Photo

Terps AD Kevin Anderson to Stanford? Apparently Not.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

https://twitter.com/... ... 1982863360

Testudo
‏@TerrapinNation

Also hearing from multiple sources now that ‪#Terps‬ AD Kevin Anderson to Stanford might be nothing more than a mere formality at this point.

Edit 6/28/12: Anderson says rumors are false.

#2 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

https://twitter.com/TerrapinNation/status/215434061982863360

Testudo
‏@TerrapinNation

Congrats Terps fans!!

I'm not really a Maryland guy, but I'm guessing from what I've read that this would make many of you happy, no?
@beginthebegin71

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

My week would be looking up for sure.
@JeremyMStrain

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

This would be such sad news if true...

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

This would be such sad news if true...

Need a box of tissues to dry those sarcastic tears? :)

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

So, if Terps football struggles again this year and a new AD is brought in, do you all think Edsall would be gone or does he get more time?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

So, if Terps football struggles again this year and a new AD is brought in, do you all think Edsall would be gone or does he get more time?

If the Terps were a disaster again this year, they would probably find the funds to replace Edsall somehow. If the Terps are average, hard to imagine a change taking place. The department is not financially strong enough to justify being Edsall to leave, and paying a replacement; if the wheels have not completely fallen off again.

The players that are left on the roster have bought in. The recruiting is on an up-swing. There is talent returning at a number of positions (just a general lack of depth). This yr figures to be better, can't be worse.

Regarding Anderson... Stanford is a great job, and I can understand Anderson being interested. Especially after he has already hired the Football and Basketball Coach at MD. He was never going to have bigger decisions than he had already made. Still... he talked about wanting to take MD from 'Good to Great.' He would be leaving before that job was done, regardless if you would be happy by his departure or not.

#8 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Good for him. Good luck if true. Shows us that KA is apparently still highly regarded in AD circles, if not in fan circles. I would argue that Stanford is a much bigger job than UM is.
Perception is reality.

#9 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm probably one of the few who likes Anderson, so I'd be dissappointed if this is true.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Good for him. Good luck if true. Shows us that KA is apparently still highly regarded in AD circles, if not in fan circles. I would argue that Stanford is a much bigger job than UM is.

Didn't Andy Geiger go Stanford to Maryland, granted that was 20 years ago and I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances of why he left.
@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Not a KA fan, his main job is to hire quality football and men's basketball(and to a lesser extent women's baskebtall) coaches. He's at best 1/2 right now, maybe Edsall can turn it around and while things look good with Turgeon you never know. Missing the NIT was OK this year, not making the NCAA's in the near future will be bad.

He did a horrible job with the football situation IMO, "good to great" and how the Fridge departured was handled. And he could've done a better job with the basketball sitatuion, even if the results will work out.

Won't be sad to see him go. That being said, if he wants to preach to coaches about staying and finishing the job, staying at Maryland for under two years isn't a way to do that.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

With the state of MD athletics not being great, I could see him getting one more year barring a complete disaster. He has a guaranteed contract. And to those who say it's a sunk cost, ok but you're going to have someone else on-top of what you are paying Edsall.

A new AD however is going to have a lot less loyalty to someone they didn't hire.
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

They are doing better in football right now, which is the lifeblood of any athletic program. Basketball wise, it's a downgrade, although their women's program is better. As a whole, it's probably a better job.

I think Maryland is still a premier AD job, so I'm not sure about the "much bigger" line. It's different to say the least, going from a large flagship school on the east coast to one of the top private schools in the country(top one on the west coast).
@levineps

#14 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

They are doing better in football right now, which is the lifeblood of any athletic program. Basketball wise, it's a downgrade, although their women's program is better. As a whole, it's probably a better job.

I think Maryland is still a premier AD job, so I'm not sure about the "much bigger" line. It's different to say the least, going from a large flagship school on the east coast to one of the top private schools in the country(top one on the west coast).

Reason I say it's much bigger is because Stanford sponsors more sports (36), regularly wins the Sears Cup (or whatever it's called now), and has more money to spend on athletics.

So, going from MD where they sponsor 27, soon to be 19 or so, this is a step up in the number of coaches, student athletes, and budgets that the AD has to ultimately oversee.

I'm of the position that an Athletic Director is ultimately responsible for the success of ALL of a school's sports, not just football and men's basketball. Many people disagree with me on that position, and that's fine.

So, from that vantage point, I think that Stanford is a much bigger job.
  • SportsGuy and Greg Pappas like this
Perception is reality.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Reason I say it's much bigger is because Stanford sponsors more sports (36), regularly wins the Sears Cup (or whatever it's called now), and has more money to spend on athletics.

So, going from MD where they sponsor 27, soon to be 19 or so, this is a step up in the number of coaches, student athletes, and budgets that the AD has to ultimately oversee.

I'm of the position that an Athletic Director is ultimately responsible for the success of ALL of a school's sports, not just football and men's basketball. Many people disagree with me on that position, and that's fine.

Good post..I agree.

People tend to forget about all the other sports but its not like MD has been better than Stanford football recently and their bball team has shown to be very good in the past.

The only issue with Stanford is it is harder to land recruits because of the academic standards and of course, that could impact the ADs job down the line.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

From what you saying I agree that Stanford is a bigger job, all I'm saying is Maryland's AD is pretty plum job in itself. As I described I think the jobs are different as D-I Athletics goes with regard to the university mission, conference, school size, market, etc in addition to what you said about bugets and personnel.

Great point about all sports and that's definitely true they are responsible for the whole department, it's their job title after all. However, when Florida when both football and men's basketball titles in the same year, didn't matter what other schools had more titles, they were the "best" athletic program of that year.

What I'm saying is from a public perception POV, the non-revenue sports aren't important enough except to their followers. When football (and to a lesser extent, men's basketball) suffer, all sports suffer, any coach of an "Olympics" sport will tell you that. If Maryland football team and men's basketball team had been doing as well as they did in early 2000s, they would not be in the process of cutting sports teams.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Please yes.

#18 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

From what you saying I agree that Stanford is a bigger job, all I'm saying is Maryland's AD is pretty plum job in itself. As I described I think the jobs are different as D-I Athletics goes with regard to the university mission, conference, school size, market, etc in addition to what you said about bugets and personnel.

Great point about all sports and that's definitely true they are responsible for the whole department, it's their job title after all. However, when Florida when both football and men's basketball titles in the same year, didn't matter what other schools had more titles, they were the "best" athletic program of that year.

What I'm saying is from a public perception POV, the non-revenue sports aren't important enough except to their followers. When football (and to a lesser extent, men's basketball) suffer, all sports suffer, any coach of an "Olympics" sport will tell you that. If Maryland football team and men's basketball team had been doing as well as they did in early 2000s, they would not be in the process of cutting sports teams.

I think we're pretty much in agreement, just the difference being the scale of how much of a step up it is from MD to Stanford.

Don't get me wrong, MD certainly is a plum job. I'm not disputing that at all. That said, Stanford has the money and a whole boatload of sports that apparently do very well. I can see how an AD would rather land at Stanford.
Perception is reality.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think we're pretty much in agreement, just the difference being the scale of how much of a step up it is from MD to Stanford.

Don't get me wrong, MD certainly is a plum job. I'm not disputing that at all. That said, Stanford has the money and a whole boatload of sports that apparently do very well. I can see how an AD would rather land at Stanford.

I'm a Colorado alum, so I'm not so familiar with Stanford quite yet, being our first year in Pac-12. I'd say Maryland is definitely a great job, but I'm biased I know.

I guess what I'm asking is do you think the difference is Stanford is the 5th best and Maryland is like 50th? I got no idea off the top of my head if I had to list every BCS program AD job.

I think if Stanford football can continue it's success it could be one of the best jobs in the country. I guess the ceiling at Stanford is higher than Maryland. I don't see Maryland getting to the caliber Stanford is in football. At the same time, I think the ceiling for Maryland men's basketball is bigger. Stanford is a much better in baseball , tennis, golf teams I believe. Maryland gets the upperhand in lacrosse. :lol: Sorry I don't too much about non-revenue sports.
@levineps

#20 JHTerp01

JHTerp01
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

I would carry that chump to Cali on my back myself if it would help. From Rangoon to the Sean Miller fiasco he has bumbled everything he touched since he got here. He is also clueless when it comes to dealing with a major media market and comes off looking like a moron whenever he opens his mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=