#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

Why is this a story

Because it breaks the rules, its sickening, involves Nat'l championship players, now NBA players, and coaches and players claim that the accusations are false.

Just because it probably happens in most places doesn't make it right, or less newsworthy.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

This will cost Pitino his job and I don't see it as a big deal.

Morally it may be shitty but I think you can say that about college athletics as a whole.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

This will cost Pitino his job and I don't see it as a big deal.

Morally it may be shitty but I think you can say that about college athletics as a whole.

Why do you feel its not a big deal? Just curious.

Agree on your second statement. Its shitty, and words like morality and ethical cant possibly be used in the same sentace as college athletics.
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

Why do you feel its not a big deal? Just curious.

Agree on your second statement. Its shitty, and words like morality and ethical cant possibly be used in the same sentace as college athletics.

It's getting guys laid. Big deal.

I mean, if they don't hire strippers, they have students do it. What is in it for those girls? Who knows. Maybe the college takes care of their books, helps them with grades, pays them, gives them a better dorm room or maybe the girls just hope they can latch onto a player who ends up
making it big.

Either way, however it's done, everyone is getting out of it what they want.

I just don't see how this is something to be worried about and make such a big deal about it.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

This goes back to what I have said recently about the US being uptight about things. If this happened in other countries(and I'm sure it does), it would be looked at as no big deal. But the US gets so uptight when it comes to sex and partying.

Every one of us on this site would have loved to have been recruited by a big time school and had stuff like this happen to us.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

This goes back to what I have said recently about the US being uptight about things. If this happened in other countries(and I'm sure it does), it would be looked at as no big deal. But the US gets so uptight when it comes to sex and partying.

Every one of us on this site would have loved to have been recruited by a big time school and had stuff like this happen to us.

Had Louisville simply brought the recruits on campus, and matched them with a current player... and told the player to show the recruit college life...  the recruit could have had a good time.

When the program is actively buying that good time, it just feels a bit different to me.

• mweb08 and Mackus like this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

Why is this a story

I wouldn't have any problem with this if the players on the team organized it for themselves.

The coaches (or grad assistants, who are effectively coaching interns) hiring strippers for underaged recruits is a big problem, though.  Imagine if a high school principal was buying strippers and booze for their football team.  This is effectively the same except even worse because these coaches are trying to coerce these kids to come to their school with these enticements.  Remember, these are recruits we are talking about.  Kids that commit when they are often only 16 or 17.

• mweb08 likes this

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

Had Louisville simply brought the recruits on campus, and matched them with a current player... and told the player to show the recruit college life...  the recruit could have had a good time.

When the program is actively buying that good time, it just feels a bit different to me.

Bingo.

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

It's getting guys laid. Big deal.

I mean, if they don't hire strippers, they have students do it. What is in it for those girls? Who knows. Maybe the college takes care of their books, helps them with grades, pays them, gives them a better dorm room or maybe the girls just hope they can latch onto a player who ends upmaking it big.

Either way, however it's done, everyone is getting out of it what they want.

I just don't see how this is something to be worried about and make such a big deal about it.

Its more than guys getting laid. Its solicitation of prostitution which is illegal. At least one of which was 17 and in high school (although the age of consent in Kentucky is 16...still gross).

Whats in it for the girls? Maybe they didnt get help with their grades, maybe they dont get a better dorm room. You're speculating that they get something out of it too. All we know they get is some cash in the most degrading way possible. The only positive is the girls consented, so they cant say they were forced to sleep with ball players. (Trust me. I dont feel bad for strippers. They make more money than I ever will).

Does everyone get what they want? If the girls really do want to sleep with recruits...then I guess so. Were girls lining up to sleep with Diamond Stone to get him to come here? Is that a priority for them? Whoring themselves out for a better basketball team and $100 in their pocket? Maybe Zack would know.

Solicitation of prostitution to get better recruits cant be allowed and Pitino should be canned.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Ehh, I don't care if they are buying it or not. One way or another, it is getting set up.

I don't disagree that there is a moral issue here(as with all college athletics) and if that's enough for you to feel that this should be a big story, fine.

But to me, there is a separation of the morality of things and just how newsworthy and big of a deal this is.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

Yea I mean, prostitution is against the law and they broke that.

But it's stupid that it's against the law imo, so that's probably why I don't feel it's as big a deal.

And yes, that may be wrong for me to pick and choose what law I think it's worth a damn but I'm cool with that.

This is harmless. There is no victim here.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

Lol

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

But it's stupid that it's against the law imo, so that's probably why I don't feel it's as big a deal.

And yes, that may be wrong for me to pick and choose what law I think it's worth a damn but I'm cool with that.

I agree in general with this.  If the kids on the team were organizing all of this themselves like a frat would, and if all the women are consenting, I've got no moral issues with it.

But the coaching staff setting it up is a huge line in the sand which shouldn't be crossed.  Len Bias OD-ing on coke was bad, could you imagine if a Terps assistant had bought the coke for him?  It's an exponentially worse story because it's the guys running the program who are providing this not only to team members but to recruits.  And even if the age of consent in Kentucky is 16, are all the kids they are recruiting from Kentucky?  I'm not sure, but I imagine that you can't take a 17 year-old kid from a state where the age of consent is 18 across state lines to a place where the age is 16, have sex with them, and then send them home and not be in danger of violating statutory rape laws.  In fact that sounds much more like a federal crime to me, but that could certainly be way wrong as I'm no lawyer.

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Maryland is the victim. They could have used a Montrezl Harrell and a Peyton Siva if they lacked a moral compass.

But seriously. I get your point. I wish the US wasnt so up tight about sex and drugs. But I also hope that if I have a daughter, she doesnt sleep around to make a buck. That comes back to how people raise their kids and thats a whole different discussion.

I get your point. But take the sex out of it, its a recruiting violation. And Louisville should pay the price. As high profile as Louisville and their coach is, committing a recruiting violation is what makes it newsworthy. Had this happend at Idaho State...probably not newsworthy on a national level.
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

This story isn't going to get national attention because it's a recruiting violation. No one cares about that angle.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

Maryland is the victim. They could have used a Montrezl Harrell and a Peyton Siva if they lacked a moral compass.

But seriously. I get your point. I wish the US wasnt so up tight about sex and drugs. But I also hope that if I have a daughter, she doesnt sleep around to make a buck. That comes back to how people raise their kids and thats a whole different discussion.

I get your point. But take the sex out of it, its a recruiting violation. And Louisville should pay the price. As high profile as Louisville and their coach is, committing a recruiting violation is what makes it newsworthy. Had this happend at Idaho State...probably not newsworthy on a national level.

And btw, maybe MD did try this and the girls weren't as good? :)

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

NBCSports: Louisville student sues Katina Powell, book publisher

Louisville sophomore Kyle Nicole Hornback’s argument is that the book has tarnished the reputation of the school and thus decreased the value of a Louisville degree.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

• Chris B likes this
@DJ_McCann

#20 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

Love that they're sending two transfers and Pitino is advised not to go to ACC Media Day next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=