• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Brian Roberts was interviewed during the game by Carpenter and Bill Ripken.

Seemed very optimistic and very encouraged. Said he was taking BP, fielding grounders, and sliding.

I really don't know what the timetable would be if he returns healthy, but let's say everything goes to plan and he is back around mid-July. Where do you play him in the field? Where is he in the lineup? Does he have to earn a starter's role back or is he given the 2B job if he can perform it?

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Seemed very optimistic and very encouraged. Said he was taking BP, fielding grounders, and sliding.

I really don't know what the timetable would be if he returns healthy, but let's say everything goes to plan and he is back around mid-July. Where do you play him in the field? Where is he in the lineup? Does he have to earn a starter's role back or is he given the 2B job if he can perform it?

I think whenever he is ready to go on a rehab assignment, he is going to spend 20 games in the Minors.

At the end of that 20 games, I think Roberts will evaluate where he is, and determine for himself if he believes he can return. If he believes he can still play, I see him coming up and playing several times a week. More than a traditional bench player, but less than a starter.

When playing, I think Andino would stay in the lineup, getting time at 3rd. Figure Roberts would also get some ab's at DH.

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

B-Rob is always *optimistic*, he talks every year how this team is going "closer" than ever to contending. I'm waiting til he plays in actual games until I'm going to get excited about his comeback.

I think it's Andino's job to lose. Of course, our situation at 3B makes Andino a possibility there. Not sure where he is in the lineup
@levineps

#44 lawbuz

lawbuz
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

I think it's a no brainer that if Roberts feels good after the rehab assignment, you will see him at 2nd and Andino at 3rd. We might lose a little pop, but I would rather see this team win with pitching, defense and speed. And that makes the bench even better.
@JamieEBerry

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Jerry Coleman / 105.7
https://twitter.com/...664023575314432

"Breaking! Brian Roberts just told me he is weeks away from playing. Closer than ever 2 returning to #Orioles."

#46 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Jerry Coleman / 105.7
https://twitter.com/...664023575314432

"Breaking! Brian Roberts just told me he is weeks away from playing. Closer than ever 2 returning to #Orioles."

https://twitter.com/...679090261868544
@JeffLongBP

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Starting in Bowie tomorrow night. We will see how it goes, but happy for him.

#48 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

If he can contribute, great. I think making it back will really help him personally.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

So, what happens if BRob comes back and stays healthy? Andino to third, Reynolds to DH and Nick Johnson DFA'?

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

So, what happens if BRob comes back and stays healthy? Andino to third, Reynolds to DH and Nick Johnson DFA'?

I think all stay, and Roberts does not start 6 days a week. One of Tolleson, Hall, and Flaherty go for Roberts With a trade to Chicago to send Flaherty to AAA being my choice. One of the others goes for Reynolds.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yea, I don't expect Brob to start 6 days a week and he will DH some...I just think Buck may want the positional flexibility everyone else brings(beside nick j)...your scenario certainly is possible though.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sentimentality aside, I hope they don't just give him anything because of past accomplishments especially while this team is playing legitimate games. If he's better than Andino, I have no problem supplanting him at second? Yes, I know Andino can move to another position, but why would you want to mess with success?
@levineps

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Sentimentality aside, I hope they don't just give him anything because of past accomplishments especially while this team is playing legitimate games. If he's better than Andino, I have no problem supplanting him at second? Yes, I know Andino can move to another position, but why would you want to mess with success?

Andino's performance has really slipped lately, frankly he has been abysmal over the last two plus weeks. If Roberts is back and healthy enough to play, you can bet he'll be the primary 2B. Andino will likely still get 1-2 starts there a week, especially at the outset, but Roberts will get a lot of leeway. It'll take several weeks of poor performance to flip things back around and have Andino the primary and Roberts hoping for playing time.

Andino will still get regular time at 3B, especially while Reynolds is still on the DL, but if he doesn't start hitting better, he'll be back to the utility role he's probably best suited for. His recent slump has brought his OBP all the way down to .305, which is terrible. Since May 5, his OBP is under 200.

#54 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Andino's performance has really slipped lately, frankly he has been abysmal over the last two plus weeks. If Roberts is back and healthy enough to play, you can bet he'll be the primary 2B. Andino will likely still get 1-2 starts there a week, especially at the outset, but Roberts will get a lot of leeway. It'll take several weeks of poor performance to flip things back around and have Andino the primary and Roberts hoping for playing time.

Andino will still get regular time at 3B, especially while Reynolds is still on the DL, but if he doesn't start hitting better, he'll be back to the utility role he's probably best suited for. His recent slump has brought his OBP all the way down to .305, which is terrible. Since May 5, his OBP is under 200.

Yeah I was thinking about this last night. Andino finished last year on a high note and played well to start this season, but he's been pretty terrible for the last few weeks. Once B Rob is back, it will be his job IMO. Like you said, Andino will still get a start or two a week at 2nd and probably a few at 3rd. He can become one of those utility guys that's in the lineup more often than not.

@AdamWolff

#55 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I think you are spot on here. We will lose on the defensive side as I think Andino has better range and turns the DP better than BRob. Nor sure what BRob has left offensively but we are going to find out.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

And if he's the better option than Andino when he comes back up, which is atleast 20 games from now then by all means give him 2B and make Andino a super-utility player. I don't expect B-Rob to be playing every day especially right after he comes back.
@levineps

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Roberts walks in his first plate appearance for Bowie.

#58 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Walked in his second PA too.
9 piches, 8 balls, 1 called strike. Didn't lift the bat off his shoulder.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Roberts at 2B and leadoff would fill the gaping hole in the lineup, make the offense better and improve the defense at 3B. Shift Reynolds to DH, gives you some power in the lineup and some speed and average to put runners on base in front of him for those 35 HR he hits. We might actually have a bounty of wealth if Reimold can get back healthy, but speaking as someone with his same problem, it's going to be a while...
@JeremyMStrain

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

The problem I have with a lot of people is they are just assuming Roberts isn't going to help this team. Hell, I've seen others on other message boards suggest Brian is going to somehow hurt the team and it's chemistry. I disagree. I think somehow, someway Brian is a guy that will contribute. I would fully expect that if he felt he couldn't help the team that he would walk away. Maybe not announce his retirement but put himself back on the DL for the rest of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=