698 replies to this topic

#681 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:47 PM

After March Madness I'll pause my YouTube subscription (again) 

That's where I'm probably headed. All set with MLBTV for the O's....the money I save pausing YTTV more than pays for that. Doubt I'd watch much NBA playoffs even if I kept it, and can still watch the Finals on ABC if I want to anyway. Other than the lacrosse Final Four, which maybe I'll see if there's a 1-week free trial I can take advantage of, there's pretty much nothing I need live TV for until September.

• CantonJester likes this

#682 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:59 PM

That's where I'm probably headed. All set with MLBTV for the O's....the money I save pausing YTTV more than pays for that. Doubt I'd watch much NBA playoffs even if I kept it, and can still watch the Finals on ABC if I want to anyway. Other than the lacrosse Final Four, which maybe I'll see if there's a 1-week free trial I can take advantage of, there's pretty much nothing I need live TV for until September.

Well, Hulu Live does have The History Channel. American Pickers is pretty much the only non-streaming show I care to keep up with these days. 

#683 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 03:59 PM

As a new cord cutter, how do I know if a channel keeps freezing if it’s bad internet on my end, or a problem on the network end,

About the last half hour or so watching CBS on Hulu TV, it has been freezing up, giving an error message. It won’t play for more than 20 seconds straight without freezing. If I put on something with probably no viewership, it plays just fine.

Feel like if my internet is weak, nothing would play right. But I also had zero problems during the Super Bowl which has the most viewers ever. So I don’t get it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#684 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:18 PM

It’s likely too many people trying to access the same thing at once. Reboot and see if that helps.

Additionally you can always google speed test to see if your internet is struggling
  • Mike in STL likes this

@fuzydunlop

#685 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:19 PM

Also Super Bowl was fox. These companies are terrible at anticipating surges
  • Mike in STL likes this

@fuzydunlop

#686 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2023 - 05:09 PM

Also Super Bowl was fox. These companies are terrible at anticipating surges

You’re terrible at anticipating surges

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#687 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

Last NFL season was my first one living outside of Maryland, so I had to sign up for DTV to watch the Ravens. I canceled after the SB. Now that Sunday Ticket has moved to YouTube, I'll sign up for football. At this point, they're still deciding how to offer it as a stand alone channel as well as a premium for existing subscribers. I'll go with whichever is less expensive. It's funny, I had to leave Baltimore City to watch both the O's and Ravens (since I cut the cord in 2017). MLB is totally bassackwards. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#688 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 07:54 PM

So I used to be able to use Unlocator to obfuscate my DNS in order to get around blackout restrictions with MLB.TV. 

That is no longer working. I have to get on evaluating stronger VPNs. 

#689 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:46 PM

I had to call Sirius the other day because they were charging us $30 for one radio.

One radio.

I use the app in my car and the wife has the active account in her car.

I was like who the hell do they think they are???

I remember when that shit was $12 a month and you could talk them down to like $6 a month.

I got them down to a reasonable amount but I’m still pissed about what I pay to listen to Stern and the 80s and 90s countdowns each week.

That’s all I use them for but I do enjoy the content I get out of them and wasn’t ready to cancel.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#690 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:14 PM

I had to call Sirius the other day because they were charging us $30 for one radio.

One radio.

I use the app in my car and the wife has the active account in her car.

I was like who the hell do they think they are???

I remember when that shit was $12 a month and you could talk them down to like $6 a month.

I got them down to a reasonable amount but I’m still pissed about what I pay to listen to Stern and the 80s and 90s countdowns each week.

That’s all I use them for but I do enjoy the content I get out of them and wasn’t ready to cancel.

Yea mine went up to $30 recently. You basically have to call and threaten to cancel because the charge is too high once or twice a year.

I use it for a decent amount of stations and, frankly, I’d pay the $30. But since I don’t have to pay that it’s worth the call.

@bopper33

#691 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:24 PM

For Sirius/XM to be worth $30 a month, they would need to have a "Deep Tracks" type of station for every freakin genre imaginable. But they do not have that. Instead, they have a dozen ways to listen to dog crap hair metal from the 80s, and they basically shove the entire history of alternative music into 'XMU'. The angry white guy rock/rap of the 90s (thanks Kurt) dominates the other nonsense station. 

Gimme Underground Garage and the Grateful Dead channel and I'll call it a day. Oh yeah, they knocked the Loft off the dial. WTF was that about?

Get off my lawn. 

#692 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:32 PM

I haven't had a Sirius/XM account for like 15 years, but $30/mo seems insane for radio. I don't spend enough time in my car to make that worthwhile, since that's the only place I'd ever listen. I have Spotify premium for $10 month, which is pretty much the sweet spot for my needs.

#693 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 01:30 PM

So I used to be able to use Unlocator to obfuscate my DNS in order to get around blackout restrictions with MLB.TV. 

That is no longer working. I have to get on evaluating stronger VPNs.

Spoiler

So basically I have to call tech support within the next 30 days in order to see if I need to get my $ back.

#694 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:22 PM

Try Canada instead. It’s easier to fool when it’s out of the country.

@fuzydunlop

#695 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:02 PM

Try Canada instead. It’s easier to fool when it’s out of the country.

Yeah I thought about that. But then was curious if the broadcasts were limited to the territories where Toronto and Montreal reside. Then I got distracted and realized I needed to get ready to head out to the M-I-L's for Easter Dinner. While on the road I was wondering aloud (much to my wife's frustration) if I could run a second network out of my modem, where all it really would be is an un-broadcasted vpn tunnel to my streaming device. 

I'll give the Canada thing a shot tomorrow night. 

#696 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 April 2023 - 11:50 PM

It’ll work. If they have a Netflix specific one, use that. MLB.tv works worldwide

@fuzydunlop

#697 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:09 PM

It’ll work. If they have a Netflix specific one, use that. MLB.tv works worldwide

I set it to Canada - and that works! 

#698 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:12 PM

The MASN app continues to be the lousiest app known to man.

Does anyone else ever have issues where it’ll randomly freeze? Or just randomly zoom in so you only see like 2/3 of the screen?

#699 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:42 PM

The MASN app continues to be the lousiest app known to man.

Does anyone else ever have issues where it’ll randomly freeze? Or just randomly zoom in so you only see like 2/3 of the screen?

I’ve had enough of the app and VPN nonsense. Once YTV axed MLB Network i axed them. DTV stream (which is its own special kind of awful) it is.
  • Chris B likes this

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=