Photo

BSL: Who Should Be Maryland’s Next Head Coach?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

http://baltimorespor...ext-head-coach/

Thoughts from... Stewart Mandel (FOX Sports), Tom Luginbill (ESPN), Steven Lassan (Athlon Sports), Chris Landry (Landry Football), and Chip Patterson (CBS Sports)... maybe some additional writers / analysts later.

Updated to include thoughts of Brandon Pertner (Brandon Pertner's CFB Preview, previously with Phil Steele Publications).

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

Testudo Times: Every single coach Maryland could hire to replace Randy Edsall

http://www.testudoti...all-replacement

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

Among the most realistic candidates (and I get that "realistic" is all about perspective) on that Testudo Times list, I like Herman and Stitt the most, followed by Campbell. Others of interest to me are Fuente, Babers and Durkin. 

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

Some re-treads on that list I really hope they stay away from (I threw up in my mouth when I read Cameron's name). I think they are at least going to try and shoot for the moon at first (go ahead and assume the exploratory call to Chip Kelly will be made, and immediately declined). And when that doesn't work I really hope they do their homework on some of the younger names.

One name on that list that I never thought of did intrigue me.....Kyle Whittingham. He's a defensive guy, and I'd prefer an offensive mind, but he has bonafide success at both levels of FBS, so if he brings in the right OC, I'd be on board.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

And this is one of the reasons I advocated moving on from Edsall now rather than waiting until after the season. Obviously they can't talk directly to most of these guys now (I want no part of the currently unemployed ones). But at least they don't have to make it a big secret that they are shopping for a coach, and want to quietly turn over a stone or two right now to narrow down the list, and then move immediately to interviews once the season is over.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Maybe a better question is, who do you expect to be the HC?

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

I want Scott Frost. But it's probably more likely that they grab a guy with an exciting offensive background who is a head coach at a smaller school. I'd love to get Tom Herman or Chad Morris, but they've been at their respective schools for only one year. I also wouldn't mind P.J. Fleck, but he doesn't have the explosive offense that Kevin Anderson is looking for. I suppose Dino Babers could be an option, but I'm not a fan of this whole "promote the next hot MAC coach" because that rarely works out. Latest example is Darrell Hazell. Leads Kent State to a big MAC year and then goes to Purdue and does...nothing.

They also want to go young, so a guy like Jeff Tedford won't be considered. Plus his offense is not what Anderson is looking for either. Way too complex, needs a type of quarterback that is very difficult to recruit in this area of the country. Plus his "quarterback development" outside of Aaron Rodgers has sucked. Basically he develops these kids with bad mechanics and NFL coaches have to try to remedy them.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I want Scott Frost. But it's probably more likely that they grab a guy with an exciting offensive background who is a head coach at a smaller school. I'd love to get Tom Herman or Chad Morris, but they've been at their respective schools for only one year. I also wouldn't mind P.J. Fleck, but he doesn't have the explosive offense that Kevin Anderson is looking for. I suppose Dino Babers could be an option, but I'm not a fan of this whole "promote the next hot MAC coach" because that rarely works out. Latest example is Darrell Hazell. Leads Kent State to a big MAC year and then goes to Purdue and does...nothing.

They also want to go young, so a guy like Jeff Tedford won't be considered. Plus his offense is not what Anderson is looking for either. Way too complex, needs a type of quarterback that is very difficult to recruit in this area of the country. Plus his "quarterback development" outside of Aaron Rodgers has sucked. Basically he develops these kids with bad mechanics and NFL coaches have to try to remedy them.

Frost or Montgomery would be my favorites.

I think Tedford is more interesting (and has worked with plenty of QBs) than you say above... but whatever. I like what he did at Cal, but unlike some of those polled, I see value in going with an Assistant. The idea of a clean slate, can build his own resume here.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Someone with power conference football experience. But young and exciting.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

http://baltimorespor...ext-head-coach/

Thoughts from... Stewart Mandel (FOX Sports), Tom Luginbill (ESPN), Steven Lassan (Athlon Sports), and Chris Landry (Landry Football)... maybe some additional writers / analysts later.

Updated to include thoughts of Chip Patterson (CBS Sports).

• Greg Pappas likes this

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland has more resources to hire football coach this time, President says

http://www.baltimore...1012-story.html

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Spurrier retiring...another quality HC job open.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland has more resources to hire football coach this time, President says

http://www.baltimore...1012-story.html

What did he say? I couldn't stop looking at the bowtie.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

What did he say? I couldn't stop looking at the bowtie.

Here is a summation from IMS...

http://maryland.247s...es-Now-40207220

He's an intelligent guy obviously... but some of those comments seem odd to state publicly.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

Loh shot straight. I loved what he had to say...

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

Loh shot straight. I loved what he had to say...

I liked his intent and general message... but his comments on Byrd, and mentioning Kelly as he did are odd at best imo.

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:18 PM

Byrd Stadium sucks. He's just telling the truth.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

Sure, and everyone knows it.. but saying it unsolicited is odd. Not a big deal though / at all. Overall message definitely more important.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:42 PM

That's why we love Wally. He's a straight shooter and very transparent. It's awesome to have a President and an Athletic Director who want to put a big emphasis on football. And for anyone who has ever heard Loh's story, it's impossible not to root for the guy. From the slums of China to the President of the University of Maryland. Doesn't get much better than that.

@BSLZackKiesel

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

I never heard a college prez talk like that... refreshing...

• Greg Pappas likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=