651 replies to this topic

#101 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

So our league changed pretty drastically this year. Previously there had been no waiver system, all add/drops were a free for all. So this is the first year we're using a waiver system which made the draft a lot more important. I liked my draft but wish I had been more aggressive for certain guys.

Here's who I got in a 12-team keeper auction league (keepers in bold):

Roethisberger $25

McCoy $48

Miller $19

Edelman $13

D. Thomas $31

Maclin $17

Walsh $1

Chiefs DST $1

Gray $4

D. Johnson (ARZ RB) $1

D. Williams (MIA RB) $1

Zenner $1

Agholor $8

Funchess $3

Bengals DST $1

Ravens DST $1

I grabbed 3 defenses so I can stream them -- I won't be able to pick up any defense I want week to week. People laughed at me for doing it, but they didnt realize how the change in our rules impacted that.

Roethlisberger doesn't have a bye until week 11, I'll probably grab Alex Smith or someone like that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

Had all three of my drafts today. My last of the three I absolutely hate. I mean, Miller, Anderson, My QBs, are about the least sexiest guys I could pick.

Tannehill/Flacco committee
L. Miller
C.J. Anderson
A. Brown
M. Evans
O. Daniels
B. Cooks (Flex)

First draft I like

A. Rodgers
A. Abdullah
C. Ivory
Megatron
M. Evans
O. Daniels
K. Allen (Flex)

Second draft I like. At least Ive cornered the TE market if I need a trade to upgrade at RB.

D. Brees
J. Stewart
C. Ivory
A. Brown
V. Jackson
Gronk
J. Graham (Flex)

I didnt have a single pick in the top six to land one of the elite RBs (AP Bell or Charles) So, Im putting a lot of stock in Ivory being a bell cow while a lot of the league is going by committee. And a lot of stock in Peyton continuing to hook up TEs in the red zone. In all drafts I went heavy on RB depth on my benches.

Really like the first squad listed.  Just gotta hope you avoid any real dud weeks out of your QB tandem.

Second one I don't like the RBs but otherwise it's a very good draft, and if Ivory hits like you've said you're betting on, then it'll be a major contender as the WR and QB are studly. 

3rd team I think is gonna struggle.  Brown and Gronk are studs, but I think Brees takes a big step back and Graham's value is wasted as a flex, you should look to trade him pronto.  I think he falls back into a group with Olsen and Kelce this year rather than steps abck up to clear top tier with Gronk.  He just won't have the volume he had in NO.  And then the same issues with RBs as team #2.

I think you and I are on opposite ends of the fantasy strategy spectrum!  Lots of ways to skin a cat, ends up being all about avoiding high picks that bust and finding some late-round or FA/waiver guys that help you out.

• Mike in STL likes this

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

10 team, standard scoring (except Pass TDs are 6). I drafted 8th.
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K

Side Note: This league drafts a little differently. You have to draft a set number of each position (e.g. 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 5 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 D/ST, 2 K).

QB: Tony Romo, Cam Newton
RB: LeVeon Bell (keeper), Alfred Morris, LeGarrette Blount, Giovani Bernard
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Odell Beckham Jr, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Roddy White
TE: Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker
D/ST: Ravens, Patriots
K: Dan Carpenter, Matt Prater

12 team, standard scoring. I picked 4th:

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: LeVeon Bell, Alfred Morris, LeGarrette Blount, Lorenzo Taliaferro, David Cobb
WR: Amari Cooper, Vincent Jackson, Nelson Agholor, Roddy White, Martavis Bryant, Breshad Perriman, Marvin Jones
TE: Jordan Cameron
D/ST: Ravens
K: Matt Prater

I went a little heavy on the suspended players this weekend.

I'm not in any 10-team leagues, so it's tough to gauge compared to my usual 12-team leagues, but that sounds like a great squad to me.  I think Bernard is a big-time sleeper, his value is way down and he could still get plenty of touches and if Hill gets hurt he's a top-20 overall guy.

Second squad is gonna be a struggle early especially at RB with the suspensions and injuries.  But Luck perhaps can win you a week on his own until those guys are back, and once they are I really like the QB and RB combo.  Counting on a lot of guys I don't love at WR, but especially once Bryant is back you should be fine.

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

So our league changed pretty drastically this year. Previously there had been no waiver system, all add/drops were a free for all. So this is the first year we're using a waiver system which made the draft a lot more important. I liked my draft but wish I had been more aggressive for certain guys.

Here's who I got in a 12-team keeper auction league (keepers in bold):

Roethisberger $25

McCoy $48

Miller $19

Edelman $13

D. Thomas $31

Maclin $17

Walsh $1

Chiefs DST $1

Gray $4

D. Johnson (ARZ RB) $1

D. Williams (MIA RB) $1

Zenner $1

Agholor $8

Funchess $3

Bengals DST $1

Ravens DST $1

I grabbed 3 defenses so I can stream them -- I won't be able to pick up any defense I want week to week. People laughed at me for doing it, but they didnt realize how the change in our rules impacted that.

Roethlisberger doesn't have a bye until week 11, I'll probably grab Alex Smith or someone like that.

I can't approve drafting 3 defenses.  You'll have to explain how the rules made streaming via FA impossible :)

Love the rest of the team, though.  Except who is your TE?  That's also only $175, so I'm guessing you bought a significant TE and just didn't type him in here?  Or is $175 your league budget?

• NewMarketSean likes this

#105 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

I can't approve drafting 3 defenses.  You'll have to explain how the rules made streaming via FA impossible :)

Love the rest of the team, though.  Except who is your TE?  That's also only $175, so I'm guessing you bought a significant TE and just didn't type him in here?  Or is $175 your league budget?

I guess a DST would be available to grab on Sunday but I think a lot of people stream defenses week to week and I didnt want to worry about needing to grab a shitty DST. I guess I didn't really need the Bengals DST, but I think they'll be more useful than any other $1 player I would have grabbed at the end of the draft.

It's a WR/TE league so they are interchangeable.

$175 was the draft cap, expands to $200 during the season.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#106 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Did pretty well yesterday.  10 team league:

QB:  Rodgers

RB:  Lynch, Forte, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Matt Jones (who I love this year), Jerick McKinon

WR:  Sanders, DeSean Jax, Jarvis Landry, Eric Decker, John Brown

TE:  Julius Thomas, Zach Ertz

K:  Hauschka

D:  Jets

Generally I just go with whatever D is playing a bad team.  Jets have the Browns week 1 at home. Yum.  Only concern on my team is WR depth.  We start 3 WRs and if one of them goes down I'm stuck with Decker or Brown in my lineup.  Once Foster comes back he or Doug Martin is getting moved for a WR.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

Just don't ever hesitate to drop one of the ones you aren't going to use in a given week if there is someone available to pick up that would help you.

Smart to not take a TE then if they are the same as WR.

Does the $200 cap mean you can't ever go over that even in trade?  So if, say, Devin Funchess ends up being a stud WR and you want to trade him for a stud RB, you can't trade him for a guy making over $28 ($175 + $28 - $3 = $200)?  Interesting, if so, I've never played in a league that actually had a cap in-season.

• DuffMan likes this

#108 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

Yeah the expanded cap is so people can make trades during the season and bring in some more expensive players. You can't go over it. It also prevents people from helping out others and making one-sided trades.

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

Did pretty well yesterday.  10 team league:

QB:  Rodgers

RB:  Lynch, Forte, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Matt Jones (who I love this year), Jerick McKinon

WR:  Sanders, DeSean Jax, Jarvis Landry, Eric Decker, John Brown

TE:  Julius Thomas, Zach Ertz

K:  Hauschka

D:  Jets

Generally I just go with whatever D is playing a bad team.  Jets have the Browns week 1 at home. Yum.  Only concern on my team is WR depth.  We start 3 WRs and if one of them goes down I'm stuck with Decker or Brown in my lineup.  Once Foster comes back he or Doug Martin is getting moved for a WR.

Love this team.  Find someone with stud WR in need of a RB and be ready to pounce when it's time.  The 3 WR thing is the only concern.  Jets might have a good enough defense that you don't have to bother with streaming.

#110 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

10 team, standard scoring (except Pass TDs are 6). I drafted 8th.

Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K

Side Note: This league drafts a little differently. You have to draft a set number of each position (e.g. 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 5 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 D/ST, 2 K).

QB: Tony Romo, Cam Newton

RB: LeVeon Bell (keeper), Alfred Morris, LeGarrette Blount, Giovani Bernard

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Odell Beckham Jr, Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Roddy White

TE: Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker

D/ST: Ravens, Patriots

K: Dan Carpenter, Matt Prater

12 team, standard scoring. I picked 4th:

QB: Andrew Luck

RB: LeVeon Bell, Alfred Morris, LeGarrette Blount, Lorenzo Taliaferro, David Cobb

WR: Amari Cooper, Vincent Jackson, Nelson Agholor, Roddy White, Martavis Bryant, Breshad Perriman, Marvin Jones

TE: Jordan Cameron

D/ST: Ravens

K: Matt Prater

I went a little heavy on the suspended players this weekend.

I'm not in any 10-team leagues, so it's tough to gauge compared to my usual 12-team leagues, but that sounds like a great squad to me.  I think Bernard is a big-time sleeper, his value is way down and he could still get plenty of touches and if Hill gets hurt he's a top-20 overall guy.

Second squad is gonna be a struggle early especially at RB with the suspensions and injuries.  But Luck perhaps can win you a week on his own until those guys are back, and once they are I really like the QB and RB combo.  Counting on a lot of guys I don't love at WR, but especially once Bryant is back you should be fine.

Yeah, I love the value I got with Bernard. He was one of the last picks I made in that draft. Couldn't believe he dropped that far. I'm going for a 3-peat in that league.

I definitely got into some RB trouble while drafting the second team. Every time I was targeting a back to cover for me in week 1, they got drafted a spot or two ahead of me. Now I have to hope Cobb gets some week 1 carries in Tennessee.

As for the WRs, I'm pretty much counting on Cooper bein a stud. And hopefully Agholor benefits from playing in the Eagles offense. I definitely took some flyers at receiver.

#111 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

Why Yahoo draft grades are a joke. 

Yes, someone in one of my leagues drafted Buffalo defense.....wait for it....in the FOURTH ROUND!!!!

Yahoo says, "the league overlooked a gem and he made the highest value pick of the round."

So that was a good play? I don't know what this means. So I should have drafted Buffalo D instead of Drew Brees in the fourth? Nah. I'm good. Besides there are at least two weeks it's probably wise to not start the Bills D. Week 1 opening with Indy. They miss Brady the first time in week 2 but get him in week 11. Toss up at this point if you would start them against Philly week 13. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#112 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

Will the Bills Jets games this year have an over under above 30?

@bopper33

#113 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Will the Bills Jets games this year have an over under above 30?

Are we talking points or pass attempts by both teams?

Either way I'm taking the under.

#114 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

Points.

I've beeng gambling on football for a long time and I can never recall an over/under being less than 30.  But in this case, it might be.  I will tell you this; if the o/u is above, like, 34, I am betting BIG on the under.

@bopper33

#115 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yeah the yahoo draft rankings (and frankly their pre-season projections) are ridiculous.

#116 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

I got a C for keeping Julius Thomas, which was my 3rd round pick, and it mocked me for taking Ty Montgomery.  HAHA OK Yahoo, laugh on.

• JeremyStrain likes this

@fuzydunlop

#117 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

I got a C for keeping Julius Thomas, which was my 3rd round pick, and it mocked me for taking Ty Montgomery.  HAHA OK Yahoo, laugh on.

Well, I kind of hope you are in a deep league if you took Montgomery. Im in a 14 teamer so pickens are slim, and he went undrafted. Do you know something we dont, watching those Stanford games in the bay area?
@BSLMikeRandall

#118 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

With Nelson out for the year, and Cobb having shoulder issues, he's in line for 3rd WR on the Pack at worst, and maybe 2nd if Cobb has any time out.

@fuzydunlop

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

With Nelson out for the year, and Cobb having shoulder issues, he's in line for 3rd WR on the Pack at worst, and maybe 2nd if Cobb has any time out.

I assume he would be the kick returner if Cobb is out too.

Also just heard Thomas is out 4-5 weeks. Think it was a broken finger a couple weeks ago but they just put now put a timetable on it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

Two of Ivory, Spiller, Crowell, Coleman (RB/FLEX)

Wheaton or Garçon at WR, or both with the same FLEX as above

PPR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=