232 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

Locksley is proof, at least in football, that you can't just have a great recruiter calling plays and having a big influence on a game. Probably a little different in basketball.

I just disagree that the UConn stuff was that big of an accomplishment. He beat no one there in a weak conference.

#22 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

I just disagree that the UConn stuff was that big of an accomplishment. He beat no one there in a weak conference.

Certainly seems to be the case looking back, but I have a hard time believing the Big East was so much behind the rest of the nation at that time.  Weaker than the rest of the power conferences, yes.  But not so much that a coach whose teams have looked as inept as MD has in recent memory could be successful there.

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:28 PM

SBNation: RANDY EDSALL GOES TO THE MOVIES

http://www.everydays...s-to-the-movies

• Markus likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Sounds like an Ernest movie. You know...

"Ernest goes to the movies"
  • Markus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

In many cases, one's oratory abilities (or lack thereof) is no indication of how well they can do their job. This is often the case for football coaches. Randy Edsall is obviously a notable exception. In addition to paying him any contractually guaranteed money still due, I think UM could go a step further when they fire him and help him launch his next career. He fits the mold of a Comcast customer service representative perfectly....the university needs to leverage their existing relationship with the company to get Edsall an internship.

#26 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Some of the comments there had me rolling.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Not much more to add to this thread. I suggest we try to lighten things up with Inspirational Randy Edsall Movie Quotes.

"There's no place like home!"

"Uh, coach, your record at Byrd Stadium against FBS teams is just 6-18."

"Never tell me the odds!"

#28 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:10 PM

What does Edsall have to do to get fired? Kevin Anderson embarrasses and does a disservice to, himself and the University that he owes his job too, by keeping Edsall. Every day Edsall remains is another dampener to what was supposed to be the dawn of an exciting new era in Maryland Football. 

• Switch to B1G? Check.
  • Commit $155 to seriously upgrade the facilities? Check.
  • Have a well-respected (and preferably dynamic) head coach and staff to lead this resurgence? Uhhhhhhh..... 

The University has A LOT riding on the football program. If Anderson doesn't fix this, then Loh should show him the door. 

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

It would still not surprise me if the Athletic Department decides to keep Edsall through next year simply due to the much cheaper buy-out. Not saying it's the right move (I'd prefer to see them fire him ASAP), but it's not unlikely. It's the unfortunate reality of Maryland football.

Oh, and Anderson isn't going anywhere. The majority of Maryland's athletic programs are top-notch both athletically and academically. You don't fire an Athletic Director for one sport. Overall, big picture, Anderson has been a very successful AD, especially after the mess that Debbie Yow left him to deal with.

@BSLZackKiesel

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

If you decide you want to take football seriously, then that sport is how you judge the AD.

I'm seriously done. There are so many better options to spend 3 hours of my Saturday's in the fall than to continue watching a program that, by their actions, don't give two shits about the product. The next game I'll watch will be game 1 in the post Randy Edsall era.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

And in reality... Miller is more proven and the better coach than Turgeon... and it's well documented that KA fucked that up. Now, sometimes you fuck up and it works out. That doesn't mean you didn't fuck up. The two sports that matter, he screwed the pooch. He's not a good AD. He needs to go with Edsall.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:04 PM

And in reality... Miller is more proven and the better coach than Turgeon... and it's well documented that KA fucked that up. Now, sometimes you fuck up and it works out. That doesn't mean you didn't fuck up. The two sports that matter, he screwed the pooch. He's not a good AD. He needs to go with Edsall.

I'm giving Anderson some slack. He's got the athletics on track. Yes, the football is messed up, but I look at the baseball program for example. Never ever thought they would have a solid program. A lot of other sports too. Doing a lot of good things.

I read an article this morning on the basketball program and the positive affect UA is having for them. It noted that at the time MD moved from Nike to UA it was a risk and is said to have played a factor in missing on Miller. So, I'm not as harsh on missing on him anymore too. We'll see how Turge does coaching a lot of talent this year but he's done everything right so far in the last 2 years. I'm still skeptical of Anderson. A year ago I would have never wanted him making the next football hire, now I'm probably willing. The thing is, Plank is going to have a big role in bringing in the next guy too.

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:21 AM

Could Edsall be reassigned within the Athletic Department and work out the last year before his buyout? Like, name him an assistant AD (nominally) in charge of field hockey and then hire the new guy? Or is his contract solely to be the head coach of the football team?

@DJ_McCann

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:17 AM

It would still not surprise me if the Athletic Department decides to keep Edsall through next year simply due to the much cheaper buy-out. Not saying it's the right move (I'd prefer to see them fire him ASAP), but it's not unlikely. It's the unfortunate reality of Maryland football.

Oh, and Anderson isn't going anywhere. The majority of Maryland's athletic programs are top-notch both athletically and academically. You don't fire an Athletic Director for one sport. Overall, big picture, Anderson has been a very successful AD, especially after the mess that Debbie Yow left him to deal with.

Plenty of ADs especially at more football prevalent schools get fired over one sport. You have 1-2 sports that can be revenue generators.

They can win all the men's soccer, women's field hockey, men's/women's lacrosse, even baseball championships. Yet those programs won't cause a dent financially the same way that football can. Who is buying suites for these games? Look at these TV contracts. Any Olympics sports coach at a major school will tell you if football is doing bad, they are doing bad since that's the lifeblood of any successful sports program.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

Could Edsall be reassigned within the Athletic Department and work out the last year before his buyout? Like, name him an assistant AD (nominally) in charge of field hockey and then hire the new guy? Or is his contract solely to be the head coach of the football team?

MD has a decent Field Hockey program. Why do you want him to ruin that too?

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Could Frank Reich be the next head coach? He's the Chargers OC, just like Ralph Friedgen was before coming back to the college ranks. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#37 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Could Frank Reich be the next head coach? He's the Chargers OC, just like Ralph Friedgen was before coming back to the college ranks. 

One of my friends had mentioned him, but he's in line to be an NFL head coach very soon. But he'd certainly be an intriguing option.

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

InsideMDSports: Edsall Addresses Job Security at Maryland

http://maryland.247s...ryland-40023126

@BSLZackKiesel

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

Everytime I see a post in this thread I think they finally pulled the trigger.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

One of my friends had mentioned him, but he's in line to be an NFL head coach very soon. But he'd certainly be an intriguing option.

His daughter is one of my sister's best friends.  Don't think he'll be coming back to coach in college, as you said he's likely to get an NFL head coaching gig soon (that's just my speculation, not implying I know anything because of that very tangential connection).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=