8 replies to this topic

#1 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Eight other teams also banned due to poor Academic Progress Rate.

http://msn.foxsports... ... res-062012

#2 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

I hate the APR. It penalizes teams that have players transfer out or leave early for the pros. Carolina is always a honor school in this, but when Larry Drew II (JERK) and the Wear twins all transferred out in one season, their score plummeted. It's still in the acceptable range, but they didn't win honors this year for Men's Basketball.

I just don't see how people leaving the program for athletic reasons should negatively affect an academic rating.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hard for me to dislike anything that punishes UConn.

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Man, telling Towson their banned from the NCAA tournament is like telling the fat ugly chick she's not getting through face control at the club.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I gotta be honest when I saw Towson was banned from the NCAA, I thought it was a joke since they'd never get there anyways. Good to know, not only can they not win games, they can't succeed in the classroom.
@levineps

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

I hate the APR. It penalizes teams that have players transfer out or leave early for the pros. Carolina is always a honor school in this, but when Larry Drew II (JERK) and the Wear twins all transferred out in one season, their score plummeted. It's still in the acceptable range, but they didn't win honors this year for Men's Basketball.

I just don't see how people leaving the program for athletic reasons should negatively affect an academic rating.

I agree wholeheartedly. Where are all of the people slamming Harvard's business school because people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg left to pursue their careers before graduating?

One caveat to what you said....transfers do not hurt a program's APR as long as the student-athlete leaves in good academic standing. And thank goodness for that, or the Terps' football team wouldn't be eligible to play in a bowl game until at least 2020. :lol:

#7 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:55 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. Where are all of the people slamming Harvard's business school because people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg left to pursue their careers before graduating?

One caveat to what you said....transfers do not hurt a program's APR as long as the student-athlete leaves in good academic standing. And thank goodness for that, or the Terps' football team wouldn't be eligible to play in a bowl game until at least 2020. :lol:

Are you sure? Don't they still need to graduate within the 5 years or else? Good academic standing is questionable when you start to figure in any credits lost for the transfer itself.

-Walter Sobchak

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Are you sure? Don't they still need to graduate within the 5 years or else? Good academic standing is questionable when you start to figure in any credits lost for the transfer itself.

I think as long as they were in good standing when granted a transfer that the school they leave is in the clear. But this is the NCAA, where fairness and equity don't appear in the dictionary.

#9 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I think as long as they were in good standing when granted a transfer that the school they leave is in the clear. But this is the NCAA, where fairness and equity don't appear in the dictionary.

I check on this, and you are correct. The issue is that some players choose to transfer mid-season. So, in Carolina's case, the Wear twins don't hurt their APR, but Drew II does, as does Will Graves, who was suspended from the team.

How someone breaking team rules and therefore being suspended should negatively affect your academic standing is well beyond me. The whole system is in dire need of an overhaul.

The worst part is that the score you get affects you for 4 years! So, for example, UNC football got a terrible score this year because of all the suspensions from the recruiting scandal. They didn't get a further postseason ban (beyond the one-year they got from the violations) because they had such great scores the past 3 seasons. But now this bad score stays on their record for 3 more years, and if they have a so-so year one year, it could push their 4-year average below the postseason threshold.

-Walter Sobchak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=