45 replies to this topic

#21 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

So I got a keg of Natty Boh...still having foaming issues.

I'm thinking I might need a new coupler, longer beer line, and a new faucet.

My beer may not also be cold enough either.

Frustrating, and I hate wasting so much beer to get a decent pour since most of it comes out as foam.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

So I got a keg of Natty Boh...still having foaming issues.

I'm thinking I might need a new coupler, longer beer line, and a new faucet.

My beer may not also be cold enough either.

Frustrating, and I hate wasting so much beer to get a decent pour since most of it comes out as foam.

So, how's it adding up so far?  Are you glad you got a used one cheap that needs work?  Or do you wish you paid thru the nose for a better one?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

I wouldn't have paid $500 for one, and then $100 for a keg...too expensive when bottled and canned beer is still relatively cheap. And kegs don't really offer much of a cost savings...it's more about the freshness of the beer...

It's a learning process....and I am willing to tinker with it...I am going to run through a process of elimination and try to fix it.

One thing I saw recommended the most to fix foam was getting a longer beer line. I'll probably start there...but the parts that came with the set up may also need replacing.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

I figured out how to turn down the thermostat...took it apart and there's a screw inside that you can tighten to make the thermostat run colder. Apparently all fridge stats have them. So I did that, and the foam issue has gone away. The beer was too warm. I am pouring solid drafts now, at around 40-42 degrees. I wish it was a bit colder, but I'll take it.

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

I figured out how to turn down the thermostat...took it apart and there's a screw inside that you can tighten to make the thermostat run colder. Apparently all fridge stats have them. So I did that, and the foam issue has gone away. The beer was too warm. I am pouring solid drafts now, at around 40-42 degrees. I wish it was a bit colder, but I'll take it.

Are you sure it's as cold as you'll get?  It might be one of those 1/32nd of an inch things.  

Or are you just tired of eff'ing with it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

You're supposed to tighten screw up then back it out two turns. I supposed I could have done one turn but that's what the video I was using as a guide said to do. I may try it down the road but at this point I'm happy to have it where it is currently.

#27 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

You're supposed to tighten screw up then back it out two turns. I supposed I could have done one turn but that's what the video I was using as a guide said to do. I may try it down the road but at this point I'm happy to have it where it is currently.

Well, if you're happy, that's all that counts... 

If you ever get unhappy, I bet you've got room to optimize it some, especially since you've been dealing in just complete turns... if it was me, I'd see what a quarter-turn towards cold does... and then I'd see what another quarter-turn does... but if it was me, I probably wouldn't have gotten as far as you have   ;-)

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

Pouring perfect drafts now.

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

Just kicked my keg of Natty Boh over the weekend.

Looking to get a sixtel of something different for late winter/early spring...maybe Resurrection?

Any recommendations?

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

Well, my kegerator seems dead. Plugged it in to get cold overnight a month ago and came down in the morning and it was still warm. Read up on easy fixes, took the relay off of the compressor, sounded like it was bad (bad relays rattle when you shake them) so I ordered one off the internet and it just arrived yesterday. Plugged it in, still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

Buy beer that is supposed to be drank at room temperature?

Sorry man, sucks having projects go south on you.  Relay would've been my only suggestion, replaced the one on my fridge a couple years back when it went up and that did the trick for me.  If it's not the relay, then it's probably the compressor itself, right?  And if that's the case, you're probably better off starting over and buying a new (or another used CL) kegerator than trying to replace the compressor.

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

Buy beer that is supposed to be drank at room temperature?

Sorry man, sucks having projects go south on you.  Relay would've been my only suggestion, replaced the one on my fridge a couple years back when it went up and that did the trick for me.  If it's not the relay, then it's probably the compressor itself, right?  And if that's the case, you're probably better off starting over and buying a new (or another used CL) kegerator than trying to replace the compressor.

Yeah, it sucks. It was a free fridge and I only got to enjoy 2 kegs before it died.

I thought relay would have fixed the issue but it's completely dead now. Not going to replace compressor...too expensive and requires a professional. 

I have a standing freezer that has been sitting mostly empty for years, I am going to convert that into a two tap kegerator soon. I just hope that freezer doesn't die on me anytime soon. Probably going to take $250-$275 to convert it.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

Just bought a hard start kit. Essentially replaces the compressor relay, overload protector and capacitor. Seems to be a good quick, cheap fix for broken fridge so it's my last hope.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Good luck!

• NewMarketSean likes this

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Didn't work. Got power, and it sounded like it was running but the fridge never got cold and the compressor was burning hot. Must be bad. Looking to buy a used one on CL if anyone knows of anyone looking to sell one thats in decent shape.

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

Do you know if it's got freon?  Any clue as to the state of the compressor?

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like it's an internal issue in the compressor, so it's likely shot.

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

Can't tell. Don't know my way around compressors but would a low-on-freon compressor get super hot?

If it gets super hot, it could be either just a bad compressor or a good compressor without freon... if no freon, then it's a freon leak... a freon leak can be easy or hard to fix, depending mainly on whether you can get to the place where the leak is...

The cooling part is just a special-purpose fridge...

If it was me, I'd find a respected mom-and-pop appliance repair place, ask them how much they'd charge me to diagnose it... I'd get prices for a house call vs. me taking it to them... but I dunno if you wanna go to that much trouble...

• NewMarketSean likes this

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

If it gets super hot, it could be either just a bad compressor or a good compressor without freon... if no freon, then it's a freon leak... a freon leak can be easy or hard to fix, depending mainly on whether you can get to the place where the leak is...

If it was me, I'd find a respected mom-and-pop appliance repair place, ask them how much they'd charge me to diagnose it... I'd get prices for a house call vs. me taking it to them... but I dunno if you wanna go to that much trouble...

I haven't noticed any leaks, but it  was a used appliance before I got it so who knows if it had leaks before. The brand I have apparently has issues with restricted coolant in compressor, so that might be the problem.

Any service call will likely cost me $100 or more, and it's not worth it. Looking to buy a used one, or convert a freezer into a kegerator.

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

I haven't noticed any leaks, but it  was a used appliance before I got it so who knows if it had leaks before. The brand I have apparently has issues with restricted coolant in compressor, so that might be the problem.

Any service call will likely cost me $100 or more, and it's not worth it. Looking to buy a used one, or convert a freezer into a kegerator.

A freon leak is not something you'd notice... A/C and fridge people have a special sniffer tool to find freon leaks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=