#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:07 AM

Still payment. Direct from a member of the coaching staff to a prospective player. Doesn't matter under NCAA regs whether it's cash, women, drugs, Beanie Babies or anything else. It's a payment to encourage joining that program, and that's a big no-no.

It doesn't even matter that other schools may be or are doing the same things. Louisville--and Pitino--employed the guy stupid enough to bring in other people and make it easier to get caught.

Yea, it's still a payment. Which is why it's just a recruiting voilation that will be made to be much bigger than that, even though it's not a big deal.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

You can't allow coaches to buy sex workers for underage children. How should that not be considered a big deal?

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

I don't understand how you can't be sickened by the symbolism of a University, or any institution for that matter, actively promoting prostitution. For those who feel this way... Rob... it once again shows a severe lack of understanding of US Subcultures. Research shows that most female prostitutes were in a "tumultuous" point in their life when they felt they had no choice but to sell their bodies. There are tons of contributing factors that go into it as well... like Women pay inequality (still a huge problem), women hiring inequality... and in the case of many prostitutes, poverty, a lack of education and heavy drug use.

"Women have a choice, they are choosing to do it." - By this logic, Dr. Kevorkian'ites should just be able to set-up shop right outside of mental health facilities... there's business to be had, and the patients would have to consent, no big deal, right?

It is sickening that any University would promote this kind of behavior. What they should do is educate our youth more on the leading indicators of prostitution and provide an understanding on where society needs to improve to further promote gender equality and not feed into the way it's always been.

There's a ton more to say... and I realize there is a feminist movement that is largely in support of female prostitution. I'm not even necessarily throwing the baby out with the bath water... but just because 3% of prostitutes are healthy, educated and have consciously chosen this as a career doesn't mean we should just turn our back's on the other 97% who get into the business because they feel they have no other choice.

Now we can add getting paid by Universities to entertain 17 year old high schooler's as a motivating factor. Just awful. 

I really tried to stay away from this thread... This isn't what this site is for, it's been made clear, and I'm sure people are tired of my soap box rants. I'm aware and I wish I didn't feel the need to throw this out there. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else has to this point. There's a ton of asinine commentary in this thread. 

#44 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

I think the whole "we're too PC" thing has jumped the shark. We are still allowed to be bothered by things without automatically being labelled as"Too PC" if we are. It's getting weird. Do people overreact? Of course, but this "nothing bothers me, and it shouldn't bother you" movement is just odd. 

it doesn't have to be all or nothing. 

Personally, I'm not saying this is the worst thing I've ever heard, or saying it's not a big deal. I do think Mcgee needs to admit it before it goes away. 

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and DJ MC like this
@beginthebegin71

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

Yea, it's still a payment. Which is why it's just a recruiting voilation that will be made to be much bigger than that, even though it's not a big deal.

Except even as a simple "paying players" thing it's not JUST a recruiting violation. That's the kind of thing that gets programs into really deep trouble, and coaches into show-cause territory. You seem to be purposefully minimizing the situation simply because of the prostitution aspect.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Again, I'm curious what the reaction would be if the gender of those involved was reversed. So 16-17 year female basketball players being setup with older male prostitutes.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Or what if Kentucky had a reasonable age of consent. 16 is pretty nasty if you think about what that means.
  • mweb08 and Mike in STL like this

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

Or what if Kentucky had a reasonable age of consent. 16 is pretty nasty if you think about what that means.

Agreed, but I doubt that would make much of a difference to Rob and Pete. You know, because it's just getting guys laid, regardless of the ages involved.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Except even as a simple "paying players" thing it's not JUST a recruiting violation. That's the kind of thing that gets programs into really deep trouble, and coaches into show-cause territory. You seem to be purposefully minimizing the situation simply because of the prostitution aspect.

Of course it would be a major violation and a big story if an assistant coach from a huge program was found to be giving players wads of cash.

I guess Rob thinks this form of payment should be less of a story than if the coach just handed the players the cash instead.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

I don't understand how you can't be sickened by the symbolism of a University, or any institution for that matter, actively promoting prostitution. For those who feel this way... Rob... it once again shows a severe lack of understanding of US Subcultures. Research shows that most female prostitutes were in a "tumultuous" point in their life when they felt they had no choice but to sell their bodies. There are tons of contributing factors that go into it as well... like Women pay inequality (still a huge problem), women hiring inequality... and in the case of many prostitutes, poverty, a lack of education and heavy drug use.

"Women have a choice, they are choosing to do it." - By this logic, Dr. Kevorkian'ites should just be able to set-up shop right outside of mental health facilities... there's business to be had, and the patients would have to consent, no big deal, right?

It is sickening that any University would promote this kind of behavior. What they should do is educate our youth more on the leading indicators of prostitution and provide an understanding on where society needs to improve to further promote gender equality and not feed into the way it's always been.

There's a ton more to say... and I realize there is a feminist movement that is largely in support of female prostitution. I'm not even necessarily throwing the baby out with the bath water... but just because 3% of prostitutes are healthy, educated and have consciously chosen this as a career doesn't mean we should just turn our back's on the other 97% who get into the business because they feel they have no other choice.

Now we can add getting paid by Universities to entertain 17 year old high schooler's as a motivating factor. Just awful.

I really tried to stay away from this thread... This isn't what this site is for, it's been made clear, and I'm sure people are tired of my soap box rants. I'm aware and I wish I didn't feel the need to throw this out there. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else has to this point. There's a ton of asinine commentary in this thread.

Lol...get off your fucking high horse.

I'm completely amazed that people out there still don't believe in people having control of their own actions.

Pathetic.

That's quite a message to teach kids.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yea...getting kids laid is nothing to me.

Whether it's a paid hooker or a "paid" hostess(who is a student and that is worse imo), it's no difference.

Now, I'm fine if they get some kind of a penalty.

That's not the focus of my point. My point is that this is something that will be blown up because sex is involved.

So, if sex is involved, people get so crazy about it.

It's just one of those hot button topics that gets blown out of proportion in our country.

So, if this is something that results simply in a penalty to the school and people aren't trying to run Pitino out, I have no issue. If this is something that causes Pitino his job, I have a big problem with it(unless we find out new info that's way worse).

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

Of course it would be a major violation and a big story if an assistant coach from a huge program was found to be giving players wads of cash.

I guess Rob thinks this form of payment should be less of a story than if the coach just handed the players the cash instead.

Well I don't think any of it should be a story but it is what it is.

As I said, this should be treating strictly as a recruiting violation and that's it.

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

As I said, Lol. I'm far from a "PC guy" but Shields just looks bad here.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

As I said, Lol. I'm far from a "PC guy" but Shields just looks bad here.

As someone who probably has to pay for sex, I'm surprised you are bothered by it. :)

In all seriousness, I just don't see this stuff as a big deal. If it was cash, I wouldn't care that much either.

But I agree a punishment should be given.

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

As someone who probably has to pay for sex, I'm surprised you are bothered by it. :)

LOL

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

In all seriousness, I just don't see this stuff as a big deal. If it was cash, I wouldn't care that much either.

But I agree a punishment should be given.

Youre the married guy with the kid. You'll be paying for it soon enough. Mack and Weber are spot on.

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Youre the married guy with the kid. You'll be paying for it soon enough. Mack and Weber are spot on.

We all pay for it, one way or another. ;)

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Lol...get off your fucking high horse.

I'm completely amazed that people out there still don't believe in people having control of their own actions.

Pathetic.

That's quite a message to teach kids.

What message is Louisville teaching to kids?

You're unreal with this stuff man. I'm on my high horse because I expect more from a place of higher education. Okay.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

What message is Louisville teaching to kids?

You're unreal with this stuff man. I'm on my high horse because I expect more from a place of higher education. Okay.

You can expect more...that's fine.

You are on your high horse with the whole "you don't know society" bullshit. Just because I'm not some overly sensitive bleeding heart and feel that people have no control over themselves is a fucking joke.

Go ahead and feel sorry for everyone...but don't be an asshole because I feel people can make their own path in life. Sorry that I expect people to work for things and figure things out for themselves.

As for expecting a higher standard...lol. Guess you don't understand how things work. Money is the bottom line.

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

What's the "people have no control over themselves" part about?

You feel blame is being misplaced here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=