overhaul I want to see. I don't need to have to have Kevin know how to add 4+4 in 10 different ways. That's just dumb.
It's not so much about Kevin having to learn 4+4 10 different ways, it's more that he'll have more methods on how to figure things out in general.    Here's the thing, if we were taught this way when we were kids, none of this would be an issue.    It's more about change to parents, than anything else. I'm convinced of this. 
This is on point. They teach different methods to solving math problems that are much more visual in nature. They provide students different ways to solve the problem instead of the limited and traditional ways we learned. When the student takes the test, they solve the problem and show their work using the method they found most effective. As for reading, there are cc standards that have an emphasis on citing evidence (good teaching) and making text to self and text to world connections (also good teaching). People like to complain when anything new comes out whether it's. New Facebook update, new standards, etc.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

My kids teachers don't mark things like that wrong, you're seeing one extreme example that goes viral and suddenly "OMG COMMON CORE IS RUINING MY CHILD'S LIFE"!!!!

The math is a little wacky, I admit, but it's not hard to adjust.

I can tell you that this experience is stuff I have heard in Balt co schools.

#29 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

Also how many adults accurately remember learning math in 2nd grade? Like really remember how they were taught, if the struggled or not, and how receptive they were to the process. I would say most people do not. They just know they learned it, they solve the problems a certain way, and that should be how it is forever because change is scary and it's easier to remain ignorant and complain than be open minded and learn something new.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#30 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Also how many adults accurately remember learning math in 2nd grade? Like really remember how they were taught, if the struggled or not, and how receptive they were to the process. I would say most people do not. They just know they learned it, they solve the problems a certain way, and that should be how it is forever because change is scary and it's easier to remain ignorant and complain than be open minded and learn something new.

BOOM! 

I can't possibly like that last sentence enough! 

@beginthebegin71

#31 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

I can tell you that this experience is stuff I have heard in Balt co schools.

My wife teaches in Baltimore County and really her only complaint has been that they didn't teach the teachers exactly how to teach the new methods.. this took a while for them to adjust as well. A fair complaint I think. 

But that was a few years ago when it was first implemented. 

@beginthebegin71

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

It's not so much about Kevin having to learn 4+4 10 different ways, it's more that he'll have more methods on how to figure things out in general.

Here's the thing, if we were taught this way when we were kids, none of this would be an issue.

It's more about change to parents, than anything else. I'm convinced of this.

I think in many ways you are spot on about this.

When I hear my sister in law complain about stuff, I do get this sense at times but I also think some of the issues are valid.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

How does the common core testing effect the testing issues?

I'm just saying there is too much testing in general.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

This is on point. They teach different methods to solving math problems that are much more visual in nature. They provide students different ways to solve the problem instead of the limited and traditional ways we learned. When the student takes the test, they solve the problem and show their work using the method they found most effective.

As for reading, there are cc standards that have an emphasis on citing evidence (good teaching) and making text to self and text to world connections (also good teaching).

People like to complain when anything new comes out whether it's. New Facebook update, new standards, etc.

And this is the stuff I have thought about when people complain about it. I think it's good to make them think more.

I also think it's total bullshit if you mark them wrong if they get it right because you want it done a certain way.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

Do you feel this is harmful in your teaching to your kids?

Using The Wire as an example, when Prez had to teach the test even though his kids were learning math...is that the same stuff you guys go through?

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Do you feel this is harmful in your teaching to your kids?

Using The Wire as an example, when Prez had to teach the test even though his kids were learning math...is that the same stuff you guys go through?

It's harmful for two reasons. One is the amount of instruction time lost due to all the testing. The second goes to your example, which is that teachers have to decide how much they're going to teach to the test because those test results affect our careers to varying degrees.

#37 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

This isn't entirely on topic based on where this conversation went, link below, but I thought about it.  

There's entirely too much bullshit that stops teachers from doing what they need to.  I know my ex had her masters in education, and the NBST stuff (which is ridiculously hard and time consuming to complete), and they still required her to complete continuing education requirements every few years.  That's in addition to all the standardized tests, the mid-period progress reports, tutoring, grading papers, preparing lesson plans, dealing with parents and administrators.  

I swear that you could offer me 200k a year to teach and I'd still say no thanks.

https://www.washingt...ar-is-quitting/

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

The grind!

There is a lot of BS we have to do.

#39 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

I think in many ways you are spot on about this.

When I hear my sister in law complain about stuff, I do get this sense at times but I also think some of the issues are valid.

No doubt that some of the issues are valid. 

But people fear change in general. Instead of learning the "new way", it's just easier to complain about it. 

@beginthebegin71

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

I really liked the video in the 2nd link I posted (2nd post overall in this thread). It's 8 minutes, but does a good job explaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=