302 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

While I do not agree with that view I do not think it is absolutely unreasonable. The initial symptom causing incident was self inflicted.

So? It was still baseball-related. It was during a game. If an injury happens in the ballpark, it's a baseball injury. Unless you are suggesting that he hit himself in the head with the intention of significantly injuring himself. That would be a different case scenario, but that's not what happened here.

#22 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

While I do not agree with that view I do not think it is absolutely unreasonable. The initial symptom causing incident was self inflicted.

So? It was still baseball-related. It was during a game. If an injury happens in the ballpark, it's a baseball injury. Unless you are suggesting that he hit himself in the head with the intention of significantly injuring himself. That would be a different case scenario, but that's not what happened here.

No, jarring your head when you slide is baseball related. Choosing to hit yourself in the head with a bat during a baseball game is just stupidity.

Brian has come culpability for his injury.

I myself do not believe that he should voluntarily give up the rest of his contract nor do I believe the O's should attempt to recoup monies owed. I do think that the fans that do think that way are not being "absolutely unreasonable". There is a modicum of reason to their argument.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

It's not stupidity, it's an impulsive act out of frustration. Like breaking a bat over your knee, or punching a cooler. These things happen. I'm sure that some point in baseball history someone has punched a wall or cooler and hurt their hand and had to go on the DL, and I really doubt that the player had to pay the club back their salary while they were injured. This is in the same category to me.

It would certainly be great for the organization if Roberts walked away from his remaining salary, but he is under no moral or ethical obligation to do so, IMO. He got injured unintentionally. It doesn't matter that he is the one who caused the injury unless he intended to cause this damage to prevent himself from playing.

#24 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Just because an injury happens at your place of work does not mean it's work related. I'm not sure how that can be confused.

I'm sitting at my desk this morning, a little frustrated by how the day is going. Say I decide to take my scissors and, out of frustration, stab myself in the leg. Is that work related? Of course it isn't.

So Brian's injury was not work/baseball related. That's not particularly debateable, IMO. I also don't think he should give up any salary or anything like that. I feel bad for Brian and what he's going through and I sincerely hope for a speedy recovery, if not for his baseball future, his future and quality of living going forward. He's a good dude and he's done quite a bit for the community. Get better, Brob!

@AdamWolff

#25 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. There is plenty of room for it to be stupid and an impulsive act born out of frustration.

Just because he acted impulsively does not free him from the consequences of his actions.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

I just don't think there is a strong argument to be made that this is an injury that didn't come from playing baseball. He definitely did something stupid, but it was on the field, and it's something players do all the time. It's a part of the game. To ask him to forfeit his salary because of that is way too much, IMO. What if the concussion was because he charged the mound and got knocked unconscious?

This has pretty much devolved into a semantics argument. I think all of us generally agree that Roberts should still get his money and the Orioles shouldn't be trying to take it from him. I just think his injury can be lumped in with pretty much any other baseball related injury since he wasn't intentionally trying to injure himself, whether it was self-inflicted or not.

#27 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, I think we can all find our point of agreement in that he's still deserving of his money. Sure, it would be very noble of him to work out a settlement or something, but he certainly does not owe the O's anything.

It would be such a shame if this is the way his career ends, though. He's been the face of the franchise through a very rough period, one of few bright spots.

@AdamWolff

#28 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Aside from debating about how injury/salary etc, the only thing I'll say is that even an average Brian Roberts at this stage of his career at the top of the O's lineup would do WONDERS for the entire offense. I really hope he can get back, and even if he isn't the Brian Roberts of old, I hope he can stay healthy and play nearly everyday and just be a consistent, solid 2B and leadoff guy. Takes the pressure off other guys.
@PeterDiLutis

#29 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I really hope he comes back, too. Even if his skills have diminished a bit, he is a leader on that team. He makes things happen.

All the speculation about what he's entitled to if he can't play ought to be covered in the standard contract. Angelos is a lawyer, right? From most accounts, a pretty good one, too. I have no idea how injuries that are alleged to be the player's fault are handled in baseball. After the dust settles, Brian will get whatever his contract calls for.

I, for one, don't believe he is faking it or anything like that. It's the absence of regular updates with specific information that puzzles me. That's so unlike the way all other MLB player injuries are handled that it just raises my curiosity. But I wish Brian well, no matter what happens.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Aside from debating about how injury/salary etc, the only thing I'll say is that even an average Brian Roberts at this stage of his career at the top of the O's lineup would do WONDERS for the entire offense. I really hope he can get back, and even if he isn't the Brian Roberts of old, I hope he can stay healthy and play nearly everyday and just be a consistent, solid 2B and leadoff guy. Takes the pressure off other guys.

This probably isn't the case anymore.

#31 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Before anyone makes any snap judgments about what ails Brian Roberts...please read this: http://www.pittsburg... ... sbys-Life/ A story out of Pittsburgh with regards to Sidney Crosby and concussions.
@BSLLukeJackson

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

CSN Baltimore: Roberts talks, but no guarantees
http://www.csnbaltim...530&feedID=6876

MLB.com / Ghiroli: http://brittghiroli....-roberts-speak/

#33 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

It is a real stretch of the imagination to believe Roberts is coming back and will play like he used to. He is 34, he missed half the 2010 season with injuries, he missed the last 4 1/2 months of 2011 with his concussion symptoms, and he can't even guess when or if he will be ready to resume his conditioning routine to get into game shape. If he does manage to resume playing, it will be a miracle if he comes close to being the player he used to be. Stranger things have happened, but they are rare, and they never seem to happen to the Orioles.

#34 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Before anyone makes any snap judgments about what ails Brian Roberts...please read this: http://www.pittsburg... ... sbys-Life/ A story out of Pittsburgh with regards to Sidney Crosby and concussions.

THANK YOU. Concussions affect everyone differently. They can be extremely difficult to recover from. I think Roberts's concussion was compounded by the fact that he was already having some neck/back issues at the time. I feel so horrible for guys like Roberts, Sidney Crosby, and Justin Morneau. They want nothing more than to be out there playing, but they can't be out there. That's got to be depressing.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#35 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'm not making snap judgements about what ails Brian Roberts. I am stating a pragmatic view of his current situation.

I am saying it is probable that he will never play major league baseball again, and if he does, his skills will have significantly diminished to the point that he will not come close to being as productive as he used to be.

#36 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Let us say that Roberts gets to a position this season where he can go on a minor league rehab assignment.

He plays, he wants to come back and play with the big club but the FO thinks that he will be a detriment on the diamond.

Do the O's owe Roberts a chance to prove himself at the ML level? Should they let him play if they think he is going to be at a below replacement level?

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Are we assuming that the club feels he'll be a detriment based on his play during the rehab assignment?

#38 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Are we assuming that the club feels he'll be a detriment based on his play during the rehab assignment?

Yes.

#39 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Do the O's owe Roberts a chance to prove himself at the ML level? Should they let him play if they think he is going to be at a below replacement level?

The Orioles are paying him 10 million a year to do, right now, precisely squat. They don't owe him anything.

I like Roberts as much as anyone else, too.

#40 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

The Orioles are paying him 10 million a year to do, right now, precisely squat. They don't owe him anything.

I like Roberts as much as anyone else, too.

I of course agree, was just interested in seeing if there was an opposing view out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=