Photo

Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support an NHL franchise in Baltimore?

1. No (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Yes (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I would not support a hockey team. I'm not switching from the Caps.

BTW, I could t agree more with AS about the stupid DC/BMore thing. As a Ravens and O's fan, I have no ill will towards the Skins or Nats, and as a Wizards/Caps fan, I would have no ill will towards any NHL or NBA team in Baltimore.

Wouldn't this be disagreeing with allstar?

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Wouldn't this be disagreeing with allstar?

AS said this, this is what I'm in agreement with:

I mean it's fine if you don't want to support the most local team you have just because it's in DC and not Bmore, but that attitude is what is ruining sports around here in general. The Ravens fans that HATE the Redskins even though they were Redskins fans in the 90s. The Nats fans that HATE the O's for whatever stupid reason. It's all STUPID to me and kinda makes me sick honestly. You live 40 minutes away from that team, they are in separate leagues and you rarely play each other, it wouldn't kill you to at least be neutral to them.

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Gotcha. We've been talking about so many points about this topic, I got confused.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Gotcha. We've been talking about so many points about this topic, I got confused.

I hear ya, happens to me all the time.

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

My bad, my rant got things all off topic.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

And to the point of Mets/Yankees fan, sure they might pick one over the other, but they don't HATE the one that they don't choose.

Depends on your definition of "hate." It's a strong word. But I would say they're are plenty who strongly dislike the *other* team. Ditto with Cubs/White Sox fans and to a lesser extent Giants/A's fans and Dodgers/Angels fans.
@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

The disdain Baltimore has/had for DC and the Redskins predates the Ravens, JKC's objections to Baltimore's efforts to win an expansion team in the early 90's, and even Baltimore being force-fed Redskins games on TV after the Colts left. It goes back to when the Baltimore Colts of the All-American Football Conference were supposed to be merged into the NFL. Then-Redskins owner George Preston Marshall objected, for the same reason any owner of a team in one city objects to a team taking up residence in the other. Marhsall eventually relented after being paid compensation. When the original Colts team folded after the 1950 season and the Dallas Texans wanted to relocate to Baltimore in 1953, Marshall again objected. This time he relented after insisting that the Colts remain in the NFL's Western Division (where they played in Dallas). This obviously made for a more challenging road schedule for the Colts, since they were travelling annually to the west coast. Many Baltimore fans never forgot that.

Also, a compensation deal for the Senators was arranged when Jerold Hoffberger brought the Orioles to Baltimore in 1954. It involved Hoffberger purchasing advertising with the Senators for his brewery.

While the stakes have gotten larger over the years (MASN, and JKC getting local infrastructure improvements rubber-stamped by the state for his stadium) pro sports franchises wanting to protect their territory is nothing new.

Love this post. You see it with the A's/Giants as well, which ironically the Giants only got when they *thinking* about moving to San Jose, which never happened and now are using it so the A's don't move there. It's a business, I know Angelos gets knocked on this one and I've defended him on this only because he's trying to protect his territory, like any other businessman would do.
@levineps

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

I feel this has become a discussion of the fandom rules. I don't think fans should be forced to "accept" the new kid in town so to speak even only being *neutral.* I don't hate the Nats, but I get a little extra satisfaction of beating them, only topped by our division rivals. Many in DC don't like Baltimore sports and vice versa, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Just because they are close, doesn't mean you have to support them or stay neutral.
@levineps

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I feel this has become a discussion of the fandom rules. I don't think fans should be forced to "accept" the new kid in town so to speak even only being *neutral.* I don't hate the Nats, but I get a little extra satisfaction of beating them, only topped by our division rivals. Many in DC don't like Baltimore sports and vice versa, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Just because they are close, doesn't mean you have to support them or stay neutral.

No, but it makes you a little bit hypocritical that you support the hometown team so much yet look down on the other team like that.

I don't know ONE single DC fan that strongly dislikes any Bmore teams. The response is always, I don't mind the team, they aren't a rival and aren't in our division, but man some of their fans are d-bags. I've only seen it from Bmore towards DC.

Even last night...some examples from my FB feed: "You suck Hardy, man was that a nice catch", "Come on Nats, one game in the hole, let's tie it up tomorrow. Great game Hammel", "Can't lose no matter who you root for, great baseball. #battleofthebeltways"

These are some big time Nats fans too.
@JeremyMStrain

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I don't know ONE single DC fan that strongly dislikes any Bmore teams. The response is always, I don't mind the team, they aren't a rival and aren't in our division, but man some of their fans are d-bags. I've only seen it from Bmore towards DC.

Really?
@levineps

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Really?

Yes really.
@JeremyMStrain

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yes really.

I'd talk to a few more lifelong Washingtonians, the Baltimore hate is there on their end in many cases.
@levineps

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'd talk to a few more lifelong Washingtonians, the Baltimore hate is there on their end in many cases.

Yeah, I'm with O85 on this one - AS, perhaps you're lucky for knowing decent people, but I have plenty of DC area acquaintances who are huge douche bags about anything Baltimore. I think it irritates them that I refuse to play that game, and am instead very neutral towards DC. (And a Caps/Wizards fan at that)

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, I'm with O85 on this one - AS, perhaps you're lucky for knowing decent people, but I have plenty of DC area acquaintances who are huge douche bags about anything Baltimore. I think it irritates them that I refuse to play that game, and am instead very neutral towards DC. (And a Caps/Wizards fan at that)

I've grown up in the DC suburbs outside the beltway, and have really just never seen that kinda stuff out of them. Mostly because not many of them are baseball fans at all, and the football fans are hardcore Skins fans, who hate Dallas, NYG, and PHI, but are really indifferent when it comes to other conference teams. So I dunno, sorry if you guys had to deal with some anti-bmore stuff, but here it's all Maryland and even if it's not our team, we don't root against them.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I've grown up in the DC suburbs outside the beltway, and have really just never seen that kinda stuff out of them. Mostly because not many of them are baseball fans at all, and the football fans are hardcore Skins fans, who hate Dallas, NYG, and PHI, but are really indifferent when it comes to other conference teams. So I dunno, sorry if you guys had to deal with some anti-bmore stuff, but here it's all Maryland and even if it's not our team, we don't root against them.

I hear ya. The folks i'm referencing are more from northern MoCo or the Frederick area. They've had to deal with more Ravens fever which could be why they've developed an inferiority complex and are douche bags.

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but how many people in Baltimore truly became Redskins fans after the Colts left? I don't remember any particular affection for that team during that period (though to be fair I was still pretty young and wasn't a serious football fan yet). I've met WAY more Steelers fans, and even those who remained loyal to the Colts, than anyone who ever was a 'Skins fan before turning to the Ravens.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but how many people in Baltimore truly became Redskins fans after the Colts left? I don't remember any particular affection for that team during that period (though to be fair I was still pretty young and wasn't a serious football fan yet). I've met WAY more Steelers fans, and even those who remained loyal to the Colts, than anyone who ever was a 'Skins fan before turning to the Ravens.

I was young also, but I keep hearing stories on how everyone had "their" team after the Colts left and almost none of them involve the Redskins. A lot of them seem to involve the Dolphins and to a lesser extent, Broncos. Big thing is football was only gone for a dozen years, baseball was gone from DC for a dozen years. I think another thing is that since football has a national contract, even if DC got preferential treatment, it's easier to follow other teams.
@levineps

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I hear ya. The folks i'm referencing are more from northern MoCo or the Frederick area. They've had to deal with more Ravens fever which could be why they've developed an inferiority complex and are douche bags.

Ah, I know what you are talking about there. More Steelers fans than Ravens OR Redskins fans up that way. Wife is from Germantown so we lived there for 4 years before moving back here, and I was always astounded by the number of Steelers bars in the area. Glory Days, The Flaming Pit, and there was another big one I can't remember now. Redskins had Hard Times, but even there you'd see a mix.

Don't blame us entirely for those "fans" those are the same ones that now have Caps tix and think that a Diamond Pentalty Kill is what happens when you propose and it's not big enough.

I live about 5 miles from the stadium, and aside from the Dallas fans that have never been to Texas, it's generally friendly Redskins fans in these parts. We'd make fun of random team fans (DAL, SF, NYG, PHI) but if we run across BAL fans it's generally good luck...unless we have to play you kind of response. Most of us keep tabs on BAL, they are from MD, and we live 35 miles (at least I do) from the Ravens stadium, another team or not, I think it's stupid to hate a team so close to home, especially one you play every 4 years and only if you make the Super Bowl.
@JeremyMStrain

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think it's stupid to hate a team so close to home, especially one you play every 4 years and only if you make the Super Bowl.

I think it's much worse in NY or Chicago, since they are actually within city limits. Can you both a Jets and Giants fan, many would you say you can't. How about liking the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders? My dad grew up in NY when there were three MLB teams and the way he described it, everyone had "their" teams. Can you like both UNC and Duke? (I'm prepared for it's college so it's different type response... I know).

But there's a reason these rivalries get formed within such close proximity. I don't think it's stupid to hate a team close-by at all. I think it's only natural in many cases to get extra satisfaction, knowing that you have friends, colleagues, even family members who are rooting for the "other side." Just my two cents, I know you disagree, I just don't have a problem with a "civil war" so to speak in sports terms.
@levineps

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

I think it's much worse in NY or Chicago, since they are actually within city limits. Can you both a Jets and Giants fan, many would you say you can't. How about liking the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders? My dad grew up in NY when there were three MLB teams and the way he described it, everyone had "their" teams. Can you like both UNC and Duke? (I'm prepared for it's college so it's different type response... I know).

But there's a reason these rivalries get formed within such close proximity. I don't think it's stupid to hate a team close-by at all. I think it's only natural in many cases to get extra satisfaction, knowing that you have friends, colleagues, even family members who are rooting for the "other side." Just my two cents, I know you disagree, I just don't have a problem with a "civil war" so to speak in sports terms.

I think the distinction to be made is that in Hockey or Basketball, close teams would be in the same division/conference, as to with MLB/NFL, in our case, they hardly ever directly compete. There for it's just fans measuring their junk and pumping their chests for no good reason.

Don't get me wrong, I do get what you're saying, and see where you're coming from - but I think most of this feud stuff is pretty stupid in this area because there just isn't a reason for it. JMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=