• Please log in to reply
698 replies to this topic

#581 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Call me old school, not cutting the cord, will stick with cable and internet package. Pretty happy with it. Direct TV sucks, had it a few times on vacation rentals, and no thank you. A friend of mine has it on his RV and claims its not bad, for all the traveling he does, once he is able to acquire the signal at his campsite.

A family friend, has cut cable, but if you add up all the cost of netflick, roku, amazon prime, etc, are you really saving anything?

If a family is using a dozen streaming services at ~$10/month each, you're right. There's no savings. For me, it was worth dropping Direct TV. I spent $75/mo and all I really watched was baseball and football. And the Ravens are free with my digital antenna. When they upped my bill to $100, I tapped out. 

It was an easy choice for me, because I don't watch network TV shows. I have Netflix, Hulu & Disney. In total my monthly cost is under $30.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#582 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

If a family is using a dozen streaming services at ~$10/month each, you're right. There's no savings. For me, it was worth dropping Direct TV. I spent $75/mo and all I really watched was baseball and football. And the Ravens are free with my digital antenna. When they upped my bill to $100, I tapped out. 

It was an easy choice for me, because I don't watch network TV shows. I have Netflix, Hulu & Disney. In total my monthly cost is under $30.  

Total is under 30 and includes internet?

Im glad that we have diff options, having lived in an ERA before Cable, we didnt have too many choices, thats for sure.

#583 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:12 AM

I pay $40 a month for 200/200 internet through Fios and $40-50 a month for streaming services. So yeah I’m saving money and loving it. I watch what I want to watch and don’t have to deal with any contract BS.

#584 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

I pay $40 a month for 200/200 internet through Fios and $40-50 a month for streaming services. So yeah I’m saving money and loving it. I watch what I want to watch and don’t have to deal with any contract BS.

What are you doing for sports?  I have enough streaming that I would like to ditch my cable portion but I need my live sports.  O's,  Ravens, Caps.  

#585 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

What are you doing for sports? I have enough streaming that I would like to ditch my cable portion but I need my live sports. O's, Ravens, Caps.

I do the same thing as Bob, very similar costs. YouTube TV has Ravens/Caps/Many sports networks. For O's, there's really no way around having to do MLB.TV with a VPN to trick it into thinking you're out of market. I think I saw AT&T was finally streaming MASN, but they are really expensive.
  • BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#586 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:49 AM

Total is under 30 and includes internet?

Im glad that we have diff options, having lived in an ERA before Cable, we didnt have too many choices, thats for sure.

No, internet is a separate expense. I don't really include that in my TV total, because we both work from home. So I'm paying for internet, no matter what TV options I choose. 

• Old Man likes this

#587 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

No, internet is a separate expense. I don't really include that in my TV total, because we both work from home. So I'm paying for internet, no matter what TV options I choose. 

fair enough.

#588 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

I do the same thing as Bob, very similar costs. YouTube TV has Ravens/Caps/Many sports networks. For O's, there's really no way around having to do MLB.TV with a VPN to trick it into thinking you're out of market. I think I saw AT&T was finally streaming MASN, but they are really expensive.

How big of a hassle is it to use a VPN. I haven't given it any serious consideration, because I've read that certain services won't work with a VPN, so I'd have to swap out devices, depending on what I want to watch. From what I understand, Netflix goes out of their way to ensure their service won't conveniently work with a VPN.  

#589 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

How big of a hassle is it to use a VPN. I haven't given it any serious consideration, because I've read that certain services won't work with a VPN, so I'd have to swap out devices, depending on what I want to watch. From what I understand, Netflix goes out of their way to ensure their service won't conveniently work with a VPN.

It isn't always super easy, but a lot of the times it is. You have to toggle it on/off depending on what you're steaming. I really only need it for MLV.TV. I use a Fire Stick, because you can use the VPN easily.

#590 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:20 PM

It isn't always super easy, but a lot of the times it is. You have to toggle it on/off depending on what you're steaming. I really only need it for MLV.TV. I use a Fire Stick, because you can use the VPN easily.

I have thought about getting a fire stick, just for that reason. Roku is pretty militant about that stuff. For a time, I had a "developer channel" on my Roku stick. It was technically legal, but it also danced on the boundaries of what a channel could/couldn't offer. Roku kept shutting them down, so they'd create another one, and get shut down again. Finally, they gave up and just moved on. It was good while it lasted, because I could stream any MLB game and countless new home release movies.    

#591 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

For me it's annoying I didn't do it sooner.

DirecTV was charging me over $200/month.  YouTubeTV, even with the increase fee, is $65.  Internet is $50.

Depending on how many "friends" you have, you may not have to pay a lot for a ton of other logins (amazon, HBO, Netflix, etc).

I am saving a lot money per month and it's not close.

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#592 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

What are you doing for sports? I have enough streaming that I would like to ditch my cable portion but I need my live sports. O's, Ravens, Caps.

Ricker nailed it. ESPN+ is pretty good too.

#593 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

We can also hope MASN joins the 21st century and eventually offers a streaming subscription like 27 other teams
  • JeremyStrain and Mark Carver like this

@bopper33

#594 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

Anyway with YouTube tv almost every “must see” college game is on. They now also offer red zone as an add on so, yea, pay an extra $10 Sept-Dec. Has mlb nba nfl networks.

For me I can’t really recall not being able to see something I want to watch

@bopper33

#595 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

We can also hope MASN joins the 21st century and eventually offers a streaming subscription like 27 other teams

I don't see it happening. The Angelos family seems to enjoy alienating their fan base. This isn't new tech that no one understands. So there's got to be another reason. And I don't think it's the MASN dispute. It's not like streaming MASN would only benefit the O's.  

#596 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

I don't see it happening. The Angelos family seems to enjoy alienating their fan base. This isn't new tech that no one understands. So there's got to be another reason. And I don't think it's the MASN dispute. It's not like streaming MASN would only benefit the O's.  

MASN is pretty much low end on the budget scale of things, I suspect their technology might not support streaming without improving the equipment.

I think they are content with their cash cow, just the way it is.

I think investing in better equipment and then charging streaming rates for the customers would tend to pay for itself and then turn into a bigger profit, but thats just my own opinion.

#597 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

Which subscription service would have EPL  games?

#598 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

MASN looks so far behind I’m surprised it’s even broadcast in HD.
@BSLMikeRandall

#599 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:31 AM

MASN looks so far behind I’m surprised it’s even broadcast in HD.

its all that high price talent in the booth. :) :) :) :)

We can poke fun at our guys, but dang, most of the other teams are so bad, it makes our guys look like HOFers.

#600 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

Which subscription service would have EPL games?

YouTube TV has several NBC channels. I've enjoyed watching Everton tear it up so far this year.
  • DuffMan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=