Photo

EDIT: NASCAR

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider NASCAR drivers athletes? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you consider NASCAR drivers athletes?

1. Yes (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

Honestly, I do not know.  I think you could make a dozen arguments.  And we have in this thread :)

I think you could argue the following - having "caused" the accident, wouldn't one think, as Stewart was coming around the front stretch, he would specifically be looking in that area to see what had become of the other car?  Wouldn't you think he'd be looking in that exact spot as soon as he came around, and thus would be more likely to see what was going on than the other car which wasn't involved in the accident?

Now you could spin that the other way as well - that Stewart was so involved looking at the car that he didn't notice the driver had exited the car and was now on the track.

My reason for entering the thread was I thought Weber was getting unfairly piled on for suggesting that Stewart might have been trying to intimidate/scare the other driver.  Weather it is likely or not, given Stewart's history, I just don't see how you completely dismiss it as a possibility.

I just don't think he saw him until it was too late, that's my honest, plain and simple answer.

I'm a NASCAR guy, so i do know his history, which has calmed down considerably since he's become a team owner in recent years. I hear you, I honestly do, but i just don't think it was an issue here at all.

He just didn't see him until it was too late, and it was unavoidable.

Quite likely. I just don't see how you can be 100% about it.

#222 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

Well, if you are actually on fire you stop, drop and roll. Didn't you go to kindergarten? :P

I'm old, damnit. They didn't have fire when I was in kindergarten.

#223 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Except I already won when you said the very thing I said may have happened is more reasonable. But sure, keep being a dick about it for absolutely no good reason.

Yea.  Maybe you could have won if you might have maybe said the thing that I may have possibly said prior.

Maybe.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#224 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Jesus Christ is this thread is brutal.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Weber and Webby. .

#225 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm going to coin a new term here:

I'll feel really dumb if it turns out Stewart actually DID do it on purpose.  I will have braunrodgered myself.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#226 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

But who knows. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, I don't really think time will tell in this case.  The only way it would, one way or the other, would be for Tony Stewart to flat out admit that he did it.  Which unless he has some huge guilt burden is not likely.

#227 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Is there any recording of his communications with his pit crew or do those not exist in the shorter dirt track races?

#228 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Is there any recording of his communications with his pit crew or do those not exist in the shorter dirt track races?

They don't use radios, or at least no one did back when I use to often go.  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even be feasible, the cars are just too loud while they're throttled.

#229 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Reports today say Ward's Father "wants answers" from Tony Stewart..

So a civil suit could be coming for sure.

@beginthebegin71

#230 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Reports today say Ward's Father "wants answers" from Tony Stewart..

So a civil suit could be coming for sure.

Civil suit is a guarantee...and his history will cost him there IMO.

#231 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

They'll sue everyone, of course.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#232 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

The only thing I feel confident about is that Stewart didn't hit the guy on purpose.  I just can't see him thinking, "hmmm, that guy's out on the track yelling at me, guess I'll run him over".  I don't think any reasonable person believes that's what happened.

But, he gunned the engine right as he hits the guy.  I have no idea why he did that - maybe to help him steer away, or maybe to scare the guy.  I agree that civil penalties are likely for Stewart, even if there are no criminal charges.

• SBTarheel likes this

#233 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

The only thing I feel confident about is that Stewart didn't hit the guy on purpose.  I just can't see him thinking, "hmmm, that guy's out on the track yelling at me, guess I'll run him over".  I don't think any reasonable person believes that's what happened.

But, he gunned the engine right as he hits the guy.  I have no idea why he did that - maybe to help him steer away, or maybe to scare the guy.  I agree that civil penalties are likely for Stewart, even if there are no criminal charges.

Yea, If anyone does think that, it probably says more about them than Tony Stewart anyway..

@beginthebegin71

#234 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Witness to Tony Stewart Crash Says Driver Could Not Have Avoided Hitting Other Driver

Also, for some perspective, here's what it looks like from the cockpit of a sprint car.  Notice the obstructed view on the right side (where Ward was):

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#235 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Going to a grand jury. Perhaps there is some evidence/testimony that could warrant charges.

#236 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

The dreaded second video?

BTW, the title of this thread is misleading given its mostly about Tony Stewart. Yes, Nascar drivers are athletes. There are no fat or old drivers who are any good, so being in shape must play a role in keeping your wits about you three hours into a race in a 130 degree car.
@BSLMikeRandall

#237 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

The dreaded second video?

BTW, the title of this thread is misleading given its mostly about Tony Stewart. Yes, Nascar drivers are athletes. There are no fat or old drivers who are any good, so being in shape must play a role in keeping your wits about you three hours into a race in a 130 degree car.

I bet I could beat Tony Stewart in a foot race.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#238 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I bet I could beat Tony Stewart in a foot race.

You could probably beat Matt Wieters in a foot race too.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#239 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

You could probably beat Matt Wieters in a foot race too.

I'm not so sure about that.  Matt Wieters can run further than me.  He can throw way harder than me. He can hit way better than I can.  He can probably lift more than me in any weight bearing exercise.

I can't think of any physical feat that I think Tony Stewart can do better than me, except maybe holding his pee or sitting in a hot car.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#240 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

I'm not so sure about that.  Matt Wieters can run further than me.  He can throw way harder than me. He can hit way better than I can.  He can probably lift more than me in any weight bearing exercise.

I can't think of any physical feat that I think Tony Stewart can do better than me, except maybe holding his pee or sitting in a hot car.

Yeah. Stewart seems like one of the old school guys, like he would fit in back in 60s and 70s when they wernt considered athletes by any means.

But it seems like these days its well known how much they work out and Jimmie Johnson is one of the more famous gym rats. Coincidentally he has what the second most titles ever, or five in row or something?

Maybe they arent all athletes, but being athletic likely helps you perform better.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=