Photo

BSL: Who Should Be Maryland’s Next Head Coach?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#21 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

I'm sure Mark Turgeon was thrilled to see the basketball program put aside so easily.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

I'm sure Mark Turgeon was thrilled to see the basketball program put aside so easily.

Yeah, another thing everyone knows.... but fairly odd to state out loud.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#23 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

I agree with you Chris, that Loh did say things publically that were quite unusual in their frankness and should have been worded a bit differently, however, overall It was refreshing and brings me closer to understanding the mindset of the man in charge. I like what I heard and am even more excited about the future after watching that.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

The basketball comment wasn't a big deal to me. I think he knows UM will continue to be a basketball school. He's just acknowledging the obvious, that they are in a football conference and that MD needs to step up its football game. And it makes perfect sense to want to....the untapped revenue potential is much greater for football than basketball. No reason at all both programs can't be successful, if you are willing to make that commitment.

Same with the Byrd comment. The players don't care about skyboxes, club levels and chair back seats with cupholders.....it's not like they're ever going to sit in them. The only thing they probably want from Byrd is a spacious locker room and for the stadium to be full (of Terps fans) and loud on gamedays. And if they win, that will happen. It was mostly that way in the early years of the Fridge era, and the place was as decrepit then as it is now.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

I don't know, is Byrd really that decrepit? There are obviously nicer stadiums, but I feel like it's not so bad. The Tyser Tower obviously helps a lot, and they've made some nice changes over the years (video board on the closed end, LED ribbon displays on both sides of the field, etc.). Seating isn't great, many of the bleachers are falling apart (maybe that's just in the student section since we stand and jump on them, though).

But I recognize there are upgrades that would be nice to make. Bigger video board (at least on one end of the stadium) would be nice. And a nicer sound system would be good. Ohio Stadium's sound system really struck me, it made a big difference. Byrd's is really bad. In a perfect world, I'd like to see them get rid of the 3rd deck and just extend the Mezzanine around to the Tower. But that's not going to happen. I don't know, I like Byrd.

@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football could make run at Eagles coach Chip Kelly, per report

http://www.testudoti...elly-per-report

Don Markus knows what he's talking about. Loh's comments seem to suggest that no coach is out of the question.

​Testudo Times: Former Maryland QB Neil O'Donnell wants Terps to hire Frank Reich as head coach

http://www.testudoti...-frank-reich-as

This is very, very unlikely.

@BSLZackKiesel

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

They're gonna be able to attract a name guy. I don't think it'll be Kelly but it'll be a guy who fits the profile Anderson and Loh want. It's an exciting time to be a Terps football fan finally. Even if it's not on the field.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

I actually think Kelly is fine in Philly and will end up staying there. If he does leave, I think we have a shot.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

I don't know, is Byrd really that decrepit? There are obviously nicer stadiums, but I feel like it's not so bad. The Tyser Tower obviously helps a lot, and they've made some nice changes over the years (video board on the closed end, LED ribbon displays on both sides of the field, etc.). Seating isn't great, many of the bleachers are falling apart (maybe that's just in the student section since we stand and jump on them, though).

But I recognize there are upgrades that would be nice to make. Bigger video board (at least on one end of the stadium) would be nice. And a nicer sound system would be good. Ohio Stadium's sound system really struck me, it made a big difference. Byrd's is really bad. In a perfect world, I'd like to see them get rid of the 3rd deck and just extend the Mezzanine around to the Tower. But that's not going to happen. I don't know, I like Byrd.

I don't mind Byrd too much myself. That said, I think it's what people said about Boston Garden, "It was a dump, but it was our dump."n 

@levineps

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

Frank Reich.

Don't know who it will be, but they are shooting big.

@JeremyMStrain

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

One of my favorite places to watch football was the old Orange Bowl. You could almost feel the mystique from all the historically notable games that were played there. And yet, that place was a far bigger dump than Byrd. Amenities and comfort are nice. But the best stadium memories have nothing to do with how big the seats are, how wide the concourses are, and how short the concession lines are. (Shorter bathroom lines, on the other hand, always score high marks from me)

• Markus likes this

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Sure. The Orange Bowl is historic and a dump. Byrd is not historic and a dump. Which makes it just a dump.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,773 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

Sure. The Orange Bowl is historic and a dump. Byrd is not historic and a dump. Which makes it just a dump.

I got laid at Byrd Stadium one time.  Who says it's not historic?

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

What I like about Kelly (as unlikely a target as he is) isn't his offense or that he's a big name. I like that he's never afraid to challenge the conventional methods if there are better ways of doing things, and that the worst reason to continue to do something is strictly because "that's the way it's always been done." And based on the success he had at Oregon, it seemed to work, at least at the college level. I'm willing to be patient with someone who wants to try something different if there is sound reasoning behind it. And like I said before, when you look at some of the things UM plans to do in the new Cole facility, that sort of stuff is right in Kelly's wheelhouse.

I don't know how much of Chip's approach Scott Frost picked up while they worked together, but if he wants to adapt that approach too, great....all the more reason I'd like to have him.

#35 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

I got laid at Byrd Stadium one time.  Who says it's not historic?

Gonna need the full story here bud.

@fuzydunlop

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Yeah... sounds made up.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Yeah... sounds made up.

Mack being Mack.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,773 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

What, nobody else lived on North Campus?  Everybody used to sneak into Byrd late at night while drunk.  It's like swimming in the fountain on the Mall.  You gotta do it once before you graduate.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

The Kiffin rumors need to die. That guy is a wreck.

http://www.foxsports...at-index-101315

• Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

What, nobody else lived on North Campus?  Everybody used to sneak into Byrd late at night while drunk.  It's like swimming in the fountain on the Mall.  You gotta do it once before you graduate.

Didn't go there drunk, but went once with my roommates after a snowstorm to watch them sled down the steps.

They were most-likely drunk.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=