• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,099 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

MASN: O’s Brian Graham on why Tanner Scott will pitch in the first inning this year
http://www.masnsport...-this-year.html

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

2017 so far: AA - 0-0, 1.50 ERA, 2 GS, 6 IP, 7 K, 5 BB, 1.17 WHIP

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

1.80 ERA...21 Ks in only 15 IP, no homers and only 5 hits allowed.

But 15 walks.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

1.80 ERA still...43 Ks in 30 innings..22 walks though. Still only allowed the one homer.

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

So he had 15 BB's in 15 IP heading into May, then just 7 in 15 IP heading into June. All while maintaining the K rate. Damn. Pretty impressive.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

So he had 15 BB's in 15 IP heading into May, then just 7 in 15 IP heading into June. All while maintaining the K rate. Damn. Pretty impressive.

Yep...it's still awful but you want to see improvement and he is doing that.

Interesting that they are starting him for 3 inning stints.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Trying to make him the next Andrew Miller. Guys that can throw 100 dominant innings out of the pen should be the next big thing in MLB. Multi inning guys throwing every 2 days on average.

Edit: Not that Miller is going to throw 100 innings out of the pen.
  • You Play to Win the Game and JeremyStrain like this

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

Trying to make him the next Andrew Miller. Guys that can throw 100 dominant innings out of the pen should be the next big thing in MLB. Multi inning guys throwing every 2 days on average.

Put 3 of those guys in a pen that can throw 100mph with a good offspeed pitch. Doesn't matter if they only have two pitches. Stop trying to force them into becoming a starter, and just jump straight to the pen with them, You can make an argument that a dominant enough of a pen and a good hitting team will win some games. We've seen it here over the past 5 years.

@JeremyMStrain

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

Yup. A guy that throws say 50 pitches max in a game and doesn't go through the lineup more than once. You can get away with two pitches if youre going through a lineup 1 time. Especially, with a fastball at or near 100.

#30 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yup. A guy that throws say 50 pitches max in a game and doesn't go through the lineup more than once. You can get away with two pitches if youre going through a lineup 1 time. Especially, with a fastball at or near 100.

Up to the organization to look at the process and prepare him to pitch at the ML level. Not saying we have great talent by any means, but I do think we're better at that than we were before when we had guys with good/great mil numbers routinely come up and get crushed . 

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

I don't think this is the intention but it's an excellent idea.

BTW, they are doing the same thing with Miguel Castro.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

If he can ever learn to limit the walks without sacrificing his otherwise dominant numbers, he's gonna be something special.

Even if he can just get it down to about 5 walks per 9, which otherwise would be horrible, I think he's a major league reliever.  If he can get them down to 3, which seems completely unrealistic given his past, he could be one of the best in the sport.  He's given up 12 hits in 30 innings this year.  He gave up the 2nd HR of his 159 IP minor league career this season (though oddly he gave up 3 HRs in the AFL last fall).  His GB% has been about 55% for his minor league career and his K-rate is 11 2/3 per 9.

Just fantastic, fantastic numbers.  Except for the walk rate, which is as bad as any of the other numbers are good.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Send him to Brady U.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

If he can ever learn to limit the walks without sacrificing his otherwise dominant numbers, he's gonna be something special.

Even if he can just get it down to about 5 walks per 9, which otherwise would be horrible, I think he's a major league reliever.  If he can get them down to 3, which seems completely unrealistic given his past, he could be one of the best in the sport.  He's given up 12 hits in 30 innings this year.  He gave up the 2nd HR of his 159 IP minor league career this season (though oddly he gave up 3 HRs in the AFL last fall).  His GB% has been about 55% for his minor league career and his K-rate is 11 2/3 per 9.

Just fantastic, fantastic numbers.  Except for the walk rate, which is as bad as any of the other numbers are good.

Agreed, but the thing that makes me think it will never happen, is that major league hitters, will make sure he can throw a strike.

His walk rate would probably elevate in the majors.

Unless he was pitching against the Orioles.  They would swing away at everything and he would strike out a lot of hitters.

@mikeghg

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

Andrew Miller had a 5.1 walk rate in the minors.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

And in the majors for his first several years, until he figure it out starting in 2014.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

And in the majors for his first several years, until he figure it out starting in 2014.

Right..and in fairness, he was a starter and you would expect the walk rate to be better as a reliever but still, the point is that his control has gotten better.  

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Good comparison

I have seen him twice in ST games one live and one on the tube, and I swear I see Brad Pennington.

@mikeghg

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Good comparison

I have seen him twice in ST games one live and one on the tube, and I swear I see Brad Pennington.

Definitely could become him too.

#40 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

AA: 0-0, 1.64 ERA, 33 IP, 43 K, 22 BB, 1.12 WHIP

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users