112 replies to this topic

#21 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

Society is way too PC at this point. It's not even the act that's so bad, it's the reaction to it...and it's not even the reaction to it, but everyone expecting a reaction. It's like as soon as someone even sniffs doing something wrong, the public expects it to blow up and become a big news story fiasco.

I agree with Rob. I don't see the big deal. No one that isn't on their high horse would think this is a big deal. I'm not saying it's the most moral thing to do, but guys in college do a lotttttttt worst than that. 

And I don't believe Pitino knew about it. No reason why he'd risk an in-tact legacy and he doesn't need to do that to recruit top kids to play for him. 

@PeterDiLutis

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Society is way too PC at this point. It's not even the act that's so bad, it's the reaction to it...and it's not even the reaction to it, but everyone expecting a reaction. It's like as soon as someone even sniffs doing something wrong, the public expects it to blow up and become a big news story fiasco.

I agree with Rob. I don't see the big deal. No one that isn't on their high horse would think this is a big deal. I'm not saying it's the most moral thing to do, but guys in college do a lotttttttt worst than that. 

And I don't believe Pitino knew about it. No reason why he'd risk an in-tact legacy and he doesn't need to do that to recruit top kids to play for him. 

I think that the reasons he wouldn't know about it are logical, but they break down when you get to the big question: he had so little control of his program that he didn't know an assistant coach was hiring prostitutes for his players? Especially since, if the allegations are at all accurate, it wasn't a one-off thing.

@DJ_McCann

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

Guys in college doing much worse stuff isn't exactly the best defense. That would be true even if we were just talking about college kids, but we're also talking about high school kids here. A representative of a college hiring prostitutes in order to lure high school kids to that college is just not acceptable imo.

Now would I have loved the recruiting experience as a 16-17 year old? Of course. However, using that to defend what allegedly happened is similar to defending the hot female teacher because some teenagers fantasize about hooking up with their female teachers.

Then switch the gender around in these scenarios and see how the reaction changes.

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:55 PM

Btw Pete, it's time to man up and go over to the Ravens section. ;)

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:35 AM

He may not have known... I'm with you about that, I assume he didn't... but that doesn't let him off the hook... he runs the program, so the buck stops with him... if one of his assistants was doing it, it's because Pitino failed to do the very basic job of ensuring his assistants know what's acceptable to do on his watch... which means it's his responsibility... 

If the place wasn't a major basketball factory with rabid alumni, and/or if Pitino wasn't a brand name, they'd can him for that... lots of places would... we'll see if Louisville does by the time the dust settles... I seriously doubt it... this is the problem with places that harbor championship aspirations... but you never know...  

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:35 AM

Yep...whether he knew or not, it's still bad for Pitino because it's going to be made a much bigger deal than it is.

If it's a recruiting violation, UL should be penalized. Beyond that, this should be a non story.

#27 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

I think Pitino will coach out the year, then mutually part ways.

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

Yep...whether he knew or not, it's still bad for Pitino because it's going to be made a much bigger deal than it is.

If it's a recruiting violation, UL should be penalized. Beyond that, this should be a non story.

Would it be a non-story if the coach was handing out wads of cash to these players? Even ignoring the prostitution aspect of it, that's a bit more than a "recruiting violation", right?

@DJ_McCann

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

http://www.al.com/sp...mistress_k.html

@levineps

#30 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Which thread? 

@PeterDiLutis

#31 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

http://www.al.com/sp...mistress_k.html

He still has a very good legacy. That has gone away since he's had several good years since, won a Natty, and signed a 10 year deal to remain at Lville.

@PeterDiLutis

#32 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

Right...it's not good for him because it's going to be blown up. But I don't think that's fair.

And as far as him having so little control of the program. Eh. I don't know. I've never been a collegiate athlete so I'm not sure what the norm is but think back to how often you guys have done things behind your parents backs, how often you did something you're not supposed to in high school, cheated on tests, etc. Kids find way to do things behind their parents every day. Classrooms in high school turn into cheating clubs every single day in every single school in America. But we're supposed to hold Pitino to a higher standard than parents and middle school/high school teachers? A guy leading a team of oversized men, many of which are about to be millionaires? I just don't see the crime. I don't see why Rick Pitino would know what goes on at the dorms to be honest. It's not like he's going to be visiting them. 

@PeterDiLutis

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Which thread? 

You know which thread man. Time to eat some crow.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#34 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

No I don't. I remember the debate obviously but don't know what thread it was in. I have several Ravens points I'd like to make. I'll start a new thread. 

@PeterDiLutis

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

No I don't. I remember the debate obviously but don't know what thread it was in. I have several Ravens points I'd like to make. I'll start a new thread. 

Well whatever. Eat crow in whatever thread you like. It's weak that it hasn't already happened.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

Right...it's not good for him because it's going to be blown up. But I don't think that's fair.

And as far as him having so little control of the program. Eh. I don't know. I've never been a collegiate athlete so I'm not sure what the norm is but think back to how often you guys have done things behind your parents backs, how often you did something you're not supposed to in high school, cheated on tests, etc. Kids find way to do things behind their parents every day. Classrooms in high school turn into cheating clubs every single day in every single school in America. But we're supposed to hold Pitino to a higher standard than parents and middle school/high school teachers? A guy leading a team of oversized men, many of which are about to be millionaires? I just don't see the crime. I don't see why Rick Pitino would know what goes on at the dorms to be honest. It's not like he's going to be visiting them. 

When kids are going behind parents' and teachers' backs, it's not usually the other parent in the family, or another teacher in the school, aiding and abetting.

@DJ_McCann

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

It's not what the kids did... it's what Pitino's own staff did... guys who work for Pitino provided the hookers....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

Would it be a non-story if the coach was handing out wads of cash to these players? Even ignoring the prostitution aspect of it, that's a bit more than a "recruiting violation", right?

But he wasn't handing out wads of cash.

He was getting guys laid to try and convince them to come to school...different kind of payment.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

He was getting guys laid to try and convince them to come to school...different kind of payment.

Point is the same, it's more than a recruiting violation. 

Seems like he would have been fired already if he was going to be fired.   Definitely would be fired if he wasn't Pitino.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Still payment. Direct from a member of the coaching staff to a prospective player. Doesn't matter under NCAA regs whether it's cash, women, drugs, Beanie Babies or anything else. It's a payment to encourage joining that program, and that's a big no-no.

It doesn't even matter that other schools may be or are doing the same things. Louisville--and Pitino--employed the guy stupid enough to bring in other people and make it easier to get caught.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=