Photo

Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore?

1. No (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Yes (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. It does, and I'll believe it's on both sides (like I said I just don't see it this way myself) but I do know there are d-bag fans in the DC area that could be like that too. Jones talked about it tonight that there were even fights in the stands.

I just think that's really stupid personally.
@JeremyMStrain

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. It does, and I'll believe it's on both sides (like I said I just don't see it this way myself) but I do know there are d-bag fans in the DC area that could be like that too. Jones talked about it tonight that there were even fights in the stands.

I just think that's really stupid personally.

I've been to a bunch of the games in both Baltimore and DC including two earlier this year in DC, I can't recall it ever really getting out-of-hand, just a lot of good ribbing at each other. From the reports, it sounded like the Nats had a presence but it was nowhere near what the O's got in DC. Anyways I'm planning on going tomorrow, i'll be on the lookout.
@levineps

#43 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

Before I vote, can the original poster define what he means by "support"?

I would love for Baltimore to get a 3rd pro team, whether basketball or hockey, but I don't think they ever will. Even if they did, I am skeptical whether it would last long. They haven't been able to manage to keep an AHL team, let alone an NHL or NBA team.

That having been said, I am living out of the States, so I would not be attending games. I would be unlikely to be purchasing merchandise either. So my support would be limited to rooting for the team to do well. And given my skepticism about its long term prospects, even then I'd be guarded in how much of a buy-in I'd provide in terms of my support - I wouldn't, for example, root for the new team to the exclusion of the Blues, who I root for now. I might root for the new team instead of my secondary team, which is the Caps (only because I need someone to root for in the East).

So is that really considered "support"?

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#44 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yeah this is what I've been pushing for too. Move the AHL back to Bmore, and change Hershey to BMore as an affiliate. HEAVEN.

Meant to reply to this the other day, but I got sidetracked. This would be a great move if it ever happen. I'm not saying leave Hershey without an AHL team as they clearly love their minor league hockey, but getting an AHL team in Baltimore and having that team be the Caps affiliate would be great. Ted clearly wants to grow the Baltimore market and what better way to do that than have an AHL team here. I mean how cool would it be to watch these guys down in Baltimore than head over to the phone booth and see them play over there when they get the call to play for the Caps!

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Unfortunately the Flyers' AHL affiliate is building a new arena in Allentown. Otherwise, a trade between the Capitals and the Flyers where the Philadelphia club receives Hershey and the Caps get that franchise would work perfectly.

#46 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Main concern is where would they play? 1st Mariner Arena has already proven that it can't host hockey, and the seating capacity is far too low.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Main concern is where would they play? 1st Mariner Arena has already proven that it can't host hockey, and the seating capacity is far too low.

A new arena is the only option and even if that happened, I still think the odds are stacked against the NHL coming to Baltimore.
@levineps

#48 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

A new arena is the only option and even if that happened, I still think the odds are stacked against the NHL coming to Baltimore.

I would probably go to some games. I imagine if Baltimore got an NHL team, I'd feel the same way Orioles fans near DC felt when the Nationals came.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

It isn't that it CAN'T host hockey, because it did for many, many years. It is just not an option for an NHL team, and really too out-of-date for a high-level minor-league team.

If the new arena end up under-construction, I could see a team willing to move in for a season if it were necessary to arrive right away, but more than that is likely impossible.

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

I mean it's fine if you don't want to support the most local team you have just because it's in DC and not Bmore, but that attitude is what is ruining sports around here in general. The Ravens fans that HATE the Redskins even though they were Redskins fans in the 90s. The Nats fans that HATE the O's for whatever stupid reason. It's all STUPID to me and kinda makes me sick honestly. You live 40 minutes away from that team, they are in separate leagues and you rarely play each other, it wouldn't kill you to at least be neutral to them.

Sorry...rant over.

Back to the point. The Caps are getting by solely on bandwagon fans right now, and when they start buying Redskins and Nats tix again, they will be back to barely supporting a team. There is NO WAY you can put a 2nd franchise that close and have either one compete, so for not having TWO terrible hockey teams around I would NEVER support a 2nd hockey team here (and to a lesser degree basketball too, but I don't care much about them).

We are one metro area, not two completely different cities. We share the same suburbs, I don't know why people insist on making things Wash vs. Bmore.

A lot of what you say is true, but I do not believe many Raven fans were Redskins fans in the 80's and 90's. Many of us felt like the Redskins were jammed down our throats and others including me felt like Cooke and his buddy Paul Tagliabue conspired to keep the NFL out of Baltimore.
I agree with most of the other things you mentioned. The NFL attracts fans greater than other sports so it can survive. The Orioles clearly have been hurt by baseball in DC but baseball if both teams are good will be fine.
THe NBA and NHL, IMO, no way, plus part of support is a good facility and the climate is not ripe for one here, so no Baltimore can not support the NHL.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=